Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Tree stand, ground blind, ice shack, outfitters tent, anything really that I did not have permission prior would I even consider helping myself too. What gives anyone the right to infringe on others property with-out permission ?

This mentality is beyond my comprehension, sure glad I was raised with morals and to respect others property.
Exactly. Great post.

The rationalizing of the "me generation" types around here never ceases to amaze me.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 AM

If I were worried about someone using mine "if I had one" I would not leave it on the lake! Easy peasy!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
i would leave my phone # on the shack with the combination lock, they can call me and ask permission . just a respect thing
Although I personally would never use someone elses shack, this seems like a completely reasonable idea. I can see some valid points to both sides of the conversation.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
If I were worried about someone using mine "if I had one" I would not leave it on the lake! Easy peasy!
Not easy peasy....we're talking about a wood built shack....not a pop out tent.
It's a permanent structure for the season that requires hours of assembly and disassembly.
Not sure u have been payin attention
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I dont see any problem in that.

The issue is the guys that dont use with respect
Where's your shack? I will even throw in a $20 after Im done
Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
Where's your shack? I will even throw in a $20 after Im done
Ghost arm.

Help yourself.

It's a big timber frame. You just need to pick up the black and silver 8x14' tarp from CT and you're good to go.

It's sitting on shore 30 feet from where all the holes are drilled.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 AM

A lake is not private property so if you put a shack out there it is at your own risk. If you build a cabin on crown land they will burn it down if you have no right there. So really why would you be ****ed off at some one that the public has access to. And as far as liability what happens when a snow mobile r crashes into your shack at night i would be more worried about the law suit from that. As for my self i always respect other peoples property so it is not a issue. BUT is it still your property when you leave it on the ice????
Old 02-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyfish View Post
A lake is not private property so if you put a shack out there it is at your own risk. If you build a cabin on crown land they will burn it down if you have no right there. So really why would you be ****ed off at some one that the public has access to. And as far as liability what happens when a snow mobile r crashes into your shack at night i would be more worried about the law suit from that. As for my self i always respect other peoples property so it is not a issue. BUT is it still your property when you leave it on the ice????
Why would a snowmobiler be ripping around at night....thats nutso.
AND....its perfectly legal to put a permanent structure where I am...
AND NO....if u build a structure on crown land...it will not be burned down...
U dont understand the law....
Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 AM

If its not yours dont touch it
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Not easy peasy....we're talking about a wood built shack....not a pop out tent.
It's a permanent structure for the season that requires hours of assembly and disassembly.
Not sure u have been payin attention
Oh you mean one of the permanent ones that some responsible wooden structure owners leave out on the ice abandoned, for someone else to deal with every spring? Yeah I may have seen one or two!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM

I set up a ice shack on a central lake a few years ago..spends hundreds on it when I didnt have all that much money...had attached fish cleaning station/Ice box that fish could be put thru the wall..line rack on ceiling folding snack shelfs, cut five gallon pail hole sleeves blah blah..

locked it because of chairs and line etc...first day back someone hooked up a vehicle to door and ripped it off the hinges....stole chairs and lines

ok ..replaced hinges and door didnt lock it this time...second time back...someone ripped off the cleaning station from shack wall..broken beer bottles, garbage and sunflower seed shells all over inside..cleaned it up ..not locked..

third time out..holes kicked in walls everything not nailed down was tore off ..broken bottles, garbage and two big piles of CRAP...yup a couple nice people actually CRAPPED in the ice shack...

loaded it up took to dump...I realized times have changed..there is no respect, lost respect and it is what it is...I will however respect others and not use theirs..

JMHO
Neil
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM

I have been hunting and fishing many years, in all these years I have seen many shacks built on the ice, in the bush, and on a fence line over looking a field. I has never crossed my mind to use them. If I go ice fishing I take my own, if I don't take it I fish in the open. Same with hunting, if I want a blind or tree stand I make my own. Those of you that say no problem to someone using it, I will bet if you get there and someone is in it your going to be a little pizzed. I made a very nice blind years ago overlooking a nice meadow that was frequented by elk. I made it out of all natural material that was on hand. I spent a whole day making this blind and looked forward to using it. First day out and there was a couple of guys in it. Got the same response from them that I hear here. It's on crown land and therefore you have no claim to it. Somehow these guys always beat me to it, I think they slept there over night. They thought it was funny and told me to **** off and quit bothering them. After a few run ins with them I finally dismantled it.
I guess my point is that they were legally right and morally wrong.
PG
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Default my thoughts...

If I find someone in my shack, that would mean they broke into it and the respect card is out the window. It won't be a good day for them. For emergency purposes (injuries, weather etc) I have no problem taking shelter in someone else's cabin/shack etc but for people to just wonder out there and use it because it's there and they feel they have the right, is when I don't think it's cool. But that's just my thoughts. However, if you see me out fishing in my shack, by all means come on over to warm up, have a pop and BS the day away.

Cheers,

SS
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
If I find someone in my shack, that would mean they broke into it and the respect card is out the window. It won't be a good day for them. For emergency purposes (injuries, weather etc) I have no problem taking shelter in someone else's cabin/shack etc but for people to just wonder out there and use it because it's there and they feel they have the right, is when I don't think it's cool. But that's just my thoughts. However, if you see me out fishing in my shack, by all means come on over to warm up, have a pop and BS the day away.

Cheers,

SS
Is that your ice shack in your avatar??????????
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM

If this is Spray lake then those would be commercial fishing shacks and should have that info marked on them. I would't suggest you use them. The few commercial one's are the only one's allowed on the provincial park lake. Anything else permanent shouldn't be there and likely won't be for long. Also don't try snowmobiling or driving on the ice to drop a shack or joyride...they will bust ya right quick. CO's all the time up there
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Tree stand, ground blind, ice shack, outfitters tent, anything really that I did not have permission prior would I even consider helping myself too. What gives anyone the right to infringe on others property with-out permission ?

This mentality is beyond my comprehension, sure glad I was raised with morals and to respect others property.
Have to agree 100 %. Ive had my tree stand used. Guy even cut more branches and put a bag on the seat. Thats ok, it was left up as i was deep in the crown land and left on a wednesday to return on the friday night. I have also had all my foot pegs(taken off the tree, the stand was with me) and the bucket with my harness etc stolen from under a brush pile. But i got it all back(for a diff thread). My wall tent goes up 15 kms away from the road in early sept, comes down at the end of Oct. Only thing left in is the airtight, stove pipes and wood. You would never see it from the trail but If your stranded and find it, its all yours. Why would it be ok to decide its yours to hunt from just because im not there. Same goes for a ice shack imo.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Is that your ice shack in your avatar??????????
That is just like the ground blind I built.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

I just built a collapsible wood shack, around $300 for wood/materials. I have no intentions of leaving it out, but if I did i'd have mixed reactions to someone using it.

I had seen someone left a shack on the Ice at Badger, So I stayed away from it to be courteous, Did the same at PCR.

If you dont build the shack, help maintain the shack, or know the guys that put the shack there, It just seems somewhat rude to be using it. Now of course, There is always extenuating circumstances, Injuries, Freak storm, Lost and warming up etc.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
If this is Spray lake then those would be commercial fishing shacks and should have that info marked on them. I would't suggest you use them. The few commercial one's are the only one's allowed on the provincial park lake. Anything else permanent shouldn't be there and likely won't be for long. Also don't try snowmobiling or driving on the ice to drop a shack or joyride...they will bust ya right quick. CO's all the time up there
Wong you are sir...
They are privately built and owned shanty's that are perfectly legal to place there for the season.
Some of the people have been there for years.....so not sure where ur gettn ur info from....but its not factual
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Oh you mean one of the permanent ones that some responsible wooden structure owners leave out on the ice abandoned, for someone else to deal with every spring? Yeah I may have seen one or two!
Not what I mean at all....your still unfocused and misguided....
If you read above again....it says "dissassembly" as well....
I'm not promoting nor condoning garbage by irresponsible people.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM

If its not youre's DONT TOUCH!!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM

what mine is yours whats yours is mine
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM

it boils down to this........ If you are too lazy or cheap to get or make your own, why would you expect someone else to supply it for you! imo
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 AM

When I went to Christina lake this past weekend my friends and I walked past a local's shack, we didn't even consider using it. It had his number on the side, but it wasn't our property, we were even sure to make sure the tent was setup about 50' away from the local's shack so if he came out he wouldn't feel like we crowded his spot. There was a Shovel and Chair close to the shack we touched neither even though that shovel would have come in handy. (Forgot mine...) At the end of the day after we packed everything up curiosity got the better of us, we walked over and knocked on the door. No one inside, could see that there was evidence of him catching fish. He had the prime spot close to the bridge but not so close he would be in danger of going through and right off the weed bed. The perfect spot for perch.

My point is this, it wasn't ours nothing there was ours so it wasn't acceptable to touch anything there. Need it or not we didn't touch it as I know how I'd feel if someone touched my property without asking. It feels like you've been violated whether something was taken, damaged or not. Not your property not yours to touch.