Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 02:21 PM

Default Edmonton Gunsmith

Didn't have a lot of luck on the search mode. Bought a 20 ga semi for my boy's birthday---took it out last wknd--jams like crazy. Took it apart a couple of times, tried all kinds and sizes of ammo with no luck.

ATA Arms mirage--bought next to new second hand so no recourse there. Have one disappointed little man, hoping someone could direct me to a decent gunsmith.

https://tillsonburggunshop.com/ata-a...i-Auto-Shotgun

Thank you
Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 PM

A lot of times a semi requires a very thorough cleaning. sometimes the gas ring get installed backwards as well. Google the gun and model looking for a schematic, take it apart, clean really well, put it together as per the schematic and try it again.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:14 PM

Not sure about Edmonton as I don't live there, but Insight Arms in Lloydminster does decent work.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
A lot of times a semi requires a very thorough cleaning. sometimes the gas ring get installed backwards as well. Google the gun and model looking for a schematic, take it apart, clean really well, put it together as per the schematic and try it again.
Did that 3 times. Ron Hendrickson wont touch it being a Turkish gun. Have a feeling I just learned a $550 lesson about buying used guns
Old 04-24-2018, 03:26 PM

Here's the truth. If Rod doesn't feel like doing it, or doesn't know what needs to be done, he will tell you it is a "garbage" or "throwaway" gun. No one in their right mind throws away a $550 gun. Rod wouldn't throw away anything worth $550 either, but he can be flippant with his responses at times. I would contact Pud at Bashaw Sports and ask him who/where he would suggest. You will get a straight answer.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:29 PM

I would contact David Henry - I believe he is a shotgun guy
Old 04-24-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanks guys. Kinda wishing I would have gone with the Weatherby
Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Thanks guys. Kinda wishing I would have gone with the Weatherby
I wouldn't feel bad, those are Turkish too- best of luck to you
Old 04-24-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Here's the truth. If Rod doesn't feel like doing it, or doesn't know what needs to be done, he will tell you it is a "garbage" or "throwaway" gun. No one in their right mind throws away a $550 gun. Rod wouldn't throw away anything worth $550 either, but he can be flippant with his responses at times. I would contact Pud at Bashaw Sports and ask him who/where he would suggest. You will get a straight answer.
Spot on here fellers.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 PM

The big problem with most of the Turkish guns is they neglected to consider the need for a supply of quality replacement parts. Or the few parts that were available were just as sub standard as those fitted in the guns to begin with. Within the last 15 years or so the North American market has been flooded with countless brands of Turkeys finest finishes that catch the eye of the budget minded sportsman, designs that often fall short of thorough testing before marketing. All to often the doors are slammed shut on the shipping container once the manufacturing contract is filled and the producer has vanished never to be heard of again. How convenient.
This is not the case with Weatherby's line of Turkish automatics, they back up what they sell with parts and warranty, they spent the time to find a reputable factory to make guns of the quality that the Weatherby name was worthy of.
Recently, a major Western Canadian distributer flogged a whole bunch of semi automatic shotguns with a Turkish pedigree that looked spectacular in furniture and blueing at a price that had the buyer questioning why they would pay so much more for a tried and true Italian auto. The result was the middle man folded up shop, skipped town and left the end user with a shinny new pony that could neither S--T nor Buck.
Sadly these guns have surfaced again on the used market, especially the on line buy sell forums where accountability seems optional. All of this echos the despair and frustration of the original poster. D.H.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:44 AM

Gas auto's have 2 common enemy's. Dirt and over oiling .

Both are easy to cure if they are causing your problems.

Clean out the entire gas system with a solvent like brake cleaner , and a clean rag.
make sure the gas port in the barrel is clean and open. A pipe cleaner soaked in solvent works good for this.

Some semi's run the gas chamber dry, like the 1100's. Oil collects unburned powder and will gum up an 1100 in no time. If yours recommends any oil the manual will say so. Use very sparingly, and a very light oil like G96 complete gun and wipe off any excess.

Try it with 3" and 2 3/4" ammo.

Good luck.
Pete
Old 05-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Well, after going over this gun way too many times, wound up buying him a 20 ga Benelli Nova compact. Think I'll stick with the Italians.

Kind of an expensive lesson, glad the AO member who sold it to me stood by their sale
Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM

Good choice on the Benelli Nova, you wont be sorry. D.H.