Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM

I think if you ask a few people who have kept large pike from PCR you would be surprised, not much else for them to eat in there but themselves and the zillion walleye.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Ok that study was on one lake. And on that lake Perch and spot tail shiners were the primary food sources. not unusual. I did not take the time to read it, my bad. But late seventies walleye may have already been on the decline. Also most predators will feed on what is most readily available(here perch + spot tail shiners). But on a lake where walleye are very plentiful walleye would make up some of the forage base. Pike are the top predator in these parts They will eat anything they can catch. A twenty pound pike is very capable of eating a 2 pound fingerling. A lake like PCR would likely show pike largely dependent on walleye at least the larger pike.

Also I didnt notice(take the time to check) what the sizes of the pike were in relation to their food in the study.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Did not say they were afraid of them just that they don't eat them.

As long as we are talking of personal experience: I have necropsied hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of large pike and have never found a single walleye in any of them.

If you can find me a peer reviewed scientific paper stating otherwise I certainly would love to have a look at it. Not saying they don't exist I just could not find one. Hence, by belief that pike do not eat walleye.
This helps my argument of pike starving in mcgregor -even though noting a 10" walleye found in the gut of a pike late november-.