Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Default New bow?

Hey guys, I know a lot of folks have been asking the same question lately but I'm gonna start a thread of my own.
I bought a bow last year (used) and am having a hard time getting it all perfectly tuned for me, so I'm considering buying a new bow this year so I can have it all done up exactly for me. I emptied out my "piggy bank" this evening and counted it all up, and I'm thinking I have about $600 total to spend, all I need is the bow and a new quiver and maybe a release depending on how much I spend on the bow.
I'm really looking at the Bowtech assassin and plan on trying one out soon.
Do you guys have any other ideas on what a good bow would be to try out when I'm looking that would be around the same price point?
Thanks a lot.
Schian
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 AM

Stay away from bow tech they do not honor their warranty. Was reading on bowzone a guys week old bow tech blew up and now they won't do anything for him. Take a look at the quest torrent.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM

I bought a bowtech assassin 2 years ago. fortunately it didn't blow up in my hand so I can't comment on the warranty issue but i like the bow alot. You'll know when you try it.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Bowtech Assasin is a Great Bow,Also look at a Pse Bowmadness 3g or a Brute x from Pse,There getting Great Reviews from Everyone.I Personally dont think you could go wrong with any of the 3 I Mentioned,Its all personal Preference and there all within your Budget.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Stay away from bow tech they do not honor their warranty. Was reading on bowzone a guys week old bow tech blew up and now they won't do anything for him. Take a look at the quest torrent.

Andy
Thats funny, I accidentally dry fired my Bowtech a couple years ago, and cracked a limb. Both limbs were replaced on warranty no questions asked, and the bow was already a few years old at that point. Must be more to that story I'm thinking...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Thats funny, I accidentally dry fired my Bowtech a couple years ago, and cracked a limb. Both limbs were replaced on warranty no questions asked, and the bow was already a few years old at that point. Must be more to that story I'm thinking...
I'm just repeating what I read. it doesn't hurt to look into it.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM

Man just save some more money and don't be in a rush. look at those Athens bows. Seem reasonably priced and look like great bows. Do some reading on them. Do yourself a favor and don't cheapout on a bow. Call me sometime and we can chat about some different options. Might be able to help you pick something out.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Tuning a bow is pretty simple. Learn to tune what you have first, them if you still want a new one go for it.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 PM

just curious folks, anyone know where to find pricing for hoyt bows? been looking around for a while and can't find it anywhere.
also does anyone know any dealers other than SPAL?
thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
just curious folks, anyone know where to find pricing for hoyt bows? been looking around for a while and can't find it anywhere.
thanks
Wolverine Sports in Red Deer has lots of Hoyt.

LC
Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, I know a lot of folks have been asking the same question lately but I'm gonna start a thread of my own.
I bought a bow last year (used) and am having a hard time getting it all perfectly tuned for me, so I'm considering buying a new bow this year so I can have it all done up exactly for me. I emptied out my "piggy bank" this evening and counted it all up, and I'm thinking I have about $600 total to spend, all I need is the bow and a new quiver and maybe a release depending on how much I spend on the bow.
I'm really looking at the Bowtech assassin and plan on trying one out soon.
Do you guys have any other ideas on what a good bow would be to try out when I'm looking that would be around the same price point?
Thanks a lot.
Schian
Are you a new shooter? If you are, I don't think a new bow will help. Try practicing. Work on your grip, anchor point and follow through.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg View Post
Are you a new shooter? If you are, I don't think a new bow will help. Try practicing. Work on your grip, anchor point and follow through.
I tend to agree, and yes I am a new shooter. I'm thinking I'm going to try to make this one work, I have been very focused on keeping everything the same every time and I'm going to keep practicing for sure, but I kind of want an excuse to get a new bow too. ha
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM

see if you can shoot a PSE Bowmadness somewhere as well. Should be in your price range. In fact shoot as many different bows as you can.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Take the 600 dollars you have to spend and take your bow into a proper shop and get them to look it over and fit it to you. Then pay them to properly show you how to shoot, shouldnt cost you very much of the 600 to get this one up and running for you properly
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Hoytt

Quote:
thanks
Stoney Creek in Whitecourt sells Hoytt as well. Give Rob a call, 780-778-8879
Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 PM

hey folks, bringing my old thread back from the dead, so now i'm definitely getting a new bow in the next year, mostly just because i want a new one, and the one i'm shooting now needs a new string but a new string is probably worth more than the bow itself.
i shot the assassin a little while ago and it felt pretty awesome, although i love the feel of hoyts, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet
so i will probably be shooting a lot of bows over the next while and want some opinions on ones i should try
the hoyt rampage (xt) caught my eye, have any of you shot one and what did you guys think of it?
any other new bows that i should check out, and if your going to suggest something it would be awesome if you could possibly include the price range (because unfortunately that may have a lot to do with which bow i choose)
thanks a lot
Schian
Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
hey folks, bringing my old thread back from the dead, so now i'm definitely getting a new bow in the next year, mostly just because i want a new one, and the one i'm shooting now needs a new string but a new string is probably worth more than the bow itself.
i shot the assassin a little while ago and it felt pretty awesome, although i love the feel of hoyts, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet
so i will probably be shooting a lot of bows over the next while and want some opinions on ones i should try
the hoyt rampage (xt) caught my eye, have any of you shot one and what did you guys think of it?
any other new bows that i should check out, and if your going to suggest something it would be awesome if you could possibly include the price range (because unfortunately that may have a lot to do with which bow i choose)
thanks a lot
Schian
Picked up the new bear anarchy and it's unreel!! Bow was $850 bare bow!! Smooth, fast and a very solid back wall!!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM

I have a bowtech assassin and like it alot, I haven't tried any of the other bows you have listed.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM

I love my APA Viper V7, Its a single cam, simple to tune bow and it has been flawless. I've had mine for two years and have packed it all over, including to the Northwest Territories when I took a Dall ram with it a couple weeks ago!
They are tough and trusty bows and they run about $800, pick one up and try not to fall in love with it!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 PM

Dont forget to try Mathews they have good bows also.
Try them all and buy the one that suites you not what everyone else likes.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Try them all and buy the one that suites you not what everyone else likes.
yep, thats the plan.
just curious what everyone suggests i try
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Banned

I live in Edmonton, but buy most of my bows in lac la biche from Rene @ northern lights archery. He started out as an instructor then it became an archery shop. He'll set you up right and get you shootin straight.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM

Default Bow

Try out the PSE Revenge $700 bare bow. very quick, and smooth.