Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post
Although it sucks you would have no case to SUE or to even ask for Vet bills to be covered actually, like said previously off leash isnt out of control... Just because its off leash doesnt mean your dog can wander around without you present... Dog owners like that are reason I keep my dogs away from dog parks...

And you are right Hermitage has a lot of discarded fishing tackle and garbage, why would you take your dog to a park where they could possible hurt themselves? I mean after the first time it happened you keep taking them to same place? Seems irresponsible to me but thats just my opinion...
Hermitage was 1 time, the Gold bar area was the second, but I appreciate your concern. I'm sorry to make your blood boil....is there a pill for that??
Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM

I hooked a loon once on my fly rod it surfaced a foot away from my line and swam into it. Happened so fast i didnt have time to react. the loon ended up flying away with my stimulator lodged in its leg.
Ive also caught my dog once. I was setting up to fish the nsr and she brushed up against my rod. good thing i caught her before she ran which im sure she wouldve. another reason ill always fish barbless. As for walking your dog around people fishing....I think its just common sense to leave fishermen their space. most dont like me having my dog around (which is funny because some of my biggest fish from nsr were hooked with her swimming in the water 30 yards away). but ive also had a random dog come up and eat my lunch so i know where there coming from. I think alot of the problems come from owners who let their dogs run wild without any control. That being said, accidents do happen. I think all of us are responsible for the minimization of such occurrences. Oh and when it comes to the whole dog park issue the dog park legally ends at the high water mark the rest is provinces. I know this because most places i fish arent dog areas and ive fought several tickets in edmonton and won. as long as shes on a leash past high water mark.

Last edited by jaystev; 02-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM

@ thorne.

You are actually quite incorrect with many of your opinions on off leash dog parks rules.
First and foremost:

Not: "There are registered off leash areas in the city for dog owners to let the pooches run. If you choose to fish in them you are liable for any harm caused to an animal by not taking extra caution to insure the safety of those animals at all times."

and

Don't need your off leash dog coming and saying hi as you put it. See rule #1 from the City on their off leash area parks.

You should really read the following from the City:
http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_r...s_Brochure.pdf

be responsible by:

1. Being considerate — keep your dog in
sight, stay alert for other trail traffic, restrain
your dog around other park or trail users
and
walk on the right.
2. Honouring bylaw rules — licence,
leash, control and pick-up after your dog.
Keep dogs 10 metres away from school
grounds, playgrounds, sport fields and
picnic sites.
3. Allowing your dog off-leash only
within the boundaries of designated off-leash
areas. The sites are all listed in this brochure!
4. Walking restricted dogs away from
off-leash parks — they are not allowed in.
These dogs must be leashed and muzzled at
all times outside your property.
5. Limiting aggressive behaviour —
immediately leash and check your dog if it
acts hostile toward people, dogs or wildlife.
6. Training your dog to respond to voice
and signal commands.

7. Picking up after your dog — keep
parks healthy and clean for everyone.
8. Protecting your dog with
vaccinations — stop the spread of infectious
diseases to wildlife and other dogs.
9. Holding back dogs from chasing
wildlife — coyotes, deer, birds, waterfowl;
all creatures great and small living in urban
parks need our protection.
10. Carrying a leash on every walk —
restrain your dog where required, especially
on trails, and use a leash no longer than
2 metres (six feet).

11. Sharing off-leash parks and trails
with others — all of Edmonton’s parks and
trails are multi-use; they belong to all of us!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Geezle caught a 30lb Springer on the edge of the NSR once! Gotta love barbless hooks.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:45 PM

I often take my Springer Spaniel fishing with me. Has she been hooked before, yes. Will I still take her with me again, yes. My responsibility, my concern. Its gonna happen again im sure. Will I leave her at home because its a big scary world out there? Nope. I would rather have my dog with me enjoying the outdoors, to leave her at home because theres a possibility she could get hurt is just nonsense, and more cruel IMO.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM

Dont get me wrong my dog is with me 9 times outta 10 also unless I go to Herm just bc of amount of people. He is a Cane Corso and doesnt like a lot of people he doesnt know around, so he can be very intimidating at 150+ Lbs and 18 months..... He has come outta bush with line alll around him and such but never a hook or anything yet..
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM

He will pass it.Had a yellow lab did the same thing..... cut the line and feed him as much lard as I could.... it came out. He he died 10 years later....... hope it wasnt from cholesteral
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Shawn! I'm am going to be very clear on this! I am a dog owner and an avid fisherman. There are registered off leash areas in the city for dog owners to let the pooches run. If you choose to fish in them you are liable for any harm caused to an animal by not taking extra caution to insure the safety of those animals at all times. Dog owners are very restricted as to where the can legally let the animals run free, as for fishing, you are not. If you choose to do so in a registered off leash area, which you often do as I see you all the time, then you choose to accept the responsibility to be take extra precaution and accept the fact you will be dealing with dogs and their owners. If that were my dog you would be expecting a vet bill, and a possible lawsuit. This is not directed at you personally, but all people, including myself, who choose to fish in these areas. I have had several hooks and lures removed from my animals already, especially in Hermitage, it's not pleasant or acceptable. All those instances were discarded lures with no way of identifying the owner. Had I been able to I assure you, it would have been ugly....I as sorry is I have offended or if anyone feels threatened by this post, that is not my intent. I am just stating the course of action I would follow if I was in this specific situation. to be fair, if it was not a registered off leash area, yep its the owners responsibility.
This really surprises me.

Picture this, Grandpa and grandson park the truck, take their little old fat Beagle dog out of the truck and walk down to the river bank. Grandpa opens up the tackle box and tells lil Jimmy to pick a hook and put a minnow on it. Meanwhile, Grandpa is pulling his line through the guides and tying on a leader. Lil Jimmy picks out a red devil and puts a minnow on it, places it beside the tackle box and says "ready gramps!". All the meanwhile, their little old Beagle is sitting calmly beside them. Just then, someone's obnoxious dog runs down the bank and grabs the hook before you can yell no.

Who has the right to be there? Does the dog owner who loses temporary control of their dog, have more right to be there than a kid and his grandad fishing on the bank with their little old dog?? Not in my books. It concerns me that any fellow angler would consider lil Jimmy and his grandad as liable.

A lawsuit my friend?!?! Hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by huntin'fool; 02-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 PM

I guess no matter where you fish always be aware for anything could happen, don't trust any dog owners where ever you fish.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Shawn! I'm am going to be very clear on this! I am a dog owner and an avid fisherman. There are registered off leash areas in the city for dog owners to let the pooches run. If you choose to fish in them you are liable for any harm caused to an animal by not taking extra caution to insure the safety of those animals at all times. Dog owners are very restricted as to where the can legally let the animals run free, as for fishing, you are not. If you choose to do so in a registered off leash area, which you often do as I see you all the time, then you choose to accept the responsibility to be take extra precaution and accept the fact you will be dealing with dogs and their owners. If that were my dog you would be expecting a vet bill, and a possible lawsuit. This is not directed at you personally, but all people, including myself, who choose to fish in these areas. I have had several hooks and lures removed from my animals already, especially in Hermitage, it's not pleasant or acceptable. All those instances were discarded lures with no way of identifying the owner. Had I been able to I assure you, it would have been ugly....I as sorry is I have offended or if anyone feels threatened by this post, that is not my intent. I am just stating the course of action I would follow if I was in this specific situation. to be fair, if it was not a registered off leash area, yep its the owners responsibility.

Actually you have to be in control of your dog at all times, off leash or not, it's not anybody's responsibility but you own for your dogs safety..
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
ya I knew I would get flack, but hey like I said, its my opinion. I simply feel that leaving a baited hook unattended in a designated "off leash" area you are negligent by fact that one can reasonable expect to be visited or be in the company of dogs, and that a basic deduction would suggest a very high probability of a dog ingesting the hook. Not rocket science. Would it fly in court, who knows....but I would give it a go. I don't let my dogs harass guys fishing on the river, but if they did go and say hi, then I would expect the guys fishing to have taken precautions to secure all tackle in a manner which would make it safe to do so. Just saying fishing in a dog park requires extra attention. Just plain common sense. But ya, I would definitely do what I could to hold the person responsible for any vet bills associated with the described situation. Think its pretty clear. If it was ice fishing on a lake and my dog got snagged on some guys line, busted his rod, or caused any other damage, I would be responsible for replacing it, no questions asked.signated off leash area...different story...Pedestrian walks across a road and gets hit....sucks to be him, gets hit I a designated cross walk....the whole thing changes. Regardless, I am sure Shawn's friend will be a little bit more careful from now on, as i am sure he meant no intentional harm to the dog, but is more aware of the potential hazards associated with fishing in an area where a lot of dogs are allowed to roam free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Actually you have to be in control of your dog at all times, off leash or not, it's not anybody's responsibility but you own for your dogs safety..
Says it about aas best as it could be said.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM

Wow....Easy people, nothing personal here, I could not agree more that my dog is my responsibility. no arguement. I am also saying the off leash areas are by defination a multi use enviroment where everyone at that location has to be aware of the activities of others and take appropriate measures to insure a safe enviroment. I'll keep my boy's in check and, people who are participating in other activities have to insure they provide a safe enviroment...ie not leaving baited hooks lying around. See simple. You take care of your end, ill take care of mine and volia! Perfect harmony. Funny thing is I have been fishing in off leash areas for years, and I have come across guys who have their tackle box open, rods lying around, and a not paying attention cause he is off down the river a ways casting. Every time I just remind them they are in an area where there are dogs running around, and they should just make sure everything is secured, they have no issue and agreed with me. Everyone out there would address any potential safety issue with a playground their children play at without hesitation. Ya its your job to watch your kids, its your responsibility, so part of that is insuring a safe enviroment. Thats all Im doing. Several years ago when Hermitage was being excavated, I was chatting with the contractor just to see what was going on. He specificallly mentioned teh challenges presented in an off leash area due the potential of an animal getting hurt. He had to insure an safe enviroment. I placed a quick call to the city so I wouldn't be talking out of my a** and asked specifically if an unatttendeed/unutilised fishing rod left lying around with a hook attached, and baited would be considered accpetable in an off leash area. The responce was a "definately not" and would warrent a peace office to address if the party concerned was not cooperative in securing it. As a matter of fact they were going to dispatch one until I clarified i was just inquiring. I also contaced SRD, just as a curiousity, and posed the question of unattended, baited lines. Their responce was if an officer on patol found such a situation he would insure the individual secured the unused rod and inform them of the potential of being charged with causing the unnessary distress to an animal if he witnessed a hawk or eagle who spotted the bait and swooped down and grabbed it, and became hooked or entangled. Ya its a small chance, but its a possibility. PLease feel free to contact any of teh mentioned agencies if you doubt me. I don't mind being the bad guy or the A**Hole...if it takes the fact that in the back of peoples minds that "If something happens" there is at least 1 A**Hole out there who will push the issue, and maybe next time will take a little bit more care with his gear. All I am asking is, when fishing in an off leash area, take a little extra precaution with your gear to insure a safe enviroment for all who utilise the area. Fair???
Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 PM

Being a dog owner for years now and a avid fisherman I believe that most injuries occuring due to unknown dogs coming near fisherman is mainly the owners fault, sometimes because theyre just stupid, but mainly due to their own ignorance. sometimes irresponsibility on the fishermans part plays a big role, however, I suppose that I say this because I know what its like to have your gear all layed out doing different things with it (retying or having some lunch or looking for lures within tackle boxes), but I DO NOT let my dog anywhere near people fishing or their gear. Why should i put my dog in harms way by allowing him to do something that seems natural and normal to him becauase he isnt fully aware of the potential danger involved with fisherman and gear etc... One time fishing outfall 74 at herm, some lady (clearly never seen fisherman before in her life) was throwing her ball RIGHT beside me and my comrades repeatedly, upon her dog almost knocking our gear all over I nicely mentioned she may want to keep a closer eye on her dog (EVEN THOUGH ITS OFF LEASH) because of the dangers associated with our gear (sharp hooks, bait knives, etc), she made some snide remark and coninuted for a few more minutes, as shes walking up the hill to continue with her walk she threw it one more time, just as my friend had pulled his line in to rebait. as his rig sat there being rebaited the dog RAN by chasing his ball she so ignorantly threw and bam, hook snags dog ripping his rod out of the holder, on the ground. no big deal...so we thought, upon finishing rebaiting of his rig he noticed the one hook was broken off, JUST THE SHANK remained, the other half, clearly lodged within the dog. As tough as those animals are, something like that is not good for them. SO i reiterate, I would never allow MY dog to run rampart around such hazards like the ones mentioneed above. I care to much for him to let him get hurt because of my STUBBORNESS and thinking I have the "right" to allow him to terrorize all other groups within these parks just beacuse they are "off leash"- off leash does NOT mean out of control... I hope he was alright but i dont see how in any way at all we would be liable, we were careful as possible, warned her and it still got hooked. story over. just wish more dog owners would show us all some respect when we're there, they have a whole park to roam while we all crowd some shore line trying to enjoy a day or night fishing. one of the main reasons I stopped fishing Hermitage was because of the irresponsible dog owners.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Geezle caught a 30lb Springer on the edge of the NSR once! Gotta love barbless hooks.
Hey, I caught my Brittany on a back cast once while fly fishing the Highwood. Luckily he forgave me.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM

I hooked a Duck when I was younger, she came in to land and her feet went over my line and the hook got her in the web... weird feeling fighting something in the air...

My lab got hooked two years ago ice fishing, picked up my buddies bait when he was setting his tip-up... lucky for barbless hooks...

and my favorite was getting my dad in the chin floating the Bow with a fly... he didnt find it so funny
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Wow Im not sure I would wanna go fishin with any of u guys, you all are pretty dangerous.

Now I know why u guys support barbless(but it aint for the fish).
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM

So I took Mr. Thorne's advice and called the City to get clarification on what he said. They simply said it is the dog owners responsibilty to restrain and leash their dogs around other park users. They pointed me to the same link that I quoted in my post #33. They said the reason for the recent publicity blitz and their poster campaign (PETS IN THE CITY - Your Pet - Your Responsibility) was because of the attitudes of many pet owners that others were responsible for their pets.

A fisherman that has his taklebox open within a couple meters of where he is fishing is fine and acceptable. Any dogs that come running up and stick their noses in it are simply being neglected by irresponsible owners. Now common sense and the fishermans responsibility kicks in when he is more than a couple meters away from his open tackle box or rod with a hook on it.

The crux of this responsibility matter lies on whether or not the danger (exposed hooks) is directly attended or not. I agree that unattended gear should be stored safely. No open boxes or hooks exposed.

It is all too common though in many situations that dog owners allow their unleashed dogs to run up to fishermen and stick their faces in tackle boxes and bait bags while the fisherman is standing or sitting right beside it. Many times I have had to voice command a dog or physically restrain it from sticking its nose into my tackle box or backpack at my feet while the owner casually walked hundreds of yards away or even out of sight; oblivious to the situation at hand. This is a daily occurrence on many busy public fishing areas. Not everybody loves your dog as much as you do. We don't need to pet it or get slobbered on or baby sit it from ripping into our personal belongings. That is all the owners direct responibility.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM

My 11 year old Brittany has had his share of adventures fishing with me, a few years ago my dad and I went ice fishing to local pothole for stocked rainbows, dad was using velveeta cheese balls on a hook, dad caught a fish put the rod in the tailgate of the truck, he baited the hooks, as hooks were dangling off the truck, Mickey my Brittany came over and took a bite, next thing I see and hear is dad's rod flying off the truck and Mickey racing out with a hook and rod attached to his mouth, I ran him down and luckly no barb and was able to get it out of his mouth, now everytime i grab my fly rod or spin rod he gives me a growl.

Last spring at Kannanaskis, he was tied up behind me and my fly got him in the ear, Im quite surprised he still wants to come out with me, he's a good sport!!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Thought this was going to be about fishing chum salmon(we call them dogs).
I caught a bat on my false cast while fly fishing a lake. A buddy hooked a seagull on his back cast on the river.....quite a fight!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Hooked a dragonfly.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM

First I would give her a good bath, then get some of that new bacon cologne, ... oh wait..... you're talking about something different.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM

I find that a good stout spinning rod will give you the best chance at setting that hook. Spool your reel with 15 to 20 pound braided line, it will still have the sensitivity for Chihuahua yet handle the drag busting rush of a Bull Mastiff. The best hooks are usually 1/0 or 2/0 Trebles. They may seem a little big for the tea cup breeds, but you usually have to snag the more finicky ones anyways.

Bait is simpler. Any meat will do, but I seem to have the best luck with the 'artificial' baits like Snausages or Beggin' Strips. Rig everthing up with an egg sinker and you are good to go.

Most park areas will produce good catches; zone in on garbage cans, building corners and fire hydrants. While not considered sporting in most dog angling circles, a simple whistle can be dynamite for bringing them in close.

Remember to limit your catch and leave a few Poodles for the next guy. And a word of advice to BSGH and the rest of you....quit posting the names of the Off Leash Areas you are fishing at. If word gets out there will be a hundred trucks out there and pretty soon you won't even be able to catch a Shih Tzu.