Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2024, 10:44 AM

Default Parking fees at AHS P/lots

Been haveing to go for allot of appt. at these p/lots.Does anyone no,if you can claim them on your income tax.Under a medical expense ?? tia
Old 01-26-2024, 10:48 AM

claimed them a few years ago but maybe things have changed

google cra medical expense deductions and that should take you to the page where they discuss this

didn’t know that page existed until after an accountant charged me 200 bucks for a 150 dollar deduction

learning can be painful
Old 01-26-2024, 10:51 AM

Default NO

I have been travelling to Edmonton Cross Cancer clinic and Mazankowski heart clinic at the U of A for 8 years now and, I have been claiming medical expense's yearly on my tax return, according to my accountant I can claim milage, meals and hotels but NOT parking. I keep a spread sheet with every trip recorded and submit it with my taxes every year.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I have been travelling to Edmonton Cross Cancer clinic and Mazankowski heart clinic at the U of A for 8 years now and, I have been claiming medical expense's yearly on my tax return, according to my accountant I can claim milage, meals and hotels but NOT parking. I keep a spread sheet with every trip recorded and submit it with my taxes every year.
good to know
it worked for me but a one time so they must have missed it
Old 01-26-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Since you are travelling from Llyod it is more than 80 Klms and you are entitled to claim parking. You need a new accountant.

Travel expenses (less than 40 km) – travel expenses cannot be claimed as a medical expense if you travelled less than 40 kilometres (one way) from your home to get medical services.

Travel expenses (at least 40 km) – the cost of the public transportation expenses (for example, taxis, bus, or train) when a person needs to travel at least 40 kilometres (one way), but less than 80 km, from their home to get medical services.

To claim transportation and travel expenses, all of the following conditions must be met:

Substantially equivalent medical services were not available near your home.
You took a reasonably direct travelling route.
It is reasonable, under the circumstances, for you to have travelled to that place to get those medical services.

If a medical practitioner certifies in writing that you were not able to travel alone to get medical services, you can also claim the transportation and travel expenses of an attendant.

If you have travel expenses related to medical services and you also qualify for northern residents deductions (line 25500 of your return), you may be able to choose how to claim your expenses. For more information, see Form T2222, Northern Residents Deductions.

For all expenses, you can only claim the part of the expense that you have not been and will not be reimbursed for. However, you can claim all of the expense if the reimbursement is included in your income (such as a benefit shown on a T4, Statement of Remuneration Paid, slip) and you did not deduct it anywhere else on your tax return.

You may be able to claim the public transportation expenses you paid (for example, taxis, bus, or train) as medical expenses. Where public transportation is not readily available, you may be able to claim vehicle expenses.

You can choose to use the detailed or simplified method for calculating meals and vehicle expenses. If you use the detailed method, you have to keep all receipts and records for your 12-month period. For more information and to find out about the rates used to calculate this expense, go to Meal and vehicle rates used to calculate travel expenses.
Example – Travel at least 40 kilometres but less that 80 kilometres

Travel expenses (at least 80 km)the cost of the travel expenses, including accommodations, meals, and parking, when a person needs to travel at least 80 kilometres (one way) from their home to get medical services.

To claim transportation and travel expenses, all of the following conditions must be met:

Substantially equivalent medical services were not available near your home.
You took a reasonably direct travelling route.
It is reasonable, under the circumstances, for you to have travelled to that place to get those medical services.

If a medical practitioner certifies in writing that you were not able to travel alone to get medical services, you can also claim the transportation and travel expenses of an attendant.

If you have travel expenses related to medical services and you also qualify for northern residents deductions (line 25500 of your return), you may be able to choose how to claim your expenses. For more information, see Form T2222, Northern Residents Deductions.

For calculating meal and vehicle expenses, you can choose to use the detailed or simplified method. If you use the detailed method, you have to keep all receipts and records for your 12-months period.

For more information and to find out about the rates used to calculate these travel expenses, go to Meal and vehicle rates used to calculate travel expenses.

You must keep receipts for all accommodation expenses and you must be able to show that the amount paid for accommodation is necessary because of the distance travelled and your medical condition. Claim the amount for accommodation as shown on your receipts.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:44 AM

Thanks Dean, I'll have to poke my accountant with a sharp stick and find out the skinny

Old 01-27-2024, 08:42 AM

To my mind it's obscene you have to pay ridiculous parking charges to access health care, especially if you're from out of town.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-27-2024, 09:20 AM

Daily parking at the hospital 's are very expensive. If you need parking at the hospital for a few days or longer weekly parking passes are available for $40.00 and monthly parking passes are available for $71.00.
These are available from the FMC central parking office. Form has to be completed and signed by a nurse.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:50 PM

Parking at AHS sites is more stressful than a root canal.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:16 PM

Even just trying to find a place to park when you get there is a challenge. Especially around 11am and 3pm.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
To my mind it's obscene you have to pay ridiculous parking charges to access health care, especially if you're from out of town.
Unfortunately people would abuse lower rates. When Covid started I was going to U of A hospital quite often. When they waived the parking fee the parkade was full of people who were parking for free and walking 2 blocks to the LRT. I had to leave home early to give time to find parking. Once they started charging again the parkade was not full again
Old 02-01-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Obscene is the right word, none should have to pay for parking. I know parking generates a lot of revenue that we would have to pay out of our taxes otherwise but people in hospitals are often in their lowest emotional and financial places. It’s not right.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:57 AM

Yup all over, I was at the University Hospital in Saskatoon last spring for an appointment, was in the parking lot exactly 1hr and 25 minutes $6.75 parking fee. of course that included the GST and PST