Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 10:09 PM

Default What trap gun would you choose?

Looking for some suggestions on trap guns.
With a max budget of $2500.00 what new or used gun would you purchase and why?

Feel free to also say which ones to avoid.
Thanks in advance.
360hunt

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 PM

Buy one that fits you. I would be looking Browning or Beretta for a starting point.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 PM

If you never shoot doubles, I’d buy a good used BT-99 and spend some dollars to get the stock to fit you properly.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:16 AM

How much trap do you plan too shoot?
There are many good brands and types on the market.
I was speaking to an old friend last year who at one time was ranked in the top ten of international trap shooters Worldwide , and we both agreed besides fit, the sky is the limit but most shooters do not need to spend a great amount of money on a good gun.
he remarked that he could still drag out his 1100 Remington to an ATA trap field and likely clean the course if not only drop a bird.

You can buy a very inexpensive attachment to grab thee ejected shell , if reloading is in the works as well.

There are many good semis on the market as well as O/U's, and singles like the BT99.
A used BT99 or 1100 will let you spend the money saved on ammo.
Personally, I am a big fan of the old Wingmasters, and these days shoot 7/8 or 1oz loads , so recoil is not a factor after a flat of ammo.

Make sure you can hit with whatever you are buying !
Cat
Old 06-23-2018, 06:55 AM
Banned

If your only shooting singles I'd highly recommend a bt 99. Doubles I'd recommend a over under in a Browning citori or a wińchester 101.

If you're interested I know where there might be a bt 99 for sale. I can't recall exactly what it is fitted with but I believe a mercury recoil reducer, adjustable kick down recoil pad, screw in chokes and ported barrel.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM

Browning Citori
Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 AM

I think I remember reading about one big name hunter (Chuck Adams I think) who really got into trap, he bought the dedicated trap gun and got good with it. But when fowl seasons came he couldn't the live birds with his hunting gun.
The trap gun found its way to the back of his gun closet.

Reading that was enough to dissuade me from buying a trap gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledin View Post
I think I remember reading about one big name hunter (Chuck Adams I think) who really got into trap, he bought the dedicated trap gun and got good with it. But when fowl seasons came he couldn't the live birds with his hunting gun.

That story is someone making excuses for lousy shooting. No way, no how does the practice you get on a trap, skeet or sporting clay field go to waste when you are hunting. The more shotgunning you do the better game shot you will become!!! Preiod, end of Story.

As to which gun, I like Browning O/Us for trap, and skeet because that and a Winchester 23 is also what I hunt upland with. They will last for tens of thousands of rounds and are not all that expensive, plus they fit me well.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledin View Post

I use dedicated clays guns for clays, SxS shotguns for upland, and a semi auto for waterfowl, and as long as the gun fits, I can shoot them all well. If I miss, it is because I missed , not because I shoot different kinds of shot guns.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
How much trap do you plan too shoot?
There are many good brands and types on the market.
I was speaking to an old friend last year who at one time was ranked in the top ten of international trap shooters Worldwide , and we both agreed besides fit, the sky is the limit but most shooters do not need to spend a great amount of money on a good gun.
he remarked that he could still drag out his 1100 Remington to an ATA trap field and likely clean the course if not only drop a bird.

You can buy a very inexpensive attachment to grab thee ejected shell , if reloading is in the works as well.

There are many good semis on the market as well as O/U's, and singles like the BT99.
A used BT99 or 1100 will let you spend the money saved on ammo.
Personally, I am a big fan of the old Wingmasters, and these days shoot 7/8 or 1oz loads , so recoil is not a factor after a flat of ammo.

Make sure you can hit with whatever you are buying !
Cat
x2 for all the aforementioned... i can still wipe up the field with a 1970's winnie 101 in 20ga .. and also held court as a a 17 year old with an 1100 ... that said i have shot most of the best and to me it all comes down to fit x fit x fit ... presently run a browning cx3 with mueller chokes ... but still bring out the 101 (40K+ rounds and still tight)