Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2024, 03:45 PM

Default The Amelia Earhart thread got me thinking.

So the thread got me to thinking about family stuff.
Now without incriminating anyone, does anyone have any interesting family history from way back.
I'll start.
My grandma's cousin, in Blew up an airplane in 1949 to get rid of his wife so he could be with his teenage girlfriend. Timed bomb that exploded early due to plane being delayed. It should have gone off over the St Lawrence River, but instead caused the plane to crash on land thus being able to be investigated. Killed 23 people. His two helpers a male and a female were both hung as well as he.
The female was the last woman to be hung in Canada.

Albert Guay. Pacific Air Lines Flight 108

I also had an uncle (great uncle) who was in charge of a lift bridge over the Welland Canal, Port Robinson 1974, I was 2 years old. lol. Investigation said the ship was at fault for not signaling the bridge far enough in advance to have it lifted in time.
The Bridge master, Albert Beaver (my fathers uncle) and a watchman suffered minor injuries. They never replaced that bridge.
Interesting things you find out when your an adult. lol.

Tullfan
Old 01-30-2024, 08:06 PM

I wonder about the statute of limitations.........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-30-2024, 09:18 PM

Ok, here I go: your grandfather probably couldn’t find a good lawyer!

Sorry, but just too obvious, lol. And no ill intended.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:20 PM

Not world shaking, but my grandmother put her two teen aged daughters in a horse drawn wagon and made a several hundred kilometer trek in the winter of 1944 to escape the advancing Russians in eastern Germany. My mother never talked about it, but Granny packed my grandfather's WWl pistol on the journey. How do I know that ? After the war was over, she had it hidden from the occupying Allies, dug it up to clean it and managed to shoot herself in the foot. I got that part of the story from my dad, he asked what the old ladies problem was when visiting one day and was promptly told it was a big secret, could get her in major trouble. I still have the letter from her where she supplied all the details. Lucky for her, she knew the right people to keep the incident hidden.

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 01-30-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:57 AM

Not an epic story but I like it.

My great grandmother gave her husband $5.00 to go to the store to get a bag of flour. She didn’t see him for 6 months, I guess he used the money and went to Prince Albert to trap for the winter.