Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2024, 01:37 PM

Default Interesting point of view on a privacy policy from a senior

In chatting with a senior I know who lives in a seniors complex for active seniors, she mentioned a change in policy that has upset the residents.

In the past when a senior passed away they put a photo up with a candle so residents knew what happened. If someone was going to be in the hospital for a while they would have a list of names on a board.

Now why is this important?

Well seniors make friends, eat meals, attend recreational activities and go on day trips and as a result have relationships with their fellow residents. When someone goes missing, they are noticed and fairly enough they are concerned and want to know what happened.

Now the company claiming privacy does nothing. When someone dies they just disappear and no one knows what happened. There is no comment. No empathy shown. Just cold silence and it creates significant anxiety amongst the seniors.

It’s very sad. I’ve emailed the Alberta Privacy Commissioner to ask if this is a fair use of the law.

Anyone else running into this at a seniors complex?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-30-2024, 02:07 PM

Sad situation is a lot of seniors live in isolation, often struggling to socialize. Birthdays greetings have a more positive impact, rather than a death roll. In honour though, a tribute would be nice.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:49 PM

I have noticed that in the past.
I spent 5 or 6 years visiting my mom in long term care and you get to meet lots of the residents.
Then one day they are gone
You ask the staff where they are and they say they are gone.
What does that mean gone to another residence or death or what
No one talks it is like a gag order.
Now many people do not have death notices or obituaries in the paper so you never know they passed away.
Some say it is none of my business but when you care about people it matters.
I remember back in the fifties if a coal miner is killed or someone dies there would be a long line of cars going to the graveyard for the funeral
Now nothing
I guess nowdays life does not matter
Old 01-30-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I spent 5 or 6 years visiting my mom in long term care and you get to meet lots of the residents.
Now many people do not have death notices or obituaries in the paper so you never know they passed away.
I remember back in the fifties if a coal miner is killed or someone dies there would be a long line of cars going to the graveyard for the funeral
Now nothing
Privacy commissioner returned an email saying consent is needed to release any info.

My response back was “do you need consent of the dead person to tell others who live in a shared living space that the person died?”

System has gotten past common sense. Telling someone what illness someone has… privacy. Telling the persons neighbour that they went to the hospital. Common neighborly update. Telling someone that a person has AiDS… privacy issue. Telling someone a person died yesterday. Common reasonable empathetic fact.

Weird world.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-30-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Privacy commissioner returned an email saying consent is needed to release any info.

My response back was “do you need consent of the dead person to tell others who live in a shared living space that the person died?”

System has gotten past common sense. Telling someone what illness someone has… privacy. Telling the persons neighbour that they went to the hospital. Common neighborly update. Telling someone that a person has AiDS… privacy issue. Telling someone a person died yesterday. Common reasonable empathetic fact.

Weird world.

That's the way the law is written. There is no room for nuance. The fine is $100,000 per offence.

The specific law is Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Everyone calls it privacy law, but that's technically incorrect.

I'm not being sarcastic here. But we will have to convince federal politicians to change PIPEDA. Unfortunately I don't think it's a hot button issue.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Now nothing
I guess nowdays life does not matter[/QUOTE].... Too bad
Old 01-30-2024, 04:39 PM

In the Crowsnest Pass when someone dies there is a picture and obit at each post office here.
Bellevue, Hillcrest mines, Blairmore and Coleman all have post offices. If they were in extended care it will mention that too.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:46 PM

That is a sad statement on our times. Many of those old seniors the only friends they have left are the ones in the homes / lodges they are in.

Not knowing if someone has passed leaves a hole plus makes you think your own existence is meaningless as you are old and no-one cares.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
That is a sad statement on our times. Many of those old seniors the only friends they have left are the ones in the homes / lodges they are in.

Not knowing if someone has passed leaves a hole plus makes you think your own existence is meaningless as you are old and no-one cares.
So true. But the system doesn’t appear to take that into account.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
That's the way the law is written. There is no room for nuance. The fine is $100,000 per offence.

The specific law is Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Everyone calls it privacy law, but that's technically incorrect.

I'm not being sarcastic here. But we will have to convince federal politicians to change PIPEDA. Unfortunately I don't think it's a hot button issue.
The never ending lesson of unintended consequences in law.

My criminologist friend say the last thing you want is for something to be spelled out clearly with no room for interpretation.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:24 PM

I know a few people that work in the maintenance in these buildings and they
say they stop making friends with the seniors because its so hard every month when they pass away . Maybe its better just to say they are gone .
Old 01-30-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post

Pretty much nailed it. Old folks homes are becoming little more than wharehousing the elderly. Pretty soon they won't even call the family when a parent dies and half of families could care less that they did die.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:38 PM

In a place that houses so many people together do you really believe that those old timers are unable to figure out what has happened. Good grief, they are old not stupid.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-30-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
In a place that houses so many people together do you really believe that those old timers are unable to figure out what has happened. Good grief, they are old not stupid.
People don’t know. Their friends may of died or maybe in the hospital or maybe on a holiday with family.

I’m the end. Silence for senior is deafening.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:06 PM

I just spoke to my daughter who is a therapist at a seniors care facility and yes there is definitely a policy regarding posting of pictures or other personal information.

When people are being admitted / placed in the care facility they or their family fills out admission forms and part of that is a form that either allows them to post or not. If a resident passes away and has signed the release form they simply post a picture of the deceased person and place a lighted candle in front of the picture.

She said in the 7 years she has been there only 2 residents have said no, so it is a personal choice of the resident and the family and yes they must give written consent.

Now I'm smarter also, I know the drill when it's my turn to go into a care facility.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:59 AM

That very creepy and I’m sure not one of the residents agrees with the policy.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:26 AM

This is pretty sad, but it also shows the lack of respect our society places on old people. Warehouse them in an old folks home till they check out. Hopefully this view will change, but I am not holding my breath.