Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Ruger No1

Hey guys, I have had a love for the Ruger No1 for a long time now. I have started selling my rifle in order to go down to basically 1 rifle. It will basically be a deer rifle with maybe an occasional elk. It will be an early retirement present to myself. I really can’t buy one until my other rifles are sold.
What caliber would you suggest is the best fit for the No1 ?
I have read a lot of horror stories as far as accuracy issues with these. And of course great reviews.
Would you mind offering up your opinions,suggestions and experience with this rifle. Should I buy new or used?
Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM

I’d get it in 30-06 or .280 for long actions, while I’d suggest a .308 or 7mm-08 for short actions. I haven’t got a .280, yet, but the other 3 are my most used calibers in my safe, including .243.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 PM

I would get whatever one you can find with nice wood. Most of the newer ones look like the stocks came from the same factory that makes tongue compressors and popsicle sticks. With a classy gun, plain grained wood just does not cut the mustard, especially with what they are charging for a new one. That's my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I’d get it in 30-06 or .280 for long actions, while I’d suggest a .308 or 7mm-08 for short actions. I haven’t got a .280, yet, but the other 3 are my most used calibers in my safe, including .243.
The ruger #1 is a single shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Would you mind offering up your opinions,suggestions and experience with this rifle. Should I buy new or used?
Thanks
If you find the right one used, thats what I would buy. If not new is an option - however they have gone way up in price in the last few years. I much prefer the 1a to the 1b version but it's all personal preference. Their triggers are typically heavy and creepy. But there are aftermarket options or have a good smith rework the sear/hammer. (You might also luck out, some aren't as bad as others )

Last edited by double gun; 12-06-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 PM

I have owned dozens of no1’s in all sorts of configurations from box stock RSI’s to total custom long range match rifles that weighed 20pounds !
The one I currently own is a single shot in .303 Brit but it is a total custom from muzzle to recoil pad , not a thing is factory on it except for the actual receiver itself .
I danged near bought s used RSI in 257 Roberts off CGN s little while ago but I already gave my dream rifle!
Fir a big game rifle that one would be right up there for me as well as Prophet River has a good one in 6.5 Creedmoor , it is a 1B I think.
It all depends on the type of hunting you want to do .
Cat
Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 PM

I have always thought a .280 AI would be nice in a No. 1. There are so many good options these days on cartridges. If it is going to be custom or semi custom just pick your favorite cartridge and never look back.

Heck Cat's got one in a long "obsolete" clambering and seems to love it (who am I kidding I would love that rifle too).
Old 12-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Talk to the guys at Prophet River, I picked up a 1A Sporter in 257 Roberts from Clay a few years go that he ordered thru the Ruger custom shop. Sweet rifle, an it shoots better than I can, so that's good enough for me
Old 12-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Talk to the guys at Prophet River, I picked up a 1A in 257 Roberts from Clay a few years go that he ordered thru the Ruger custom shop. Sweet rifle, an it shoots better than I can, so that's good enough for me
Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 PM

A #1A in 7x57 would be my first choice for what your needs are or if you can find one in 275Rigby, even better.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:51 PM

I am not crazy about the scope, but the wood looks decent.

https://store.prophetriver.com/consi...range-reticle/
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am not crazy about the scope, but the wood looks decent.

https://store.prophetriver.com/consi...range-reticle/
holy crap the eye killer 5000
Old 12-06-2018, 04:29 PM

Thanks guy's for the input. Feel free to show off your rifles. I am interested in low recoiling calibers. What is the 7x57 like?
There is a member here selling a .308 with nice wood, but I can't do it until mine are gone.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks guy's for the input. Feel free to show off your rifles. I am interested in low recoiling calibers. What is the 7x57 like?
There is a member here selling a .308 with nice wood, but I can't do it until mine are gone.
The 7x57 is ballistically similar to a 7mm-08, and recoil is quite mild. The nice thing about dealing with Prophet River, is that they will sell your firearms on consignment, and if you take a store credit, you don't pay a consignment fee. If you decide to take a cash payout, they charge 15%. I had them sell more than 20 firearms over the past two years, and they sold most of them, for more than I would have asked.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The 7X57 is a sweetheart to shoot even in a 20" barreled RSI!
The 308 is also a good one cartridge recoil wise.
Cat
Old 12-06-2018, 05:16 PM

I've been using the No 1 for 37 years now in 30-06 and taken deer, elk and moose.

I love the gun. The 06 round is enough for anything in North America and is available everywhere if you ever need more ammo. I wouldn't know for sure because I have only used more than one shot on one occasion (deer). Actually the first round was a kill shot but the deer didn't know it was dead and I put the second one into it before it decided to fall down.
With a bit of tweaking the powder and loads I got to consistently cloverleaf 5 rounds at 100 yards - good enough for what I am going after.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Default 6.5 284 norma ... 257 bee

I really like my 257 Weatherby mag the 28 in tube gets all the velocity out of that hundred grain bullet. Very flat very low recoil for that amount of performance. My other Ruger number one is a 6.5 by 284 Norma. Shoots Great in the Wind, little bit more recoil for that performance. Ammo is expensive. More of a handloaders cartridge, on the other hand if it's just a hunting rifle one box a year isn't that expensive good luck with your search.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Can you get one chambered in 35 whelen, would be a good do all rifle set up!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-06-2018, 05:29 PM

One of my favorite No.1's as far as wood goes, but it was not in a cartridge I fancy so I shot to deer with it and sold it!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-06-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Can you get one chambered in 35 whelen, would be a good do all rifle set up!
There was a real nice one in 35 wheeler at the gun show on the weekend. He wanted $1100.00 . I almost bought it, but got cold feet when he told me that it had never been fired but had it free floated and bedded. Also I new nothing about the 35 Whelen but was told that the recoil was more than the 30-06. So as I am recoil sensitive I chose to pass.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 PM

I’ve always wanted a custom #01 in 338-06 or 35 whelan. A 338 federal or 358 win would be nice too.

Maybe I’ll go crazy one day and sell all my rifles and invest in a beauty
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I’ve always wanted a custom #01 in 338-06 or 35 whelan. A 338 federal or 358 win would be nice too.

Maybe I’ll go crazy one day and sell all my rifles and invest in a beauty
You would be surprised at how cheaply you can get that done!
but, you could always get one in 35 something or other then tart up the wood!
I got the wood for my last Ruger and my Martini 6.5/06 from this fella in New mexico, George Peterson
http://www.treebonecarving.com/
Cat
Old 12-06-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
The ruger #1 is a single shot.
I know that.... what’s that have to do with any of the calibers I’ve mentioned. All are great all around calibers and can hold there own.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 PM

A reason to choose a short action chambering in a single shot is a slightly more compact and lighter action. In a Ruger 1, with its falling block action, there is no such benefit.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
A reason to choose a short action chambering in a single shot is a slightly more compact and lighter action. In a Ruger 1, with its falling block action, there is no such benefit.
Correct, I have owned them in .223 to 375H&H all in the same basic action !bthe only difference was barrel configuration and length
Cat
Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I see what you’re saying, but I know it’s a falling block. I was more referring to recoil then the actual action size. Some people prefer short action cartridges over long action cartridges. Myself I’m a short action fan, but I still like my 30-06 and one day I’ll enjoy my .280, probably in a #1 as well. Oh what a day that will be.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 PM

My #1 in 30-06 is the nicest, most accurate rifle in the safe. Im biased, but thats my 2 cents.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 AM

I just picked up a #1 in 7-08 from PR, think Epps has 2 or 3 more, but, he didn't put up pics, and I didn't feel like calling them. If this one shoots, I'll keep it and sell the 700 in 7-08. Anything in a 6.5 or 7mm on a 55mm or 57mm case or a 308 case, is plenty adequate for what the OP wants, none are heavy recoilers, all are good enough for what he wants to do.
The only thing I've had any difficulty with on this gun, is getting the rings I want for it, got those here on AO, from David Henry, just waiting for the scope now, might have that tomorrow. PR has done well out of me this month.
I've had a few #1's now, tough not to own one, once you've had one.

Last edited by 32-40win; 12-07-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
There was a real nice one in 35 wheeler at the gun show on the weekend. He wanted $1100.00 . I almost bought it, but got cold feet when he told me that it had never been fired but had it free floated and bedded. Also I new nothing about the 35 Whelen but was told that the recoil was more than the 30-06. So as I am recoil sensitive I chose to pass.
Then 7-08'it is....search high, search low for one, great cartridge and will do what you require it to do and no big smack just a nice push and able to still see your game through the scope after the mild recoil....good luck!

Oh and there are some real nice ones out there with very attractive wood patterns so take your time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I just picked up a #1 in 7-08 from PR, think Epps has 2 or 3 more, but, he didn't put up pics, and I didn't feel like calling them. If this one shoots, I'll keep it and sell the 700 in 7-08. Anything in a 6.5 or 7mm on a 55mm or 57mm case or a 308 case, is plenty adequate for what the OP wants, none are heavy recoilers, all are good enough for what he wants to do.
The only thing I've had any difficulty with on this gun, is getting the rings I want for it, got those here on AO, from David Henry, just waiting for the scope now, might have

that tomorrow. PR has done well out of me this month.

You can buy a one piece Picatinny rail for the Ruger number 1.
E.W.G. makes them ..
Old 12-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
The only thing I've had any difficulty with on this gun, is getting the rings I want for it, got those here on AO, from David Henry, just waiting for the scope now, might have that tomorrow. PR has done well out of me this month.
You buy ruger rings from WGP, or the ruger warranty place (snapshots).