Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Default Best chair for post spinal surgery recovery?

My sister wants to get a lazyboy recliner for my nephew who just had spinal fusion Saturday after the bus crash. We had one when we grew up & it was great, but is there a more comfortable one? Where is the best deals? She is strapped for cash as this has taken her back financially as she hasn't been working since the accident.Thank you for your help. Thank you all for your best wishes, thoughts, prayers for the boys & their families.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskieboy View Post
My sister wants to get a lazyboy recliner for my nephew who just had spinal fusion Saturday after the bus crash. We had one when we grew up & it was great, but is there a more comfortable one? Where is the best deals? She is strapped for cash as this has taken her back financially as she hasn't been working since the accident.Thank you for your help. Thank you all for your best wishes, thoughts, prayers for the boys & their families.
That is really something which a health professional should be asked.

There's more bad chairs out there than good chairs, and a newly fused spine probably has to be supported a certain way.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:46 PM

First, Please pass on our support to your nephew, and your family. Can't imagine what you are all going through.

Second, there are some 'therapeutic' style chairs that can help a person in and out of the chair easily.

https://www.phc-online.com/Golden_Da...r_p/pr-632.htm

My grandmother has one like that.

Or, if he just wants a comfy chair, lazyboy is about as good as it gets. Stay away from the brick etc.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:29 PM

Find out what he is allowed to use from a health care professional. My grandfather was told to stay flat on his back as much as possible for the first 2 weeks. Basically this meant a plywood spineboard without the straps, covered with thin foam from Cambodian Tire and a thin pillow. He was told to keep walking to a minimum. Hopefully things aren't as extreme for your nephew but if he has some special conditions make sure he adheres to them or their could be life long complications as a result.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

I just had spinal fusion for the second time and your best bet is to talk to the proper people where they deal with this every day , you will likely be told to lay on your back as much as possible and I doubt that a large recliner will be needed , they are not the best remedy for that sort of fusion !
Old 04-24-2018, 03:51 PM

for my fusion recovery it was recommended that I lay flat on a firm mattress for 6 months, no sleeping on my stomach or side if possible and walking a maximum of 3 minutes per day. sitting was strongly advised against and that included sitting propped up in bed. speak to your physio/gp crew
Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 PM

I have no idea about the chair, but my prayers and condolences are extended to your whole family.