Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2024, 01:52 PM

Default Forced online banking,,,

So ive been with the Credit Union for 20 odd years,and i like to pay my bills in person at the bank..And now all of a sudden im not recieving any bank statements, and they say that i need to go online with a password to see whats happening in my account. Do i need to move to another bank or is this the norm .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:06 PM

So far we get our statements delivered. They tried to change it once and my wife got them to change it back, but if they gave us a reduced service charge then she would accept getting the statements online.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:06 PM

Unfortunately it is becoming the norm. I’m not sure what bank tellers and staff do anymore as they move completely to online banking. When you go into a physical bank branch they tell you to do everything online. It can be frustrating to deal with because you don’t have a choice depending on the bank or they will charge you a monthly fee for a paper statement or a fee to pay bills in person.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:07 PM

Hold up……there’s still bank buildings you can go inside?! 🤣🤣🤣
Old 01-28-2024, 02:08 PM

Almost everyone stopped paying bills in person at a bank 25+ years ago. Cheques basically don't get used any more either. Everything is paperless and online via email and banking sites. Welcome to the modern era.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:28 PM

I don’t like computer stuff. Held out long as I could before I broke down and downloaded it on my phone.
Best thing I ever did.
Can view transactions, statements, move money between accounts, pay bills, absolutely anything.
All from the comfort of my own toilet.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I don’t like computer stuff. Held out long as I could before I broke down and downloaded it on my phone.
Best thing I ever did.
Can view transactions, statements, move money between accounts, pay bills, absolutely anything.
All from the comfort of my own toilet.
I was hesitant as well. Now I wouldn’t do it any other way, even if I had the option.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:44 PM

Thumbs up Online Banking

The Wife & I (both retired) Converted over to 'Online Banking' Years Ago ❗

Going to the physical Bank (or CU) to make withdrawals, pay bills, invest in
a GIC, etc., is just so 'Yesterday'.

'HELLO' ... this ain't the 1960s ... it's 2024 👍🤠

Selkirk
Old 01-28-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

Selkirk
It is??
Old 01-28-2024, 06:28 PM

In the last 8 yrs the only reason I have been in a bank was for an estate dispersal and to get a new debit card every few years.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2024, 06:39 PM

I miss going into the bank and getting chewed out for not filling in my deposit slip correctly...
Old 01-28-2024, 06:41 PM

When we live overseas in Kyrgyzstan from 1998 to 2004 we banked in the channel Islands and everything was on line, when we moved back to Canada we just went paperless online.

In 2008 when we started going to Arizona in the winter we started getting all our monthly bills on line, was easy to pay the bills for our house here, and no need to have someone pick up the mail all the time. We normally only go to the branch once a year when we meet with our financial advisor in person.

All our bank statements come on line from both the CIBC which is our main bank and Wells Fargo which is our US bank.

I still write about a dozen or so cheques a year mostly for shoot fees at small clubs as most don't take debit or CC so it's cash or cheque just like at our club, plus a few to stuff in cards at Xmas for the kids.

If I need cash or need to deposit cash or the odd cheque I stop at the branch and use the ATM in the lobby.

I don't miss standing in line at the bank one little bit, waiting for my turn at the teller.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:09 PM

I just heard you cant smoke in the delivery room while your wife is giving birth? This is crazy.

If you can post about it online, you'll be fine to bank online.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Almost everyone stopped paying bills in person at a bank 25+ years ago. Cheques basically don't get used any more either. Everything is paperless and online via email and banking sites. Welcome to the modern era.
I use the bank machine, simple and I don't have my banking information on line.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-28-2024, 09:02 PM

I’m willing to bet that whether you personally bank online or not, your information is stored electronically/online. The bank is likely not keeping all your info on paper at the local branch. Just sayin’.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
I’m willing to bet that whether you personally bank online or not, your information is stored electronically/online. The bank is likely not keeping all your info on paper at the local branch. Just sayin’.
So, when the Chinese declare war on us and hack the system, it will all disappear.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:45 PM

At this point it seems like insisting on teletypes when instant text messaging and emails have been around for a very long time. In my humble opinion. Not that there is anything wrong with it.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:09 PM

Default Cbdc

Central Banking Digital Currency. Penny Rounding when you pay cash! I still like going into the banks and paying my bills and knowing who the tellers are. It is funny when you deposit money and they ask you for ID? I will ask them for ID at that point. And it was the bank that reminded me that my drivers license was expiring soon, like in 4 days. Was that an eye opener.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I use the bank machine, simple and I don't have my banking information on line.
That bank machine is connected to the internet. All your money in the bank and all your info is online.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
That bank machine is connected to the internet. All your money in the bank and all your info is online.
Yes, this!!
The machine is a computer connected to Internet and all banks. It just has a money dispenser.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
So ive been with the Credit Union for 20 odd years,and i like to pay my bills in person at the bank..And now all of a sudden im not recieving any bank statements, and they say that i need to go online with a password to see whats happening in my account. Do i need to move to another bank or is this the norm .
It’s the norm and relatively easy to do. Once your up and running it gives you more time to do other things unless there is a glitch then the frustration starts trying to call someone to fix it etc.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2024, 07:18 AM

My old grandpa long since gone used to say never trust the banks
He like lots of elders who escaped from Europe for what ever reason used to keep a stash of money at home for emergencies
A few years ago when the banking system in Britian failed people could not get any money or do any transactions with the banks until that was all sorted out
Now I have some elder friends who keep some money at home because they do not trust the banks
I stopped at the Esso in Coleman yesterday for fuel and sign said cash only their computer system was not working
This has happened before so what happens when the computer system is broken and you cannot do any transactions How about a major hack
So you young people do not trust banks
Old 01-29-2024, 07:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
My old grandpa long since gone used to say never trust the banks
He like lots of elders who escaped from Europe for what ever reason used to keep a stash of money at home for emergencies
A few years ago when the banking system in Britian failed people could not get any money or do any transactions with the banks until that was all sorted out
Now I have some elder friends who keep some money at home because they do not trust the banks
I stopped at the Esso in Coleman yesterday for fuel and sign said cash only their computer system was not working
This has happened before so what happens when the computer system is broken and you cannot do any transactions How about a major hack
So you young people do not trust banks
Trust banks, trust the system to protect your investments etc but like everything else in life have alternatives....you gotta be prepared after all that is the only thing you have control over.
Control what you can and manage the rest.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2024, 08:00 AM

I have some empathy for people of a certain age bracket and availability of a means to connect with online banking. You have the means because you're participating in this discussion online. So why are you doubtful/hesitant to do this? Once you're online I'm sure you will see the benefits of doing your banking from anywhere on the planet and at any time.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:01 AM

The evolution of banking is like everything else remember a time when banks were open 10-3 and until 6 only on Friday that meant if you worked you had one banking hour no Atm's, paper cheques paid the bills at the post office.

The good old days were not that good when it came to banking now on the 20th of the month I pour a cup of coffee, pull up my Excel expense sheet pay the outstanding bills on my phone with a click, only gone to a bank 3 times in two years mostly to exchange currency.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

Selkirk
You are both so WOKE...lol...but yes it is the new norm and canada is a fast track adopter of this kind of tech
Old 01-29-2024, 08:11 AM

If you use a debit card or a credit card you are for all intensive purposes banking on line already, even if you still get a paper statement all the transactions on it were recorded electronically.

Do you remember the fiasco when the debit and credit cards were all down for over a day, my grandkids were lost, no timmies or starbucks no ATM to get cash, no gas, no nothing, their lives were frozen, at least until they called papa because they know he always has some cash on hand. I told them this was a good lesson for them, always keep some cash no matter what but my guess is that lasted about a week

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I have some empathy for people of a certain age bracket and availability of a means to connect with online banking. You have the means because you're participating in this discussion online. So why are you doubtful/hesitant to do this? Once you're online I'm sure you will see the benefits of doing your banking from anywhere on the planet and at any time.
Great, my debit card works in Hawaii, but I remember being in a Wall mart here, no power, no tills for at least an hour.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:47 AM

I think the moral of the story here is, accept online banking, but carry some cash in case a debit machine goes down. 👍🏼
Old 01-29-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Yes, this!!
The machine is a computer connected to Internet and all banks. It just has a money dispenser.
but it's not connected to my computer.