Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM
OutdoorChet

Default Just got back from flyfishing in the sun.

Here's a couple pics from the annual Bonefish assault. Weather was good and the fish cooperated for the most part.

Chet
Old 03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
goldscud

Awesome pics. Where did you go? Did you arrange the trip yourself, or was it through a shop?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
bigbore

awsome pics man!! did you manage to try for any Permit??

alot of times i see bonefish anglers go for permit as well on the same trip
Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
OutdoorChet

Goldscud,

The trip was planned by Westwinds Flyshop in Calgary - we were in Cuba.

Bigbore,

I did have one reasonable shot at a Permit but he wasn't pickin' up what I was throwin' down. They are really tough to catch. Of the four trips our group has done there has only been one permit landed on a fly rod. I faithfully rig up a Permit rod every day and usually take it down every evening without casting it but one of these days I'll get one.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:05 PM
sheep hunter

Great pictures...congratulations!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
jrs

Looks like fun. Thanks for the pics and report. I may have to try that someday.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Barbwire

Awesome pics Chet, Im jealous.... I would absolutly love to go on a trip like that
Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 AM
goldscud

What breed of reel are you using? Are you satisfied with it's performance?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 AM
OutdoorChet

Goldscud,

The reel in those pics is a Nautilus seven. I really like them. Very quiet, light, good drag although I need to adjust it a bit because I've found that on the factory setting a good bonefish could spool you if you don't palm pretty heavily, even when you have the drag cranked right down. They are very low maintenance as well. Basically just take the spool off and wash it down with freshwater after a day in the salt and your good to go again. I've got another one on my ten wt. I also have a couple Ross Reels and a Galvan and although I'm happy with them all, I'm a bit partial to the Nautilus' and the Galvan.

Chet
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
wildman

Default frikkin' AWESOME dude!!!

those are some hog bonefish!!!
that's one of my life-goal species i have yet to accomplish.
very jealous!!! well done man!!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
OutdoorChet

Default Re: frikkin' AWESOME dude!!!

Thanks for the comments everyone,

Wildman,

Bones are a good species to have on the life long list. They are so fast! In my my opinion they are the perfect fly rod fish. You sight cast to every one and get to watch their reaction to every strip and twitch of your fly and watch them eat it. When that fly stings them in the corner of the mouth they freak out - good times. You'll see a lot more of your backing than your fly line if your into a 5lb + fish. Make sure you do it one day.

Chet
Old 03-07-2007, 03:44 AM
just got back f

Default just got back from flyfishing in the sun.

The bones really are a terrific catch. I have read about them for years, but have never done it. Definitely on a lifetime list of things to do. I guess the closest I may come is to fly fish lake whitefish in a prairie reservoir. Somehow I don't think it is the same, though. The permit are a famous fish in the world of fly-fishing, noted for their amazing beauty and the notorious difficulty of ever catching one. Great catch, anyways, Chet.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: just got back from flyfishing in the sun.

Perfect pics man!

One question though, have you ever fly fished for Tarpon. They are my life fish. Dream trip to Belieze to fly the Mangroves!

My first fish on a fly was at age 12 on a 11 pound Atlantic Salmon. They are awesome on fly gear! Very fast, and very acrobatic! I still get goose bumps thinking about that one, and how proud I was riding my 10 speed bicycle back home with the rod in one hand and the fish in the other!