Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 PM

The low end Savages are even clunkier than their higher end guns.

But they typically shoot rings around much higher dollar iron.

I loved shooting my 12LRPV .204. This gun gave up NOTHING to any other rifle in varmint hunting.

Beat up a lot of the 'big brands' in so doing.

Better trigger than all of them too.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and my Savage was UUUUUGLY!

But if Form Follows function, she was the best rifle there.

But far from a 'CHEAP' gun at 1400.00....
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I've got a Sako 75 in .270 Win I bought new quite a few years ago which I hunt with. I always loved it and was very happy with it. Then I bought a Savage .17 hmr with accu-trigger for gophers. After shooting the Savage I realized how terrible the trigger is in my Sako.
True story.....A couple of years ago I bought a Sako 85 because I wanted to upgrade from my ugly Savage 111.....I figured that I deserved it at this point in my life. I had intended to sell the Savage because I had 2 rifles in 30.06 but after a year, guess which one I sold. The Sako.....lol.....and my ugly Savage is still knocking deer down with one shot, time after time.

PS. Nothing bugs me more than going hunting with a fella with a pretty rifle who treats it like a baby and is afraid to scratch or bump it a bit. Put it on the darned wall and buy something that you're not afraid to hunt with for goodness sakes......sweetheart.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:38 AM

Over a decade of hard hunting has removed most of the "pretty" from my Sako anyway. Packing a tree stand on my back and slinging the rifle on my shoulder left a lot of beauty marks the second year lol.

I agree Dave, pretty doesn't kill game. I do appreciate things like metal trigger guards and clips though which seem more dependable. I wouldn't want a rifle I would lose a lot of sleep over if I scratch it.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:30 AM

The accutrigger hate it but great marketing by savage all the other rifles I own have better triggers.the loose half circle on the back of the bolt another manufactering shortcut and taking averages they shoot no better than any other factory rifle I have used.but overall still decent enough firearms
Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 AM

Some people are easily impressed.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 AM

Speaking from lots of personal experience, their rimfires have taken a nose-dive in terms of QC. Perhaps they were conscious decisions to compromise to save money..yet the price creeps up. (US company, but the rimfires are made in Canada..still the increases....?)

The centerfires have never been pretty, but some of you guys are hung-up on visible nuts. Relax! lol Every Savage centerfire I've ever shot was MOA with even cheap factory ammo~including the Axis I shot in .223. BUTT-ugly gun, but my nephew owns one and all the dead groundhogs are proof the thing does it's job. My precision 10 carbine (.223, see my avatar) is a laser beam with hand loads and there is simply no way anyone could convince me a TIKKA/SAKO/700 will out-shoot it. As good? I'll accept that. Better? I have my doubts. Those 3, and many others I'm sure, are more thoughtfully designed, carefully manufactured with nicer machining~I'll agree with that 100%. When it matters, the Savage will put the bullet where it counts, in a package I don't mind hunting hard with. I even like most finishes/stocks the "better" Savages are equipped with. 100% utilitarian.

Having said all of that, my only pet peeve with Savage is the pricing. I think if Savage wants to put together roughly finished guns..regardless of how well they shoot...they ought to be mindful of how much nicer their competitor's guns are made. Savages can stay as they are...but the price should reflect that.

One last thought~the Savage 25s? Shame on that company. Beefed-up 93 rimfire actions with a nicer finish~and charging 2-1/2 times as much. Homely-looking things too. Every 25 sold should come with a sticker that says "hey buddy, a Tikka T3 light is only about $150 more..think about it"

Feeling a bit testy today...
Old 03-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Savage rifles & International 1/2 tons. Everyone watches you go by but you don't want to know why....

Heyyyyy:

I have Savage 11 in 30-06 made in 1962, and it looks ok.Shoots ok. Not as good as a Sako or Tikka.

BTW. They also made International half tons in 1962, and they were a good truck.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Banned

it's someones way of saying "don't trade me junk" "quality trades only"
Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
it's someones way of saying "don't trade me junk" "quality trades only"
There is a lot more than just Savage that falls into that category.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There is a lot more than just Savage that falls into that category.
yup they just get the poop end of the stick
Old 03-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
yup they just get the poop end of the stick
I think milsurp rifles get the poop end of the stick. $350 will get you a swiss k31 or a savage axis..... I know which one I'd rather have based on quality and function

Second can of worms open, brace for return fire

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-26-2015, 03:55 PM

Naaa no ones gonna dis the k-31 how could you be upset with paying 300-350 for a rifle that would cost $2500+ if it was new production.
Only critisim is Suitable hunting ammo can be a pain to find
Old 03-26-2015, 04:17 PM

I shot an older model 110 in 30-06 that was accurate and a pretty good rifle, I have no experience with the new Savage's.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:35 PM

I own 4 centerfires and 1 rimfire. They all shoot good when I do my part.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 PM

Savages are a cheap gun that shoots well and you can't ask for too much more than that. My brother owns a 111 and it seems alright. Would I buy one? No. I would rather pay more for a nice quality, great looking gun that I will be proud to hand down to my daughter someday.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 PM

Savage stopped producing real guns in 2003.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Buying a Savage with the intent of creating or receiving a high-end, or at least a good quality rifle is like trying to assemble a winning NFL team on a Leper Colony. In either scenario, it's only a matter of time before pieces start falling off.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:39 PM

I had a Savage in .243. The cheap seam on the plastics bothered me, so when I was drunk one night, I tried sanding them out. Very ugly gun in the morning!
Another alcohol induced idea was to camo the gun, turned out amazing, even when sober.
I made the mistake of selling it to my son, he refuses to sell or even give back, because it is so accurate.
I have a 30-06 in a 111 and wouldn't think of selling it, seeing as I don't drink anymore it will stay factory "fugly"
JH
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
, it's very accurate, lightweight and hasn't failed yet. .
Yeah, but it isn't as good as my Remington! My Remington is just...well... GOODER.... WAY GOODER! LOL
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Where are the "ugly" gun reports..? The barrel nut is so ugly, whether itbe castlenated or smooth, ugly!
I disagree, its got that handsome rugged look, kind of like a 'Harrison Ford' type, solid, practical,
Old 03-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Cool They're not that bad.

I have a model 116 trophy hunter in 338 and a model 10 xp predator hunter in 223. Only issue I've had was the weaver scope that came on the 338, switched it out for a Ziess and havent had a problem since. The Simmons scope that came with the 223 works perfectly. They're not that bad.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 PM

If you want smooth and pretty go buy sako. If you wanna be half way there buy Remington. If you want gun that shoots out of the box or for a budget target build, savage is hard to beat. I mostly don't care what a gun looks like, it's a tool and I have never looked at a hammer or a wrench and said this is prettier then someone else's tools. As long as it gets the job done to the standards I require I can live with anything savage or Remington. For me savages do it with less money.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 PM

I just bought a Savage 110FCP-K in .338 Lapua after much reading. In heads up shooting time after time, it ranked equal to much more expensive guns. I've got a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 & .223 and they are great. Shoot better than I can, but I'm catching up. Are they better, probably not. A little prettier, but as the saying goes, 'chrome don't get you home'.
I saved between 1-2 grand on a rifle that professional shooters agreed was equal to the others in group sizes. Let me tell you, 2 grand will feed her for quite awhile. Gives me the ability to get better quality optics than I would have otherwise.
Unlike some folks, I still have to save my sheckles and budget to play the sport I enjoy.
And make no mistake, this beefy bugger can and will be passed down to my son to use someday. It's not only the pretty ones that get appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:17 PM

I've got a 93r17 that I got a deal on. The junk scope it came with was junked, and the only scope I had that wasn't mounted on something was a Vortex 3X9, so that went on it.

It's such an accurate rifle I bought an Axis on sale at Cabela's in .223. It's wearing a Nikon 3X9 and the pair are both incredibly accurate. I worry more about the scopes getting banged around than either rifle, but neither one has ever failed to go bang, and hit what I'm shooting at. I guess I'm not very picky; that's good enough for me
Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 PM

Most of the manufacturing companies make lower and more high end products to satisfy the spectrum of clients. All rifles today will hunt just fine. Nothing wrong with Savage. There is a vast selection of guns available to the consumer today. Choose what you like, can afford and enjoy the shooting sports.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 AM

I have an 11 hunter xp in .243 that gives me 1" at 200 meters with hornady superformance. And I am about to buy another 111, this time a trophy hunter xp in .300 win mag that has a Nikon 3x9 x 40 as a part of the package. If it is half as accurate, I will be really happy. As for ugly...? What? But I also think that a ruger #1 with wood all the way to the tip is just beautiful, so I like odd looking guns anyway.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM

The old Savages were real well built rifles. We pulled apart a new one (Axis)and the parts kinda reminded me of a BIC lighter...functional but not for a long time.. They may shoot well, but is it going to fail just when you need it.

....and as far as the accutrigger......gimmick... tuned 2 stage triggers have been around for a long long time....but it isn't even that....really. My accutriger is keep the finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot.

...and sorry guys but there are far better options out there for just a few dollars more......if your just looking for a tool.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 AM

Judging by some of the comments here, a lot of people would rather hunt in a Porsche with George Clooney then an old Ford pick-up with Clint Eastwood on account of looks.

I'll take the tool that works. Not a fan of the Axis but that being said, how many people were able to go hunting with an accurate rifle when they had very limited resources to spend.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:32 AM

Lot of well made used rifles out there more than capable. It kills me when I see a young guy looking at cheep stuff when there's an older Husquevarna sitting in the next rack for not much more money. Seen it happen...more than once...but of course the Husquevarna wasn't a Magnum.....

...and an old Ford pickup shouldn't even be a comparrison.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Nothing ugly about the groups.

- besides, even the ugly ones need love.
Beauty is in the the eye of the drunk guy at the end of the bar....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...