Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Banned

Default Tree Stand Fall Arrest

Hello, I'm new to bowhunting and tree stands but not hunting in general.

I just put up a Hawk hang on stand and was wondering what everyone uses for a GOOD fall arrest system. The whole stand cost $150, including the harness. I think my life is worth more than $150 so I'm wondering what you guys use to keep safe.

I've read on archerytalk that guys use rock climbing harnesses. Anyone here use them? What about a rope grab system? Can ascend up freely but any sudden falls it'll stop you. At least in my experience with rock climbing indoors.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:19 AM

I use one of the Hunter's Safety System harnesses - cost a bit over $100. It's a bit heavy, but it is super quick to put on and adjust, and it is comfortable. I don't see it on their web site anymore, but the closest approximation would be their Hanger Harness.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the lineman's loops don't have rings in them, they are just loops of webbing - which is true for most hunting harnesses. When I'm climbing a tree and constantly clipping/unclipping the lineman's belt when traversing branches, it can be a pain.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 AM

It’s good to get the best harness you can find, I like my linesman’s harness others like other harnesses. The big thing to understand is the (any) harness is used to keep you from falling out of the stand ...not to stop you half way to the bottom. Keep your tether short as possible and above your head. Best is to use a safety rope with a Prusic loop... YouTube is your friend for that one.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 AM

Yes, Yes, YES!!

Get a good comfortable harness, and then use it!

However, most people do not understand that the falls happen when stepping off and on the stand itself.

Most likely you will be on a big poplar tree, and the bark is smooth as glass when frosty or frozen.

I welded up a number of "D" Rings bent out of rebar, onto a 4" x" 5/8" Lag bolt, which I use as handles.

You need TWO of these handles screwed in just above the seat, one facing away from the seat facing in the direction of the last peg, one facing towards the seat, and both above the height of your head when sitting.

These are what you grab hold of when stepping on or stepping off. You always want 3 points of contact, so both hands on a handle, one foot on the peg or ladder. Something goes wrong, you can hold on and regain your footing.

I have not found anything like these handles for sale. Why I do not know. Once you have grabbed onto a handle to make the step across, you will understand the extra safety they provide when using a hanging stand.

You still need a harness, and you still need to wear the harness and set the strap short enough to stop a fall.

Next problem is finding real pegs that you can use when you wear heavy winter boots. Most pegs on the market are too narrow and too slippery.

Drewski
Old 09-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

Great responses, thanks guys.

I found the Hunter Safety System on Amazon.ca w/prime so I'm definitely interested in that.

As for the D-ring handles, also a great idea. I currently have ameri-step pegs, and yeah on and off the stand is where I feel most sketched out. I put all the pegs and the stand on without any fall arrest but as soon as I stood on that stand I knew I needed a restraint.

I'm also going to build 1 or 2 steps to help with getting on and off out of angle iron and grating.

Does anyone have any photos of their anchor points? Lagged into the tree or just a belt?

BTW this is in a spruce tree, not sure if that matters. I know they're rougher than poplar.

In my mind I picture a should leash anchored to the tree above my head that clips to the harness. Above the head of course so there's less distance to fall, if any. I just know industrial fall arrest anchor points are good for 3600-5000lbs of force and I look at trees and wonder what they could hold.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:57 AM

I tie the teacher around the tree with a bowline (add a stopper knot just to be sure) lag bolts can pull out, branches can break so I don’t trust them. Tree stands can break too and as mentioned gettin onto your “steel platform of cold and misery” is the most likely time to fall.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:10 AM

There are strap-on handles available commercially, for instance, the PowerGrab:

They also have a PowerStep product, which clamps onto continuous tree sticks:

I thought I had seen something like this as a strap-on version - I'll see if I can find it.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:21 PM

!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Banned

Well I think I gotta move my stand as I put it in a tamarack tree and I'm losing all my cover lol.

I'm gonna try to notch a socket and that should help putting pegs in and out.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
I'm gonna try to notch a socket and that should help putting pegs in and out.
Sort of like this?

Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Banned

Exactly like that. Had a line on amazon for those at like $28 but I waited over a weekend and the next Monday they were like $75 lol so a cheap old socket and die grinder may work.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:00 PM

I find it’s a waist of time to pilot a hole for those it easy enough just to hit it into the tree and spin it in by hand that way you don’t need to carry a drill up with you much easier in my opinion. And quieter to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2018, 03:06 PM

Carry a small ice pick with you, push it into the bark to do a starter hole then spin the step in.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations