Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Sonar suggestions.

Hello. Still new. Looking for recommendations for a reasonable price and performance sonar to help better find the fish and the right structure.

TIA
Old 10-27-2018, 04:54 PM

What I'd recommend would depend on your budget, but you can't go wrong with either Humminbird or Lowrance units - both are excellent.

One of the features I'd highly suggest, or even insist on having, is a GPS mapping ability so you can record accurate depth charts, return with accuracy to productive areas on the lake with structure that holds fish.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
What I'd recommend would depend on your budget, but you can't go wrong with either Humminbird or Lowrance units - both are excellent.

One of the features I'd highly suggest, or even insist on having, is a GPS mapping ability so you can record accurate depth charts, return with accuracy to productive areas on the lake with structure that holds fish.
Excellent. Thank you. There are so many options out there and its hard to navigate (no pun intended)... Just need something simple and effective for my little inflatable...
Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 AM

EZM is quite right. Both Humminbird and Lowrance make good units, but what would be recommended likely depends on budget.

The ability to have GPS mapping on your sonar unit is quite helpful, as is onboard depth map creation. Most manufacturers now have this feature which allows you to map the depth of the lake as you drive, giving you an idea where the drop offs, ledges, weedlines, etc are. Some have additional mapping features like bottom hardness and vegetation.

Since you mention putting the unit in your inflatable I would suggest looking for a portable unit. They typically come with a carrying case and suction cup mount for your transducer, as well as a 12v 9 amp hour battery. The self contained aspect is quite nice in a small boat. An added bonus is that you can get an ice transducer for them and use them for ice fishing as well if you do that. In that case all of you mapping and waypoints from summer come out with you on the ice and you can really put that GPS to work.

I just picked up a Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP GPS PT from Cabela's. It has all the features outlined above. A bonus for me is that I have big Helix units in my Princecraft, so I can use the Autochart info off those units and put it in this little guy effectively giving me the map I made of the lake depths and all my waypoints. It has an ice fishing mode as well, so I will be picking up an ice transducer for it and using it this hardwater season. I have a 12'd a 16' tiller that I use for smaller and more remote lakes and this unit is perfect for that. Both of these boats have outboards without electric start or charging, so a stand alone sonar unit is helpful as it comes with it's own battery in a tidy package.

If you have any specific questions about Humminbird stuff feel free to give me a PM and I do my best to help you out. I'm not overly familiar with the Lowrance or Garmin options but others on here are.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-29-2018, 11:53 AM

I went through the same process a while ago for my kayak and ended up with a Garmin Striker 4. Dependable, low cost and has GPS and depth. You can get the portable package too, but I didn't. I just bought a small sealed AGM battery at Can Tire and put it in a Plano Marine box.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Agree with the Garmin Striker 4. Bought one at Cabelas on sale for $104 on sale last June. Came with a suction cup mount as well as the electric trolling motor mount. Bought an aluminium case from Princess Auto for 15 bucks and an SLA battery for $30. Easy to operate and great if you don't want mapping. I can use this year round and it didn't cost me as much as my old H"bird did and it is a lot easier to navigate the menu. Watch GPS ciy and GPS central for deals this winter.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 PM

garmin sriker 4 portable....got mine for 200 .....good for ice fishing and i also use it on my inflatable kayak.....
Old 10-30-2018, 09:20 AM

If you go back through previous threads there has been lots of debate and convos on this exact thing, and some similar topics.

Good luck! New finders are so fun! Still playing with mine after 3 years.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danapop View Post
Excellent. Thank you. There are so many options out there and its hard to navigate (no pun intended)... Just need something simple and effective for my little inflatable...
Simple, effective and perfect for a inflatable. Humming bird fishing buddy. I got mine for quite a bit cheaper on sale at cabelas. Sonar and down imaging. Shows fish/ fish sizes/ structure/ depths/ temp. Can adjust sensitivity, pretty slick and portable. Built in transducer. 8 AA batts last about 8-10 hours ive found.

https://www.ebay.ca/i/282817263208?chn=ps&dispItem=1