Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Default whitetail game plans?

most of you guys probably have the big one found and ive never hunted whitetails in september. so i was just wondering wht you guys do to pattern them and put yourself infront of these deer? do you like hunting in a ground blind or tree stand better? and how do you guys find pinch points and such or their bedding areas? any informtion would be helpful
Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 PM

I use 3 different trail cameras in very different areas, thick bush, edge of an alphalpha field and a plain semi-open bush. get out and walk around for a few hours looking for sign, you can tell when you come across a well packed game trail, look for scat and you might even stumble across a few beds. thats where i start and then let the cameras do the work for me, if no big bucks or deer for that matter move the cam to a different spot. I prefer to hunt out of a tree stand then a ground blind, elevation helps me see further and get prepared if a big deer does come strolling in.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM

I use 7 cameras on about 3000 acres of land! Game trails going from food to bedding areas, move them around a bit untill I find a buck I'm after and set up tree stands! Tried a ground blind a few times and hate them!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM

Lots of glassing from the pickup. My success the past 3 years has been strictly based on getting that whitey by surprise. Stayin out of the woods and sneaking in with a climbing stand on opening day or the evening. Pea fields next to good cover are my fav. I do more scouting trails/bedding areas in the spring while shed hunting. Google earth is amazing help. I like to stay out of the woods and hunt the crop edges early when feeding is their priority. When I find a shooter I will saturate the edges of the travel routes and feed area with cameras and select stand locations. I Stay out of the bedding areas. I don't want my secent in the woods to push him off his pattern. Big believer in scent elimination. Check your cameras and set stands when the wind is right, as you would hunt.
I prefer climbing stands to keep me mobile if he moves once harvest gets going.
This weekend I will be in a ground blind for the first time against a 190" class non-typ. Been watching from the pickup every nite for the past 10 days. He walked by the blind at 10 yds last night. We'll see if he does that while I'm in there.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork35 View Post
Lots of glassing from the pickup. My success the past 3 years has been strictly based on getting that whitey by surprise. Stayin out of the woods and sneaking in with a climbing stand on opening day or the evening. Pea fields next to good cover are my fav. I do more scouting trails/bedding areas in the spring while shed hunting. Google earth is amazing help. I like to stay out of the woods and hunt the crop edges early when feeding is their priority. When I find a shooter I will saturate the edges of the travel routes and feed area with cameras and select stand locations. I Stay out of the bedding areas. I don't want my secent in the woods to push him off his pattern. Big believer in scent elimination. Check your cameras and set stands when the wind is right, as you would hunt.
I prefer climbing stands to keep me mobile if he moves once harvest gets going.
This weekend I will be in a ground blind for the first time against a 190" class non-typ. Been watching from the pickup every nite for the past 10 days. He walked by the blind at 10 yds last night. We'll see if he does that while I'm in there.
Good luck!! Hope u get him!!!