Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I just had a thought. What if I could level the surface where the plastic piece broke off and I glued a nut to it? I would think that it might be stronger than gluing that plastic piece back on. Is there a glue that would hold the nut tight and would this idea be feasible?

Maybe better yet, if I forgot about gluing the plastic piece on and applied an epoxy in layers to build it up, would I be able to drill a pilot hole into it that I could screw into?
Probably easier to glue the pieces on. I'd at least try then if nothing else you can resort to something like that.

Depending how far the screws go in you could fill some of that cavity with epoxy or make a dowel with epoxy etc.

I used epoxy to glue together a headlight on one of my old cars. It held for the rest of the cars life(5+ years and probably 100+k).

There are other tricks you could do like trying to melt some steel mesh around the posts before epoxying but that just gets complicated and makes it easier to mess up.

One other idea which may work depending on how things go together would be to epoxy in a threaded rod to act as a stud.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
No it's not. Because you're still depending on the original pad size and struts which are cast into the main shell.

You want to build up an epoxy collar around that whole deal which will grip to much more of the main shell. Of course, your reinforcing shank and a built up collar together would be still better.
I believe you are right... I stand corrected
Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 AM

I would think if you were to mix some metal filings in with Bondic you may have something that will be a whole bunch stronger than the original. Can test that theory on something else first.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:39 AM

The drawer for my fridge is elcheapo plastic, I used a big ugly gob of PL premium over anyway ago and it's still holding.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Banned

You can get what is called a PAM gun. It is essentially a hot glue gun for crafting but gets up to 450 deg f and uses special glue sticks. We have had great success using it to fix things, it doesn't take much and the nice part is that the glue is a bit flexible so it is not as brittle.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
You can get what is called a PAM gun. It is essentially a hot glue gun for crafting but gets up to 450 deg f and uses special glue sticks. We have had great success using it to fix things, it doesn't take much and the nice part is that the glue is a bit flexible so it is not as brittle.
That stuff isn't that great ..... doesn't get you high like other high VOC glues and you burn your nose trying to sniff it.

Just kidding - sorry couldn't resist
Old 04-25-2018, 08:21 PM

These ideas yall came up with are Great!

Butt they got me laughing so hard I got beer bubbles coming out the nose,
about now.

LOL, Yes it has been a long winter, needed a laugh.

Thank you all.