Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Default Elk/Moose/Deer Hunting Thread

Hey guys;

Been a bit slow at work and have been watching the AO forum a lot more than I usually do. Might be because the archery opener for some of AB is coming fast, or the air is getting cooler, or the hunting switch is straight up engaged...

Anyway, the archery category is falling way behind the hunting discussions.
Mainly guys getting their stuff ready, techinical questions, etc. (at least I'm hoping)

Who's stoked to go out?
Who's heading out for the opener?
Trip or day trip?
What's everybody hunting?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 PM

ill hopefully be heading out on the opener for my first attempt at bow hunting going to be going after mule buck
Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 PM

It will be opening day for sure for me.

First time Elk and hoping to find a nice mulie.

Good Luck All.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Opening day is a go! I'm not picky if it walks and I have a tag for it then its goin in the freezer! Whats your setup for the opener? Stand, spot'n'stalk dancin round in circles? Also what are you using? Me spot and stand with my Switchy slingin Montecs which will be riding Arkamids.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Everything is ready to go! August 25 will find me and the wife sitting in tree stands. Bows are all tuned and sighted in, broadheads are on the arrows and waitng! First few days will be all about getting my wife her first animal with a bow. Hope I can carry my luck from last years opener
Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 PM

Had to try and bump my own thread...

My plan...
Aug 23 - Hang trail cams around the house in 248
Aug 24 - Final equipment preparations
Aug 25,26 - Archery Bull Elk (not 100% as to where yet...)
Sept 6,7 - maybe 8,9 - Archery Bull Elk (probably the same place)
Sept 20-23 - Archery Bull moose 349
Sept 24-26 - Guiding moose for my old man (same place, likely with his rifle)
Oct 4-6 - Days reserved for guiding/helping encase my old man doesn't get his bull.
Oct 7 - Hanging stands and checking cams, whiteys should be laying down some scrapes...and should have some good picks by then.
Starting Oct 18th... every 2nd wknd until Nov.30 (excluding the 18th-Nov.) Hunting the bow zone mainly in tree stands for a whitetail buck. And of course likely filling some doe tags, as well as moose if it wasn't filled in Sept or the ladder part of Oct.

Can't wait to get started, my hunting switch became fully engaged about a week ago, can barely sleep. I love where we live and the opportunities put forth!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Well for this guy I am hoping to have an eventful Aug / Sept as I have my second kid coming in October so mid / late season is likely a write off.

Leave early Saturday morning the a NW'ern Elk / Moose / Mule Deer hunt. Hoping for meat in the freezer on this trip. Got my tags bought and some gear all packed.

Having trouble sleeping.

As a side note, I would suggest that all you new archers (as I am sure you experieinced guys know this) have a second release just in case. Was out practising last night and my release busted. Would be shi__y if that happened in the field...

Good luck everyone.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 PM

Heading out early September 338 for deer and elk. See how that goes still trying to find some areas closer to home to bow hunt but running short of time. Will head out west for Nov 1, 2012. Hoping to fill the freezer. Good luck everyone!!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 AM

Going to be out for the archery opener in 510 on sept 1st Be at my cabin for a week! Have moose, deer, and elk on a lot of private property, can't wait, flinging arrows every night, gear is packed!! Pumped!!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM

Ready for the opener as well, thankfull its a long weekend too wont be a trip, rather a few trips every morning as my hunting spot is only 25 min from my house. Got my hopefull deer on cam...daily. all sighted in, gear is packed and ready to go. Super Excited!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM

Depending on if my buddy is busy working or not, It might be go after a velvet mulie buck. If I'm going it alone, as I usually do, I will be trying to kill my first critter with traditional gear. I'll try tostick an elk, I won't be as picky with the recurve in hand. Bull, cow or calf will have to look out. I got the first 5 days of Sept then back to work for one week then I'm off for three weeks, work for one week again then off for another three weeks. Man I love my job.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
Had to try and bump my own thread...

My plan...
Aug 23 - Hang trail cams around the house in 248
Aug 24 - Final equipment preparations
Aug 25,26 - Archery Bull Elk (not 100% as to where yet...)
Isn't the 26th a sunday? I thought Sunday's were no hunting days?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair ptr. View Post
Depending on if my buddy is busy working or not, It might be go after a velvet mulie buck. If I'm going it alone, as I usually do, I will be trying to kill my first critter with traditional gear. I'll try tostick an elk, I won't be as picky with the recurve in hand. Bull, cow or calf will have to look out. I got the first 5 days of Sept then back to work for one week then I'm off for three weeks, work for one week again then off for another three weeks. Man I love my job.
Must be nice!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse96 View Post
Isn't the 26th a sunday? I thought Sunday's were no hunting days?
Depending on where you are....I will be hunting Sundays this year

LC
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM

It will be elk...any elk first. Just got the call from the farm. A couple of bulls showed up in Dad's hay field.

After that Moose from Sept 29th to October 8th.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
Must be nice!
Oh it is beleive me.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Default I was Ready !!

I was All ready to go, Took a walk last night and checked the trail cams, Checked on my tree stand, Did some final rangeing down the shoting lanes, Had the bow tuned up and ready to go. Had a nice easy day planed in the Office catching up on paperwork. Then The dreded call came in at noon, I have to head To a mine in Chetwynd (had to be in BC) to go fix a machine, and even though I am not on call this weekend they still send me today will turn into tomorrow and then sunday, Ill be back just in time to head into the office Monday morning, So lets hope it is gonna be quick and easy and ill be back into town for 5am