Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2024, 04:16 PM

Default Becel Plant Based Butter

By accident I ended up with a pound of Becel plant based butter so the wife and I said WTH let's give it a try, the advertising claims it has all the taste of real butter without the cow....... that's pure unadulterated bull dung, not even close in taste or texture.

Staying with this a minute about a year ago I tried a beyond meat burger just to see what it's like, again not even close to beef in taste or texture, I guess I'm just from the old school, to me these are sort of like driving a tesla, some people think they are OK but they will never be for me.

I can honestly say that I will never become a vegan, I need my meat, potatoes and butter, not some synthetic plant based substitute.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:28 PM

I’m with ya. It’s pretty hard to beat the taste of butter. Years ago if I would go to town I would either stop at A&W or Tim Hortons. The day they introduced “beyond meat” was the day I quit going to both establishments.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:46 PM

Only a vegan would try and convince you that these replacements have the same taste. And they can't appreciate the taste of the real thing.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:56 PM

Margarine tastes like flavour gelled oil. Butter tastes like rich heaven.

When I was lactose intolerant I had no choice. Now that I no longer suffer from lactose intolerance… butter is soooo nice.

Hollandaise sauce made with margarine… just not the same thing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-30-2024, 05:27 PM

Fake meat, fake butter, almond milk, Bud Light...brrrrrrrrr

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-30-2024, 05:36 PM

Non of it is a substitute for the natural food items. They are just different and some are just nasty

Any one who think these substitutes taste the same have dead tastebuds
Old 01-30-2024, 05:47 PM

Yup Butter has always been better , it’s was even better on the farm ,when we milked cows and made our own butter, and fresh cream is delicious
Old 01-30-2024, 05:59 PM

Never could figure out why Vegans who don't like eating meat are so fascinated with eating pretend meat.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
Yup Butter has always been better , it’s was even better on the farm ,when we milked cows and made our own butter, and fresh cream is delicious
Yup that was one job I hated when on the farm churning butter, but when it was done and spread on the warm crust of bread just out of the oven and a dribble of rogers golden syrup from the 5 lb pail, man that was heaven

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:23 PM
AO Sponsor

I will say, butter these days is not good like it used to be. Just not the same. hard as crap too, even sitting out on the counter.

I miss good butter
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-30-2024, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Fake meat, fake butter, almond milk, Bud Light...brrrrrrrrr

Looks like my dogs bacon begging strips
WDF
Old 01-30-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I will say, butter these days is not good like it used to be. Just not the same. hard as crap too, even sitting out on the counter.

I miss good butter
Ditto.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I miss good butter
It's true. We used to get a couple gallons of fresh jersey milk from the farm, every week. A couple inches of cream on top. Churn it with a bit of salt, heavenly.

But even bad butter is better then no butter. A few things in life are like that.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-30-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I miss good butter
The wife buys “Gay Lea” butter. She waits till its on sale. They don’t use palm oil to fatten their cows. We can sit it beside a pound of dairy land butter and the Gay Lea stays soft.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:52 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
The wife buys “Gay Lea” butter. She waits till its on sale. They don’t use palm oil to fatten their cows. We can sit it beside a pound of dairy land butter and the Gay Lea stays soft.
Good to know! Thanks!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-30-2024, 07:48 PM

Beyond meat and Fake meat is cheating and disingenuous just like Trudeau. Vegans and hippies can't be trusted.

Vegans have made their choice ..... so stop trying to emulate meat if they are so against it !!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
By accident I ended up with a pound of Becel plant based butter so the wife and I said WTH let's give it a try, the advertising claims it has all the taste of real butter without the cow....... that's pure unadulterated bull dung, not even close in taste or texture.

Staying with this a minute about a year ago I tried a beyond meat burger just to see what it's like, again not even close to beef in taste or texture, I guess I'm just from the old school, to me these are sort of like driving a tesla, some people think they are OK but they will never be for me.

I can honestly say that I will never become a vegan, I need my meat, potatoes and butter, not some synthetic plant based substitute.

My wife accidentally bought one too. I threw it straight in the compost.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:49 AM

My thoughts on vegan bacon as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2_bQkaG5U
Old 01-31-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I miss good butter
I agree. If I could find a farmer to buy cream from I’d happily do so and make my own butter.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I was just buttering up some toast and looked we have the gay Lea butter
Wife said she bought it on sale but couldn’t remember where
Old 01-31-2024, 10:16 AM

Default added link

Quote:

I miss good butter
The Gay-Lea Grass Fed, salted butter in 250gram block is the closest we've found to old school butter. Spread that on some fresh sourdough bread, it will take you back a few decades.
We buy the Gay-Lea regular 1 lb. blocks for baking and cooking; it is about half the price of their 250gr. offerings.

IIRC Ontario is the only province that does not allow palm oil to be used in dairy cattle feed. That is why their butter products are not bricks of hard waxy substance with no flavour.
Our local butter is the equivalent of chewing a Crayola. We should be selling it to the US Marine Corps.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...tter-1.5927559

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by urban rednek; 01-31-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I miss good butter
Palm oil in cattle feed and palm oil in the manufacturing of it might be the problem.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Never could figure out why Vegans who don't like eating meat are so fascinated with eating pretend meat.
Apparently the fake meat thing is a bust, sounds good if you say it real quick, but the promoters are falling by the road side.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-31-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Apparently the fake meat thing is a bust, sounds good if you say it real quick, but the promoters are falling by the road side.
Kind of like when pot became legal and the big hurrah about buying shares in the industry only to have them tank as the government taxes it at 10.00 per gram when it is now about 2.00 to 5.00 per gram but still being taxed at the higher price.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:15 PM

Default Becel

Becel also pulled fast one before, claiming less saturated fat etc. They just added water and blended it well. Thus sold half as much margerine for real supposedly health product.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Palm oil in cattle feed and palm oil in the manufacturing of it might be the problem.
Never knew this, how does it make financial sense to import palm oil from halfway round the world, when the field next door is probably producing oil seed.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:

I miss good butter
Costco sells in Kirkland brand or another one in a green wrapper of "grass fed organic" that is pretty good and it gets soft. Only problem is they don't always have it and it 9 bucks a pound