Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 10:57 AM

Default Grizzly Hunt

I just watched a video on the Weather Network about a spike in grizzly bears, this report was from B.C.

Naturally they said how 'grizzlies had been hunted nearly to extinction' (in the U.S.).

And then the obvious, that banning 'Trophy Hunting' (is how they phrased it), of grizzlies in B.C. has allowed a 'gradual increase' in grizzly numbers.

Oh my god, listening to was painful, just pure left-wing spin on the entire thing.

And then they ended with saying that people were just going to have to live/coexist with grizzlies and listed all the ways to be avoid being mauled/attacked by grizzlies.

Alberta grizzly population has exploded. For all the same reasons.

There never used to be grizzly sighting south of Whitecourt, but now there are grizzlies in every direction around town.

As soon as you are 1 km outside town you can run into one of the buggers.

Where I hunt, I had a bunch of pics last year of a big dry sow and a huge boar wandering around.

I'm pretty much certain that sow is going to be trolling 2 or 3 cubs with her this year.
Fwiw, there was another grizzly sow with cubs in my hunting area last year also, and I was lucky enough not to run into her.

Bring back the friggin' grizzly hunt. Plain and simple.

"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-30-2024, 11:19 AM

I still like our idea of shipping our surplus bruins (alive and grumpy) to Ottawa.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:20 AM

^ Awesome idea!

Round up a truckload of sows with cubs, drop 'em off around Ontario.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-30-2024, 02:52 PM

When the caribou herds starts getting smaller they will either start shooting them from helicopters or poisoning the grizzlies but will never sell tags even if they roam in to town mauling people . We need to live with them because its there land not ours . Lol !
Old 04-30-2024, 03:29 PM
Suspended User

I doubt we will ever see a grizzly hunting season again , as much as I would like .. The population growth is not the only problem .
Think of this .
When a sow with cubs attacks a human the education has started . Now the cubs have seen and learned the process .. It's ok and the thing to do and on it goes ..
The fear of people is long gone in the grizzly world..
So it's not just controlling the pop with hunting, it's the fear factor too

Who is the top dog
Old 04-30-2024, 05:14 PM

Did they mention how many bears are killed each year by F and W officers or park wardens (sorry if I have their titles wrong)? I don't think many nuisance g-bears (especially males) are still being relocated.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-30-2024, 05:20 PM

In my area the wolves are way worse than bears,cougar's etc but the wolves basically have all the deer in town for protection. Getting cougars, coyote's in town now and I think its great. Would love for grizzlies ,wolves to come to town as well. In their backyard's and at their work places to and see how they like it.
When I had bears it sucked to be me because I was in their territory. Well town used to be grizzly,wolf territory so sucks to be you.