Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 PM

Default Livingston and Tribs

Fished the Livingston, and couple tribs on Sunday. The Liv is running high, and off colored, looks like mid June, not mid July conditions. The flood has carved some new runs, and some sections have changed. However, it did fish alright. The tribs are clear, and near normal flows. All fish were healthy, and had lots of energy. Only saw a couple risers all day, but I did manage to get fish to come to fly most of the day.
Highlight of the trip was seeing a cougar (from the truck) on the way out. It was right off the road, across from a popular parking spot to access the Oldman River. So many trailers and vehicles pulling out Sunday on that road, I was just in the right place, at the right time to see him. I have only need a couple cougars, but this one looked really big to me (pics don't do it justice). Very cool!

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...pscee675ac.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...pscefe3744.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps51f204a3.jpg
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM

they are gorgeous animals aren't they. seen two in the wild that have been the hi-lite of my animal sightings so far. also to see one in one of the best fishing rivers in the province is also a bonus.

how is the FTR? did it take a pounding from all the rain or is it in decent shape?

rgds
Mike
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
they are gorgeous animals aren't they. seen two in the wild that have been the hi-lite of my animal sightings so far. also to see one in one of the best fishing rivers in the province is also a bonus.

how is the FTR? did it take a pounding from all the rain or is it in decent shape?

rgds
Mike

I've yet to see a cougar. Very neat you spotted one so close to all that random camping /quading mess.

The FTR is in rough shape. I checked out some of my usual spots, and they will likely be inaccessible for the rest of the summer. The main road is now open, some side/quad bridges are washed out, culverts were destroyed (since than replaced), lots of erosion. In many portions of the rivers the channel has totally changed. It's like fishing new water!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM

I found the FTR it's self to be alright, you can see a couple sections that they had to repair from the river taking out the bank, and part of the road. The road I usually take in from hwy 22 at Maycroft, is really rough with lots of big pot holes, much worse then last year (you just have to take it a little slower). Nothing to do with the flood I think, it just hasn't been repaired or graded in a while.