Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Default Frabil Auger is Garbage

Hello All,
Just letting everyone know about this. I bought a Frabil auger last year from Cabela's in the spring. Took it out of the box this year started it up in the garage everything went well. Took it out yesterday and guess what. Frabil's don't like cold weather I pulled to beat all hell and nothing, threw the tent up and threw the heater and auger in the tent and after about 40 mins the auger fired up just fine. Same scenario when I moved locations. Talked to Cabelas and they have had problems the guy told me to bring it in they will give store credit. So for anyone wanting to buy one DON'T. Also can anyone recommend a decent replacement, I already have a 3 Hp Jiffy and wanted something a little lighter for early season. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM

I believe that Frabill cancelled there power auger program.
Maybe for good reason.
GL&GF
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 AM

yeah Frabill makes terrible everythig fyi. I bought on of thier 4 man tents and the bars broke 3 times and the disc eventually ripped out of the wall. Spent like 300 bucks on it and used it 4 times then threw it in the garbage.

Never again!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

thanks for the heads-up fellows. seems like more and more companies are building junk these days (but they sure look flashy in the store).
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Get a strike master

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Jiffy
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

X2

Frabill products are junk.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM

The scoops are good though, mine was flat for days under the shack and has popped right back to form good as new
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

Eskimo auger with the viper engine, you can't beat it. I got the 10" with 71cc viper engine and that thing will twist a 200lb man around the hole on glare ice. Never had a problem with it starting and I was out in -30 a couple times last year and high winds. Just remember to push the decompression thingy and give er 3 pumps on the primer and BAM she fires right up every time. Awesome, I will never buy another type of auger.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Did the frabil not have the viper motor also?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Thats interesting since the Frabill Auger is made by...Eskimo !

If yours did not start in the cold was it last years fuel or was it justed flooded.

Every year Ive been hearing this on this site ,worked good the year before, but not this year ! With every brand . Lot of guys just leave the old fuel in .
Idle/start jet gets plugged up with old 2 cycle mixed fuel ,and then its hard starting.
I've done. Its great to have warrentte
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned

Cool

Yep , old jiffy picked up at a second hand tool shop 5yrs , has not missed a beat . Two week old frabill popup, buddy could not figure out ,saved 50$ 3yrs no issues . Maybe I'm just lucky. Look after your stuff it will look after you . The little book reading things in the box contain instructions for care . Just a thought .
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Eskimo auger with the viper engine, you can't beat it. I got the 10" with 71cc viper engine and that thing will twist a 200lb man around the hole on glare ice. Never had a problem with it starting and I was out in -30 a couple times last year and high winds. Just remember to push the decompression thingy and give er 3 pumps on the primer and BAM she fires right up every time. Awesome, I will never buy another type of auger.
X2 cut's ice like butter, no problems starting.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
X2 the z71 are amazing machines.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM

I just use the 8" Eskimo shark 33 works great and is nice and light.
Only thing I did not like was the housing on the pull cord was plastic did not last long. But 20 bucks fixed that and a steel one is now in place. Starts first pull every time. I was looking at the the frabil auger. I but noticed the handle was plastic not sure how long that would of lasted in -20 weather.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM

I have a frabil 4 man and its been great, love it. got a eskimo viper 10" auger last december. starts everytime no matter the temp. fired up first pull in sept with last years gas. but right outta the box its gutless. within a month if buying it im in trouble. taking me way to long to get a hole. getting bailed out by buddies with 4 year old blades on jiffys.
taking it in for a warranty tune up. hope it fixes my problem. if it'd drill as good as it starts
itd be the best auger ever.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Noticed that Princess Auto in west edmonton has Viper engine powerheads, with the eskimo "red" handlebars on them. Maby they got a bunch returned, and selling the rebuilt ones there. $125 if I remember correct.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Jiffy Propane, 2 seasons in and works a treat!

Cheers.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Strikemaster. Those German solo engines are the cat's pyjamas.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM

i have the jiffy 30 2hp maybe 3hp cant remember but i have had it for alot of years and have not done a tune up on it yet and still runs strong. i am really happy with the jiffy. i liked it because of its reliability light weight and still enought to get the job done.i bought mine at crappy tire and only paid like $200 for it in the spring cause alot of my buddys dont use the crappy tire money so i get them to save them and i collect them and use it towards a big ticket item.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Jiffy Propane, 2 seasons in and works a treat!

Cheers.
Even in extreme cold ?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 AM

I have used my Jiffy propane in the extreme cold without an issue.. This is my second season with it.. If you are looking for something with a little less weight, this is not the auger for you... Bit on the heavy side
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Default Strikemaster

Have to give one to Strikemaster also. Pulled my 4 stroke off the rafters in the garage, primed it few times and away she went after couple pulls. Its a light machine and cuts ice with little effort...with the blades sharp of course anything will but the 4 stroke way to go. Heard theres a honda engine version out there this year as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Strikemaster is the way to go!!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondogleg View Post
Strikemaster is the way to go!!
I have been told that the Strikemaster's are great, but being German made, if you need parts, you will not receive them till the NEXT season. I would be LIVID if I found out that I couldnt fish over a simple part that can't be replaced.
I was gonna buy one but instead just picked up the Jiffy Model 30 2 stroke, to replace my OLD strikemaster Magnum. The Jiffy models no longer have Tecumseh motors, though. I am sure they are China junk. Mine seems to run great, and started very easily.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM

To all that assume I did not take care of the equipment, if you had read the post it came out of the box and got fuel added and started up and ran fine in the heated garage. I really appreciate all the advice I have Jiffy 30 already bought the frabil to have a lighter option. Any other opinions on the Eskimo Shark 33 how much ice does it go through until it bogs down?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Default Jiffy STX

Got a Jiffy STX Pro 10" 3 hp high torque transmission last year and that thing rips holes in the ice like nobody's business. It also starts very easily, even in the cold. I was going to get a Strikemaster but I got this new in the box off Kijiji for half price, so I couldn't refuse. I am very happy with it. It is a bit heavy but it is made to last, not mostly plastic. I can't wait to start her up in a few weeks!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 AM

I'm on season 5 with my Eskimo Mako 43cc and 10" auger, runs in every condition, 43" auger and will cut great right to the handles if need be.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Ya my eskimo always fires up.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Default Forget strikemaster

I have a strikemaster and will never purchase another one!!! Aftermarket service is non-existent. I will say it was a great unit until I needed parts for it.... Go with a jiffy!!!