Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Banned

Default Why Fish Are Disappearing in the Southern Alberta Streams

There has been a lot of talk online about why the fish are disappearing in the southern Alberta streams. It seems that more fishing pressure is having an affect, but Whirling Disease has been quoted as the main reason for the declining numbers.

Yes, Whirling Disease has been confirmed by biologists as the main cause of the declining fish population in southern Alberta watersheds. There are less smaller fish than in past years. Whirling Disease has and is killing fry and juvenile trout. Have you seen or caught very many smaller fish on the Crow, Oldman, Livingstone, Castle or Highwood river lately?

We need to do something right now to stop the potential collapse of our southern Alberta fishery. Whirling Disease will not go away and there is no way to eradicate it. Look at our neighbours in the USA. Several rivers and nursery creeks have been completely destroyed. Regulations and stream closures did not work in the USA so we may need to consider a restocking program with Whirling Disease resistant trout strains.

I hope there will be a concerted effort between government and fish organizations to fight Whirling Disease. We all need to get involved to stop the spread. What are your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WD.jpeg (12.8 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by ntsougri; 08-18-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-18-2020, 11:42 AM

I was fishing the crow this year and I notice that we were catching a ton of browns, which to me was unusual, so I asked a conservation officer if he knew what was going on and he said that, they weren’t as susceptible to whirling disease, and I did also notice that I wasn’t catching ANY small guys, hopefully it can work itself out!
Old 08-18-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Highwood

I fish the Highwood regularly around High River and all I see is little ones. Fished it last Friday for about 3hrs. Seen probably 30 fish in the 3”-8” range, chasing around my hopper. Seen a few that would make 10” but a lot of little ones. Talked to a gentleman out as well and he said he always catches smaller fish
Old 08-18-2020, 02:49 PM
Banned

Check out the Whirling Disease in Alberta map on the AEP website. It shows that all the watersheds from the Red Deer Basin south to the USA border are infected by whirling disease. That is not good.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/4598...ap-may2018.pdf
Old 08-19-2020, 12:39 PM

Have you personally seen evidence of whirling disease on a young trout in AB?
Old 08-19-2020, 02:23 PM

I certainly have not and have caught many small trout over the last couple years
Old 08-26-2020, 03:23 PM

Not sure of the cause but yes, the numbers of juveniles in those systems is very very low. Inevitably the big boys will die and what will be left???
Old 09-01-2020, 11:36 AM

I personally think they need ban treble hooks on these rivers and streams, I’ve seen lots of guys rip half a trouts mouth off with those, like really, if they can’t catch fish on a single hook, then maybe they should consider other pastimes.....
Old 09-01-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickensashimi View Post
I personally think they need ban treble hooks on these rivers and streams, I’ve seen lots of guys rip half a trouts mouth off with those, like really, if they can’t catch fish on a single hook, then maybe they should consider other pastimes.....
Barbless would solve this more the a single only rule
Old 09-24-2020, 02:00 PM

Wash your boots in water bleach mix