Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2021, 07:55 AM

Default Shotshell Reloader Comparison

Hi everyone, I'm considering reloading 12 and 20 gauge shotshell and was wondering what you think of the Dillon SL900 vs the MEC Reloaders, particularly the 9000GN or similar.

What are the pros and cons of each? Realistic production rates? Ease of gauge conversion? Maintenance and operation issues? Any comments or observations would be much appreciated.

The Ponsness/Warren is also a possibility, I know very little about them, I have a second hand SL900 already so the gauge conversion makes sense however I am open to suggestions on the best way to go.

For perspective I am getting into skeet/trap/clays so most will be 12 gauge for sporting and 20 gauge for birds and upland. At least that's the current template but its all in flux..............

Thanks, all the best and a Merry Christmas to all,
Old 12-20-2021, 08:24 AM

How many rounds do you intend to shoot per year, and why do you want to reload? 12 gauge target loads are much cheaper than the small gauges, and you use more lead to load the standard 12gauge target loads. If you are only going to shoot 5000 rounds of 12 gauge per year, you won't save money loading 12 gauge, it will take multiple years just to pay for the $1000-$1500 press. I don't bother with 12 or 20 gauge, because the cost savings doesn't justify my time, or buying a press, but I do load 28 gauge and 410 for skeet, because the savings are huge for 28 gauge and 410. I can load 28 and 410 for less than half the cost of factory target loads, so the presses paid for themselves the first year, and I save $1500-$2000 per year by loading 3000-4000 rounds of each. I have two MEC 9000 presses, and I average about 250 rounds per hour, and they loaded great ammunition right out of the box. You do occasionally get shot in the sizing collet, which will cause issues until you clean it, but overall, the 9000s are pretty trouble free. About 30 years ago I loaded 12 gauge on a Ponsness 800c, and it was much faster, more like 400 rounds/hour, but if there was an issue, you needed to unload every station, and start again. I am told that you can now remove a problem hull at any station like the MEC, but I haven't used a new PW press.
If you are going to make your own shot, that changes everything, as shot is a huge part of the cost to reload, but that is more investment and time, and sourcing lead isn't as easy, with many wheel weights not being made of lead anymore.
As to converting from gauge to gauge, that varies in cost from press to press, and it varies in time,and you may need to adjust the various stations for each new gauge. It is not practical to convert a MEC 9000 from gauge to gauge, as you would need to buy too many parts, and the time to swap over and adjust for another gauge isn't feasible, which is why myself and others run multiple presses.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-20-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:38 AM

I have had both 9000H MEC'S and the Posness Warrens, but i am a confirmed MEC Fan Boy, At one time I had about 8 of them that II picked up used for cheap from guys who got out of it, II still have a few in 12, 20, and 28.
I make my own shot but also load copper, Bismuth, Nice Shot and nickel plated shot for upland and waterfowl in my vintage cartridge guns using the MEC loaders.
Cat
Old 12-20-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have had both 9000H MEC'S and the Posness Warrens, but i am a confirmed MEC Fan Boy, At one time I had about 8 of them that II picked up used for cheap from guys who got out of it, II still have a few in 12, 20, and 28.
I make my own shot but also load copper, Bismuth, Nice Shot and nickel plated shot for upland and waterfowl in my vintage cartridge guns using the MEC loaders.
Cat
There seems to be a lot more people getting out of it, than getting into it, especially for 12 gauge. I see a lot of 12 gauge presses for sale at great prices, but not so many 28 or 410.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-20-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:34 PM

I like the MEC Grabber more than my 9000Gs. Manual advance gives me less messes to clean up. In fact I use my 9000Gs like a Grabber by disconnecting the gas cylinder auto-advance.

The main reason I continue to load 12, 16 and 20 ga ammo isn’t the cost savings, rather the ability to load lighter target loads for skeet and close sporting clays shots. Also for use in our light weight SxS and O/U bird guns for clay target practice.

Obviously as stated in several posts above the cost savings is very large for the .410 and 28 ga, and they don’t need light loads to be comfortable to shoot.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:11 PM

Since no one asked...

I have a Hornady 366 in 12 ga.
It works for me.
It's the only one I've ever used, so I am no help making comparisons.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:06 PM

I've been using Ponsness Warren 375's for close to 50 years - can't say enough good things about them. They easily adjust for various hulls, components, gauges etc. They are capable of producing shells that are resized to factory specs with a radius crimp that will function well.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiute View Post
I've been using Ponsness Warren 375's for close to 50 years - can't say enough good things about them. They easily adjust for various hulls, components, gauges etc. They are capable of producing shells that are resized to factory specs with a radius crimp that will function well.
The problem with the 375, is that it is a single stage press, so it is slow. It takes too long for a serious skeet/trap/sporting clays shooter that shoots large volumes of ammunition.