Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-06-2022, 08:26 PM

Default What fuels your passion?

Where does your shooting passion lie?

A couple quality rounds fired on a target creating a nice grouping?

Blasting away with something cheap like 7.62x39

Trap or skeet?

Maybe wrist breaking big bore revolvers?

I have met all types of shooting enthusiasts and I think all have their time and place and every shooter should be free to enjoy whatever type of legal shooting he/she enjoys the most.

I really enjoy an afternoon of informal skelet, I love whacking steel at the outer limits of my rifles capability, I love working on drills that make me a better hunter ( shooting wise) and i love going out and plinking with the kids with the 22s wether we do accuracy drills or shooting tree or seing who can hit what first....my least favorite type of shooting personally is mag dump style where the objective is just to make as much noise and fling as much lead as possible.....although i have been known to dump a few 5 rounders out of the old sks a time or two.....my two oldest boys are classic examples of this....my first born is a precision guy...my second is a spray and pray mag dump type lol both are great shots but my oldest would rather try to send one shot and hit the primer out of a 12g hull at 50yds and loves "spinning turrets" while my second would rather try to see if he can blast a pop can with the full tube mag of his mod60 before it can fall off the sawhorse....both love shooting and will never turn down a opportunity to send a few....but both have very different perspectives on what they enjoy about shooting..

Hopefully this is a fun thread to talk about what excites us about the shooting sports...please no dumping on someone else who shares a different sense of fun than you
Old 03-06-2022, 08:57 PM

For me it is absolutely fullbore Palma match rifles.
Nothing excites me more in the shooting world than laying down a good string at long range with
sling'n' irons. Nothing !
Cat
Old 03-06-2022, 09:31 PM

I personally love getting others to shoot or introduce them to firearms!
Old 03-06-2022, 09:43 PM

What gets it for me is having a rifle that I had trouble getting proper groups with to say it was good enough for hunting, spending the time playing with different loads then Bingo you find that one load that works well for all the effort put in.

Some rifles you hit that sweet spot after only a few tries and others you had to try different powders ,bullets ETC .

I enjoy shooting from multiple positions so I keep practicing on each one of them to see where I need to work on more to stay fine tuned on what may present itself when the real deal steps out .

Our eyes, concentration and depth perception changes as the years go by, so you have to change also whatever is needed to adjust for that correct POI .

Keeps the gears grinding upstairs.

As long as you still enjoy it don't stop.

CHEERS
JD
Old 03-06-2022, 10:09 PM

I’m primarily a short range centerfire group shooter (limited to 300M at local Range). Reloading has become an important part of the “sport”.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:27 PM

Default Choices

For me its small centerfires and Airborne gophers
Old 03-07-2022, 06:09 AM

I enjoy most shooting sports, my favorite is wingshooting with a shotgun, primarily birds, skeet and sportingclays.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:56 AM

Target shooting with various rifles for years , .22's and centerfire , mostly hunting iron. Now the bench rest bug has bit hard and a new discipline with the various precision reloading procedures but lots of fun.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:02 AM

Trap for me
Old 03-07-2022, 08:23 AM

Mostly Retumbo
Old 03-07-2022, 08:24 AM

Love shooting centerfire at the range, always with the motivation of self-improvement and load development. My idea of a really great day is 100 (or more) exploding gophers.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I’m primarily a short range centerfire group shooter (limited to 300M at local Range). Reloading has become an important part of the “sport”.
Myself as well mostly short range. Reloading used to be a chore, but when I break it it into smaller lots I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I am hoping to enter the King of the Hill or whatever it is in Rosebud this year, something to aim for. I still do a bit of coyote hunting, that is always enjoyable on a nice day. Oh and ground squirrels, love that.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-07-2022, 09:45 AM

Right now, its working up loads in my rifles, as I just started to reload, and the first loads rolled off about 3 weeks ago.

Shooting my 1895 Winchester lever, 303 Brit, and shooting the 200 yards gong, with open sights. I think it is around 14" square, but forgot to measure it yesterday. Just love the (bong). This was using factory for now, to get some empties to reload with.

Next range trip will be using my own rolled 150 grain speer point rounds. Then maybe start trying for the 300 yard gong. We all need goals, right!
Old 03-07-2022, 09:47 AM

Fuels‼️ At over $1.50 a litre‼️ Thank you Mr. Putin‼️
Old 03-07-2022, 10:46 AM

For me it’s hunting particularly small game. . The enjoyment of the gun is how it feels in field. Time spent alone with a shotgun, and hopefully a dog next year. I’m looking at reloading on the next few years. Kinda amass the supplies before I try and really kick into it. I’m also going to get some actual skeet/trap lessons at silver willow and see if busting clay does anything for me besides making me a better shot.

Which is interesting because as a teen I was all demo ranch. How many of this stops a bullet type thing.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:13 AM

To me the passion is the honing of many skills to create that one moment of opportunity. Knowing that everything came together to create that moment is my fuel.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 03-07-2022, 01:44 PM

As much as I like hunting coyotes I’m getting whimpy in my old age and hate the cold. It puts a smile on my face every time I hear that gong ring at a 1000 plus yards. I also enjoy working up a load and shooting tiny groups
Old 03-08-2022, 07:55 PM

For allot of years, I'd have answered that question; "trap shooting". It's the first real experience I had shooting a firearm and looking back, my parents must have had allot of trust in me. I was a member of my high school's trap and skeet club, and the smell of shotgunning in the cold fall air...really made an impression. I shot the only gun I had, an inherited Remington 11-48. It was my grandfather's shotgun, and I still own it/shoot it today. Having that to look forward to every week made those high school years bearable. lol Never shot better than 23/25, average was about 19-21.

Today-still love shooting clays, which is mostly at a buddy's farm using one of those spring-loaded jobs.

Like shooting groundhogs here in S. Ontario, and a nice .204 Ruger makes that pretty easy at the ranges I tend to "engage" them. Usually over 100 yards, but only the odd one past 250.

Guess that's more a history of my "passions", I'll get to the point!

Ontario-long days on a buddy's farm shooting a bolt action .22LR from my homemade/portable bench. Usually 50 yards, some reactive targets.

Alberta-my VERY favourite thing to do in recent years=shooting gophers! I've been out there a few times to do this, and just this..day-in, day-out. Last trip was a few years back, had to really work to find them. Enjoyed every second of that trip too! For allot of reasons that make $ sense, I shoot 22LR..but have had the opportunity to use a .223, 6.5CM, 12ga, 17HMR etc. Would dearly love to live out there and be able to dust-off the 17 Hornet and take some apart that way. Or at least, take a few shots with it to give the 22LR a break.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:11 PM

Watching beavers do their version of the titanic.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:25 PM

Gophers for the win!!!
Quite a few different hunting rifles & chamberings need to stay sharp on.
Practice form & different positions.
Practice the mental game. Every shot on the big guns dead 7 x 7.
Dry practice in bad weather. Hold, feel, aim.....

Etc, etc

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-08-2022, 09:11 PM

Honestly, watching my 12 year old’s growing love of the sport. In the last year he’s run the gambit of 22 / 17 at 50m to trap to 223 out to 100m to 22 pistol and this summer will be reaching out to longer distances. Our time at the range and reloading room have become a treasured reprieve from this crazy world where we can relax.