Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 PM

Default bed mattress

I have a bad lower back and Im looking for a new mattress as mine is getting old and not much support. Any advice on a good supporting mattresses?

Thanks,
SS
Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I have a bad lower back and Im looking for a new mattress as mine is getting old and not much support. Any advice on a good supporting mattresses?

Thanks,
SS
Most mattresses are foam these days. You may prefer a stiffer old style pocket coil. I found the denser the foam the hotter they became.

There are lots of choice including adjustable.

I believe places like sleep country could steer you right and 100 night sleep replacement policy could work for you. https://www.sleepcountry.ca/comfort-guarantee
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-24-2018, 10:20 PM

Actually I was in the business for close to 20 years up until a few years ago. Foam is growing but is still a small percentage of the bedding market.
Tempur got the foam thing really going and they created a whole new market and excitement over foam beds.
Sleep Country did the same thing when we started up back in the day. Created a whole new bedding market that was never there before.
Rule of thumb to remember is support comes from coils and comfort comes from foam layers. Comfort is personal and we all have are own issues so don't ever let anyone tell you one mattress fits all.
Tempur and Sleep Country have also really tried to build the adjustable market the last 5 years or so and have done a great job at it as at one time they were only sold to the old farts at the Stampede. Now young and old buy them.
I still keep in touch with some of my old buddies there so still here what is going on.
Feel free to pm me if you have any specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Most mattresses are foam these days. You may prefer a stiffer old style pocket coil. I found the denser the foam the hotter they became.

There are lots of choice including adjustable.

I believe places like sleep country could steer you right and 100 night sleep replacement policy could work for you. https://www.sleepcountry.ca/comfort-guarantee
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 PM

I tried to compare mattress quality and cost a few years ago and it was basically impossible. After a few Google searches I understood why.

Mattress sales makes most other sales techniques seem honorable. They have “exclusive lines” for each store from the same manufacturer so you can’t compare pricing. Possibly the same mattress from the same supplier at a different retailer with a different name. “Find the same for less and we….” Good luck.

They also make up their “exclusive” names for the materials. Same foam, different name, so one more layer of deception. No chance of comparing anything.

Fed up, I looked at mattress reviews on Amazon. Real people reviewing the same item. Seemed like a crazy idea, but I ordered a mattress that was delivered to the door. Two years and it has been great and cost 25% of what I would have spent at a chain store.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 AM

You are pretty much correct on what you say but.....most retail works the same. Try buying the same model TV, stereo, computer or other electronic item exactly the same out there. Not a chance.
They make a small change in the spec everywhere just so they can say it is not exactly the same. Retailers all want their exclusives and unfortunately it is confusing for the consumer but that is really the way it is even though many think it is only in the mattress world.
Fishing world is the same as I managed a fishing store for a bit and the same thing happens there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
I tried to compare mattress quality and cost a few years ago and it was basically impossible. After a few Google searches I understood why.

Mattress sales makes most other sales techniques seem honorable. They have “exclusive lines” for each store from the same manufacturer so you can’t compare pricing. Possibly the same mattress from the same supplier at a different retailer with a different name. “Find the same for less and we….” Good luck.

They also make up their “exclusive” names for the materials. Same foam, different name, so one more layer of deception. No chance of comparing anything.

Fed up, I looked at mattress reviews on Amazon. Real people reviewing the same item. Seemed like a crazy idea, but I ordered a mattress that was delivered to the door. Two years and it has been great and cost 25% of what I would have spent at a chain store.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Banned

Best mattress I ever have had I bought 3 years ago at Costco. I paid around $500 for it. It is spring with foam covering.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Actually I was in the business for close to 20 years up until a few years ago. Foam is growing but is still a small percentage of the bedding market.
Tempur got the foam thing really going and they created a whole new market and excitement over foam beds.
Sleep Country did the same thing when we started up back in the day. Created a whole new bedding market that was never there before.
Rule of thumb to remember is support comes from coils and comfort comes from foam layers. Comfort is personal and we all have are own issues so don't ever let anyone tell you one mattress fits all.
Tempur and Sleep Country have also really tried to build the adjustable market the last 5 years or so and have done a great job at it as at one time they were only sold to the old farts at the Stampede. Now young and old buy them.
I still keep in touch with some of my old buddies there so still here what is going on.
Feel free to pm me if you have any specifics.
Good to know. I find the sales guys really push the foam. We had a solid foam in king before the last bed. Horrible. Moving it was like moving a giant heavy pancake.

Some people are ordering these foam bed from online shops. Come in various firmness. I am old school still. Like the coils.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post

Yup. Ran into that also.

Pointed out to the Brick that fact and they price matched. Seems beds and pillows are like towels...never pay regular price. The sale price is the normal price it seems.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 AM

A firm bed is recommended for bad backs ... can add a topper for winter .
Old 04-25-2018, 08:15 AM

Don't buy a Beautyrest, their mattresses are notorious for sagging in the middle. We bought a World Class Recharge (suppose to be one of their best) and within a month it had a sag. The warranty is a joke. Bought a Sealy from Costco at half the price and it is a far superior mattress. In case you don't know the Sealy's are made in the westend of Edmonton. The costco website does show the individual Sealy mattress comparisons as far as materials and construction goes.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 AM

http://www.dormirbedandfoam.ca
Located in NE calgary. I bought a King 5 yrs ago and look forward to going to bed every night. I also suffer from sciatica and a bad lower back. Only issue I have with it is if you re injure your back it can be hard to roll over. After 5 years zero sag,zero depreciation.

Not hot at all like many complaints are for foam beds.

Endy also makes a foam mattress I have heard good things about. No risk sleep trial too. Delivered to your door.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Spent a ton of money last year on a high end foam mattress. Thousands of dollars actually. My thought was, buy the best you can, given the fact it's something you use every night.

The mattress is very comfortable and we both get a good night's rest .... it hasn't changed my life or anything, but then again neither of us had trouble sleeping or have any back issues or anything.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great mattress - just not sure its thousands and thousands of dollars worth of "great".

It's better than our old "mid market" Sealy or whatever we had before - but it's not night and day - it's just a little better.

The only complaint - it does trap heat - nice in the winter, but kind of warm in the summer I find. Not a huge issue, but I do the roll over when it gets to warm.

My advice - unless you have a necessity to buy the top of the top line - save a few grand and get a great mid market mattress and it will be fine. I don't think I'd drop that kind of jack on a mattress again.

Last edited by EZM; 04-25-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 AM

We bought a foam mattress last year, we love it. But if I had to do it over again I would buy this online foam bed. I guess I was in to much of a hurry, my hips were in extreme pain at the time and we overpaid.

https://www.novosbed.com/

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-25-2018, 09:11 AM

Just like ezm, I find foam hot. My next mattress will have minimal foam. Ours is comfortable as far as support, and softness, just way to warm for me. The sales guy was totally full of ****. He said if our current mattress was over 5 years old, any foam mattress would be cooler. If my wife didn’t love it so much, it would be in the dump.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM

We just bough a new mattress this year. We went with the Purple mattress. It's an online company. They only make the one mattress in all the usual sizes. It's a combination of foam and a proprietary purple honeycomb gel like material on top. Find it extremely comfortable. Being online was easy. Shipping was included. Comes to your door vacuum packed in a roll. You carry it to where you want it unpack it and boom it pops up to full size. 100 day free trial. We liked the matress so didn't return it. We did buy their purple pillows and were not impressed. Same 100 day trial. Asked for a return and they gave 3 options. Send back, proof of donation, or finally what they call the stress relief option. We grabbed some scissors, destroyed the pillows and sent them photos. Money was refunded within a couple days. King mattress was 1800 and we bought their bed frame which is very sturdy and quiet. Overall I would highly recommend. They have a website purple.ca I think.

Just my 2 cents and experience.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 PM

More juice in foam translates to more profit and more commissions. Not much labor to cut foam slabs and cover compared to a coil bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Good to know. I find the sales guys really push the foam. We had a solid foam in king before the last bed. Horrible. Moving it was like moving a giant heavy pancake.

Some people are ordering these foam bed from online shops. Come in various firmness. I am old school still. Like the coils.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
Best mattress I ever have had I bought 3 years ago at Costco. I paid around $500 for it. It is spring with foam covering.
Just bought an extra firm bed from Costco for $650 and love it. The only problem that I could not lay in it before hand but it worked out for the best.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Intella bed..expensive but by far the best matters I have ever owned.. We got the new top of the line one and was well worth the money.
Like the OP I have lots of battle scares and injuries...Wish I had bought the bed 30 years ago when I first found out about them.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.