Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-16-2021, 06:38 AM

Default Seeking advice on .204 Ruger

Hi Folks,

considering a varmint rifle and hear a lot about .204 Ruger being flat shooting. I understand they come in various barrel twist rates. Is 1:12 twist a slow rate for this caliber and is it therefor better for heavier bullets ? I'm considering mostly for feeding to coyotes but some gopher shooting.

On the subject it is supposedly similar to .223 ...should I reconsider my choice of calibre ? All things considered, choice of bullets, cases, etc

thx for any advice in advance
Old 12-16-2021, 06:49 AM

My go to coyote cartridge is the 20 Tactical, which is very similar to the 204R. With the 39gr Blitzking, it shoots flat and does well in the wind. However, it isn't used often for ground squirrels, because the barrel heats up way to fast for high volume shooting. As to twist rate, a faster twist rate is preferred for heavier bullets, but the 1 in 12" works for 32-39gr bullets.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:52 AM

You’ll love it. I shoot 32gr vmax for everything in mine and have never felt undergunned on coyotes. And I’ve shot lots of them with it. Accurate and flat shooting.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:56 AM
Shooting Xs

All .204 R. factory barrels are 1:12 twist as far as I know, most if not all will stabilize up to 39 grain bullets about half will do 40 grainers.
Slow twists are for lighter bullets ,generally speaking, faster for heavier.
Berger made (makes) a 55 grain .20 cal. that requires a 1:9 twist.

There is an abundance of info online comparing .204 Ruger /.223 Rem. performance/ballistics
Considering the ammo situation as of late, if you're not reloading, that would be a major influence on deciding calibres / cartridges. IMHO
Old 12-16-2021, 08:15 AM

1/11 If you want to shoot 40gr bullets. I like something that can handle 40s because it seems Hornaday 40gr vmax is way easier to find than the 39gr blitzking which seems to be the "go to" bullet for guys reloading for a 1/12 twist. Nothing wrong with shooting 32s but you lose some ballistic coefficient for those long range gopher shots.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-16-2021, 09:37 AM

The 204 is a very capable cartridge. I have two of them. I shoot 35 gr bergers and 39 gr blitz kings with good success. The positive is the recoil. Almost nonexistent and that’s always good. However if I was to do it again I would consider the .223. Most shots are inside of 300 and it makes sense to me a little more hitting power would be good. If you are hunting near Bush and they run 60 to 80 yards and tip over you may not find them. I’ve definitely lost a few like that. For those situations I use a .243 and it’s like they got hit by lightning. I would like to qualify that by saying if you make a perfect shot into the shoulder they are going nowhere with any of them. I am taking my two youngest boys out for their first coyotes this week and they are tough to make a perfect shot on so I found a youth 243 for them. I have shot enough Coyotes to tell you they are not the easiest target and I have hit and missed my share. Probably the only guy though…🙄 I also took my 204 wolf hunting and shot one out of the pack. I did feel under guned. Shot him in the shoulder and dropped him but he was ready to takeoff so I had to follow up. I didn’t bother shooting any of the others. I probably would have with a bigger gun.:
The last consideration would be ammunition and or components. Look on the shelf for 20 calibre bullets. A little tougher to find. 22 are always available. .223 brass is everywhere too. Defiantly the used stuff. Then there’s cleaning. Special tools required there too.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My go to coyote cartridge is the 20 Tactical, which is very similar to the 204R. With the 39gr Blitzking, it shoots flat and does well in the wind. However, it isn't used often for ground squirrels, because the barrel heats up way to fast for high volume shooting. As to twist rate, a faster twist rate is preferred for heavier bullets, but the 1 in 12" works for 32-39gr bullets.
Thanks this is good info. So a 1:12 is considered a slow twist which means its better for lighter bullets?
Old 12-16-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
You’ll love it. I shoot 32gr vmax for everything in mine and have never felt undergunned on coyotes. And I’ve shot lots of them with it. Accurate and flat shooting.
Good to hear. If I may ask what in your opinion is the ethical operating range of that set up on coyotes ?
Old 12-16-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
All .204 R. factory barrels are 1:12 twist as far as I know, most if not all will stabilize up to 39 grain bullets about half will do 40 grainers.
Slow twists are for lighter bullets ,generally speaking, faster for heavier.
Berger made (makes) a 55 grain .20 cal. that requires a 1:9 twist.

There is an abundance of info online comparing .204 Ruger /.223 Rem. performance/ballistics
Considering the ammo situation as of late, if you're not reloading, that would be a major influence on deciding calibres / cartridges. IMHO
Really appreciate that
Old 12-16-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
The 204 is a very capable cartridge. I have two of them. I shoot 35 gr bergers and 39 gr blitz kings with good success. The positive is the recoil. Almost nonexistent and that’s always good. However if I was to do it again I would consider the .223. Most shots are inside of 300 and it makes sense to me a little more hitting power would be good. If you are hunting near Bush and they run 60 to 80 yards and tip over you may not find them. I’ve definitely lost a few like that. For those situations I use a .243 and it’s like they got hit by lightning. I would like to qualify that by saying if you make a perfect shot into the shoulder they are going nowhere with any of them. I am taking my two youngest boys out for their first coyotes this week and they are tough to make a perfect shot on so I found a youth 243 for them. I have shot enough Coyotes to tell you they are not the easiest target and I have hit and missed my share. Probably the only guy though…🙄 I also took my 204 wolf hunting and shot one out of the pack. I did feel under guned. Shot him in the shoulder and dropped him but he was ready to takeoff so I had to follow up. I didn’t bother shooting any of the others. I probably would have with a bigger gun.:
The last consideration would be ammunition and or components. Look on the shelf for 20 calibre bullets. A little tougher to find. 22 are always available. .223 brass is everywhere too. Defiantly the used stuff. Then there’s cleaning. Special tools required there too.
Very helpful thanks
Old 12-16-2021, 03:24 PM

Both my .204's shoot 40 gr. V-Max very well. One is a standard Ruger varmint with a 26 inch barrel, the other is a semi custom Remington 700 I picked up here on the forum it has a 24" barrel. Sorry I don't know the twist rate off hand for either rifle. IF I were buying a new .204 strictly for coyotes I would buy a CZ they have a long enough barrel in MHO to stabilize the V-Max and have a heavy sporter barrel. IF the V-Max did not stabilize most people have had really good luck with the 39.gr. pill.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:36 PM

Falcnr, I think you will be happy with a .204.

Been shooting a Savage Model 25 LVT in .204 Ruger with a 1:12 twist for a number of years. Mild recoil, very accurate, fun to shoot.

Have had good results with Sierra 39 Blitz Kings and Nosler 40 gr. BT Varmint bullets over 25.5 grs of Benchmark. With the heavier barrel I don't mind sitting in the gopher patch with this one and will switch between my 22-250 and 17 HMR as shots/barrel temp/distance, etc dictate.

Unfortunately it has not performed that well with the lighter 32 & 33 grain bullets. Although, having said that, I am still trying to work up a load with some Hornady 33 gr. V-Max and Berger 36 gr HP's. The latter is showing promise.

I will tend to pick up my Winchester Featherweight in .223 when I want to chase coyotes, only because it is a lighter rifle.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:24 PM

flat and fast...you can see the fur part on a hit ... also you can dope a miss as you can see the misses and hits
Old 12-16-2021, 04:40 PM

If you can find a CZ 527 in that configuration grab it. Nice and light with a proven action. They are discontinued, but you might find one.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-16-2021, 07:36 PM

I shoot a TC Pro hunter with a 28 inch SS fluted barrel. I have had great success with a 26 gr Barnes varmint grenade. It really likes 32 gr Vmax. Still working on a recipe for the heavier bullets.

My findings have been that under 100 yards coyotes tend to explode. Can put a football in the hole. One coyote at 300 yards was a nice neat thru and thru hole.
I have 6x18x50mm Bushnell on top. Gophers out past 200 easy. Use a 17hmr for anything out to 150 yards.

Magpies, ravens, crows, pigeons, and fox have all been in the mix as well.

When I first started with it, ammo was about a buck a round. I have been able to reload for about 35 cents a round. Factory ammo is now up there.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:46 PM

Default I always post this link when the discussuion is on the 204

This is great info

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cart...des/20caliber/
Old 12-16-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Both my .204's shoot 40 gr. V-Max very well. One is a standard Ruger varmint with a 26 inch barrel, the other is a semi custom Remington 700 I picked up here on the forum it has a 24" barrel. Sorry I don't know the twist rate off hand for either rifle. IF I were buying a new .204 strictly for coyotes I would buy a CZ they have a long enough barrel in MHO to stabilize the V-Max and have a heavy sporter barrel. IF the V-Max did not stabilize most people have had really good luck with the 39.gr. pill.
Thanks for the input
Old 12-16-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
Falcnr, I think you will be happy with a .204.

Been shooting a Savage Model 25 LVT in .204 Ruger with a 1:12 twist for a number of years. Mild recoil, very accurate, fun to shoot.

Have had good results with Sierra 39 Blitz Kings and Nosler 40 gr. BT Varmint bullets over 25.5 grs of Benchmark. With the heavier barrel I don't mind sitting in the gopher patch with this one and will switch between my 22-250 and 17 HMR as shots/barrel temp/distance, etc dictate.

Unfortunately it has not performed that well with the lighter 32 & 33 grain bullets. Although, having said that, I am still trying to work up a load with some Hornady 33 gr. V-Max and Berger 36 gr HP's. The latter is showing promise.

I will tend to pick up my Winchester Featherweight in .223 when I want to chase coyotes, only because it is a lighter rifle.
Good stuff. The .204 has interested me for a few years. I keep hearing how good the blitz kings are (if we can find them). If they shoot that well it makes sense to stick with what works.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
I shoot a TC Pro hunter with a 28 inch SS fluted barrel. I have had great success with a 26 gr Barnes varmint grenade. It really likes 32 gr Vmax. Still working on a recipe for the heavier bullets.

My findings have been that under 100 yards coyotes tend to explode. Can put a football in the hole. One coyote at 300 yards was a nice neat thru and thru hole.
I have 6x18x50mm Bushnell on top. Gophers out past 200 easy. Use a 17hmr for anything out to 150 yards.

Magpies, ravens, crows, pigeons, and fox have all been in the mix as well.

When I first started with it, ammo was about a buck a round. I have been able to reload for about 35 cents a round. Factory ammo is now up there.
Oh Wow so pretty explosive on coyotes up close but those are light bullets. I was hoping 400 yds would be attainable with the .204 for a coyote size target. Gophers at 300 yds are pretty small. Thx for this insight
Old 12-16-2021, 11:34 PM

Default .204 comparisons and ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Thats Awesome ! thanks so much !
Old 12-17-2021, 07:10 AM
Shooting Xs

I've loaded for 3 26 inch barrel .204's, all 3 shot 39SBK's and 40 Vmax well. 2 shot the SBK's into tiny 5 shot knotholes the other did slightly better with the Vmax. than the SBK's.

There are a few powders that work well, but my go to load is Winchester brass ,39 SBK's, IMR8208 XBR powder with CCI primers. Velocities between 3800 -3850 FPS.
I can't comment on bullet performance on Yotes with these, but in the Gopher patch a .204 is a lot of fun. Switch off rifles when they get warm,300 yard hits easy enough. The Vmax have a thinner jacket so they are a little MORE EMPHATIC with the red mist effect.
Definitely won't get the barrel life that you would with a .223 though or some of the other .20 cals. based off the .223 case but, I had a custom 1:8 twist .223 at the same time, I sold it and kept the .204.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:36 PM

I would not buy a .204 strictly for coyotes unless you reloading.
Horrible factory selection of good bullets. Most are varmint bullets and a coyote aint no varmint.
If handloading, there are more choices from custom bullet makers.
I've seen way to many coyotes get away from 32 grain plastic tipped rounds.
]
Old 12-17-2021, 06:14 PM

Default Thought I would share the pertinent info

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcnr View Post
Thats Awesome ! thanks so much !
Why are folks turning to the “Terrific Twenties”? Among the most important reasons are: low recoil, high velocity, low noise, reduced cost, longer barrel life, and better ballistics for a given bullet weight. In short, compared to a .223 Rem, a Twenty shoots flatter, costs less to shoot, and is easier on the shooter’s shoulder and his barrel.

The first time you shoot a 20-Caliber rifle, you’ll note that there is minimal recoil, meaning the muzzle stays on target. No loud, dust-kicking muzzle brakes required here. You can shoot and actually “see the show”. The rifle doesn’t move enough during recoil for you to loose your target in the scope. This enables you to quickly asses the results and make a follow-up shot, if need be. A related advantage is low blast and noise. Even with relatively short barrels, 20-caliber rounds burn less powder than larger varmint cartridges such as the 22-250, and the Twenties make less noise. This definitely works to the hunter’s advantage in a large field of ground squirrels or prairie dogs.

I’m often asked how a 20-Caliber gun compares with the ever-popular .223 Rem. Well, I tell people the Twenty is flatter-shooting, easier on barrels, and it is a better choice for small varmints, whether you want to “mist ’em” or save the pelt.

The Velocity Edge–A .204 Ruger drives a 40-grainer 600 fps faster than a .223 Rem can push the typical 22-Caliber 50gr bullet. This higher velocity produces a flatter trajectory. Additionally, grain for grain, 20-Caliber bullets have higher ballistic coefficients than .224 bullets. Combine this with the extra velocity of the 20-Caliber, and you get superior performance in the wind. Run the numbers and you’ll see–a 40-grainer shot from a .204 Ruger has less drop AND less wind drift than a 40gr or 50gr bullet fired from a .223 Rem. You’ll find the data in the chart below.

Component Economy and Barrel Life–All the Twenties burn way less powder than a 22-250, and the smaller Twenties use less powder than a .223 Rem. This attribute actually has two advantages. First, it makes shooting 20-Caliber cartridges more economical, but mostly it means less barrel heat. A typical varmint hunter may shoot several hundred rounds in one day, so barrel heat is an important issue.

Terminal Ballistics–For hunters seeking maximum explosive effect on a small varmint, Twenties deliver the goods. Because it passes through the rifling much more quickly, a 20-Caliber bullet will be turning much higher RPMs than a 22-caliber bullet launched from a barrel of similar twist rate. Experienced varminters will tell you that high spin rates create the most explosive impacts. On the other hand, if you shoot a non-fragmenting bullet, the Twenty can minimize hide/fur damage. If you plan to keep the fur, you want the smallest possible hole or damage to it.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Oh Wow so pretty explosive on coyotes up close but those are light bullets. I was hoping 400 yds would be attainable with the .204 for a coyote size target. Gophers at 300 yds are pretty small. Thx for this insight
I hit a few coyotes with a 32 gr V Max under 100 yards. They are clipping along at 4200 feet per second. Pelts were useless.
400 yards is easily reached and as someone said better reload to fine tune.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:25 PM

350 yards on a standing up gopher if you sit him on the top strata wire in a Sightron 4-16 with the Hunter Holdover Reticule and squeeze the trigger the gophers problems just disappear. (That works out to about 3.5" of bullet drop @350yds.)

If I had to choose between a .223 and a .204 it would not even be close I would vote for the .204 every time. I use 25.0 grains of TAC powder DO try different primers they will make a difference.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. If I may ask what in your opinion is the ethical operating range of that set up on coyotes ?

Most of the coyotes I shoot are 350yds and less. Most less. I have shot and killed a few out past 450yds with it. Yes, my 22-250s and 220 swift’s drop em harder and faster, but there’s more fur damage and more noise and recoil and more expensive ammo.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
I would not buy a .204 strictly for coyotes unless you reloading.
Horrible factory selection of good bullets. Most are varmint bullets and a coyote aint no varmint.
If handloading, there are more choices from custom bullet makers.
I've seen way to many coyotes get away from 32 grain plastic tipped rounds.
]

Coyotes are thin skinned, thin boned, thin muscled. Where are you aiming for and hitting that a 32gr plastic tipped bullet won’t kill them? We aren’t talking internet experts here, I’m talking real world experience.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:59 PM

Had 3 different 20 Cal. rifles for coyotes over a ten year period ( 20 Tactical, 204 Ruger and a 20 VT) Loaded with either 35 gr. Berger's, 38 gr. Wildcats and 39 gr Sierra's.
For the most part they were good coyote rounds but none are in my gun cabinet anymore. The 223AI has been my go to coyote cartridge for the past 4 years. I really don't have anything against the 20's but find I have less runners and spinner with the 223AI shooting 64 gr Berger's than any of the 20's.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Coyotes are thin skinned, thin boned, thin muscled. Where are you aiming for and hitting that a 32gr plastic tipped bullet won’t kill them? We aren’t talking internet experts here, I’m talking real world experience.
Not sure why anyone one would use a 32gr when 40gr available.
A 40 gr will rip a gopher apart in a most violent way and knock a coyote down just as effectively as a 22.250 with a 55gr.
A 40 gr Vmax is way more fur friendly than anything I used in a 22.250, and I used one for 20+ years.
I'm on my my 8th year with a 204 and havent found any reason for changing to a different coyote round.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Not sure why anyone one would use a 32gr when 40gr available.
A 40 gr will rip a gopher apart in a most violent way and knock a coyote down just as effectively as a 22.250 with a 55gr.
A 40 gr Vmax is way more fur friendly than anything I used in a 22.250, and I used one for 20+ years.
I'm on my my 8th year with a 204 and havent found any reason for changing to a different coyote round.

Because the 40gr seem to go thru and make exit holes a lot more often.