Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Default buying a shotgun advice

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a either a sxs or an o/u but because I'm a young guy I don't make a whole lot so preferably under 1000$ but I just want something that works and won't fail me so any suggestions and advice are welcome thanks!

and also mossberg silver reserve over and unders any good?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Anyone??
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM

For under a thousand bucks I would look at either a CZ or used Browning. The cheaper guns honestly suck. They're either way too tight to make up for sloppy tolerances are are just cheap and soft metal. The CZ is a quality gun at an affordable rate and the used Browning's can be had for often around the $1000 mark. The Mossbergs are Ok for some rounds now and then but have all kinds of issues with the firing pin.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Pretty sure the old wingmaster has killed more feathered game then any other.
I love em. I think they retail around $850 new... good luck finding a used one!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Pleaase note that CZ o/u shotguns are not made by CZ. They are made by Huglu of Turkey and that firm is not known to be a maker of fine shotguns. I had one for about a week. I figured they were a well built gun and since it had CZ on the label, it had to be good, right? Wrong. The action became too sloppy very fast. I returned it and got a better gun. Yup, a Berreta. No regrets. There are other lower price o/u guns out there that are decent. Use Google and start reading.

Remember that most owners are going to say they are great, even if they are not. It is afterall, the opinion of one. If they were not taken by buyer's remorse, then perhaps they have different standards on quality than I do. I wish we had a Consumer Magazine for a reference guide but unfortunately, we don't.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM

if your set on spending under a $1000 for a o/u, the yildez is pretty decent and you can find some gorgeous wood on these if you look hard, $750. The Lanber is probably one of the nicest o/u under a grand, tough to find in Canada but south of the border they are plentiful.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Smile My opinion

If you are going to pass shoot ducks, either buy a good o/u or an 870. If it is upland birds and an occasional round of trap, there are number that should meet your needs.

I have a Yildiz in 20ga. and like it a lot. It is light and works great.

My wife has a silver reserve in 20 ga. and it is a bit heavier and kills them dead too.

The used market is great if you know what you want.

Welcome, we need more hunters!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Spend under $500 and get a Rem 870 supermag pump. That thing will last you forever.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 PM

I have owned several CZ SXS guns, and own a hammer Clasic at this time that I use for ducks and geese occsasionally.
After 2006 they are very well made, the older onws tend to have firing pin problems.
They are solid , well made guns.

The Yildiz guns tend to run a bit lighter, but also work very well.
Dante's has a run on Savage Milanos at the moment that are a super deal, these guns ar emade by FAIR in Italy.
Occasionally you can run into an older superosed belgian made Browning for under $1,000 as well.

I would suggest you try a SXS before deciding to buy one, because not everybpdy can get used to them.

If you phone Clay at Prophet river I'm sure he can help you out with a decent gun....
Cat
Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a either a sxs or an o/u but because I'm a young guy I don't make a whole lot so preferably under 1000$ but I just want something that works and won't fail me so any suggestions and advice are welcome thanks!

and also mossberg silver reserve over and unders any good?
What are going to do with the gun? Hunting, Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet ??
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM

it will mainly be used for sporting clays and upland hunting ie: pheasants and partridge.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Sporting Clays means thousands of rounds.

You are going to need a gun to handle such large numbers
Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

Thgouands 0f rounds only if you go out on a continual basis!
Many guys only get out once or twice a season.
We have a guy at our club who has a Silver Reserve combo, 12 and 20, and uses them on a fairly regukar basis for trap and skeet.
The gun sems to be holidng up fine, noit as many rounds as if he were out as much shooting SC's, but still he puts more rounds through it than a lot of people do in a season.
Cat
Old 11-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

I have a Winchester sx3 that I use for clays and waterfowl so I probably won't be putting over 1-2 hundred rounds through it a year
Old 11-02-2011, 03:33 PM

a used aya wouldnt be a bad choice i had an aya matador that was a great duck and goose gun
Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
Spend under $500 and get a Rem 870 supermag pump. That thing will last you forever.
and you can also use it for a boat oar in a pinch.....

These are POS....dont buy one! Your shoulder will thank me!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Here's one that would work well for ya
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=105572
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Here's one that would work well for ya
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=105572
thank you time sink I'll bite on that thread
Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have owned several CZ SXS guns, and own a hammer Clasic at this time that I use for ducks and geese occsasionally.
After 2006 they are very well made, the older onws tend to have firing pin problems.
They are solid , well made guns.
Well, I bought one in 2009 and it was a POS. Well made?!! Geez CAT, come on.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 PM

uplander I have 2 yildiz that were both well under 100 bucks and I love them. I have a 12ga O/U and a 20ga sxs. Both of them have incredible wood and are beautiful to look at, easy to carry in the field and point extremely well. I have used them for the past 4 seasons and I have put lots of rounds down each gun with out so much as a hiccup. I have also shot plenty of clays and such with them as well. I did upgrade the pad on the 12ga and it now fits me better and is a bit softer for me.

that being said...are they a high end gun...no. I can feel the difference for sure when comparing it to a top of the line B gun etc.....but I also didn't spend thousands of dollars on them. I am in the field with my guns and don't want to have to worry too much about dinging up my gun that cost me thousands of dollars (if I could afford it I most likely would have one though lol)

I love mine, they work great, easy to clean, easy to shoot and cheap if you look in the right place.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Well, I bought one in 2009 and it was a POS. Well made?!! Geez CAT, come on.
for every gun that has a decent rep there are incidents of bad ones, and CZ is no different.
I'm not sure how many you have owned, but I have owned and shot several, and they are a decently made shotgun, check out the huglu forum on shotgunworld.com and you will see.
I have no problems taking my hammer classic anywhere any of the new sythetic guns go and have no worries about t being as relaible .

Four years after I sold my CZ mini Bobwhite in 28 it is as solid as the day I first got it, and it was a used gun then.
I wuld certsinly buy another if looking for another shotgun, which I am not however...

Cat
Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Fair enough. I am not suggesting every gun they make is bad any more than ever Dodge RAM has the death shake problem. But all it takes is 4-5% to have issues and that equates to thousands of problem guns. If one reads the many internet comments on the CZ shotguns in Google, you start to wonder just how good they are. If someone was only using it for an occasional hunt, maybe it would be okay. But I want high volume reliability in any shotgun I buy and Berreta or one of the other higher end guns provide that. Sure they cost more, but quality and reliability count for a lot in my world.

Last edited by Eagle Eye; 11-03-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I am not suggesting every gun they make is bad any more than ever Dodge RAM has the death shake problem. But all it takes is 4-5% to have issues and that equates to thousands of problem guns. If one reads the many internet comments on the CZ shotguns in Google, you start to wonder just how good they are. If someone was only using it for an occasional hunt, maybe it would be okay. But I want high volume reliability in any shotgun I buy and Berreta or one of the other higher end guns provide that. Sure they cost more, but quality and reliability count for a lot in my world.
Well, there are several CZ guns that are going htrough high volume shooting on Shotgun World as we speak, one a semi auto.
My CZ got used more on the skeet field every week than any of the berretas that wee out there, but thsat is not the point.
Mine was a field gun, and if i were going to to compete again it would not be with that particular gun because I can pick up a few birds here and there with a hevaier, smoother swinging gun - not saying would not look at a CZ competition gun however.

But high volume shooting can and is done with them by many wityh CZ guns.
After checking some of the compalaints on googla a while back, it was found that many of them were cut ad pasted or simply quoted by people, and those people actually had never even fired a CZ.
I'm not saying that they are the end all and be all of the shotgun worls because i don't think thatat all, but they are good guns, as good as the guns in nthe same brackets they are in.

BTW, the Huglu forum memebers give you an hinest review if their guns, warts and all!
There have been soime problems for sure, but nothing that most guns would not have problems with.
there arw threads everywhere on that site about K guns, P guns, B guns, etc with problems as well, I know I also have had problems wit different brands oif high end guns in the past, but nothing that is typical or can be nailed down to a specific trait of that brand.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Well, there are several CZ guns that are going htrough high volume shooting on Shotgun World as we speak, one a semi auto.
My CZ got used more on the skeet field every week than any of the berretas that wee out there, but thsat is not the point.
Mine was a field gun, and if i were going to to compete again it would not be with that particular gun because I can pick up a few birds here and there with a hevaier, smoother swinging gun - not saying would not look at a CZ competition gun however.

But high volume shooting can and is done with them by many wityh CZ guns.
After checking some of the compalaints on googla a while back, it was found that many of them were cut ad pasted or simply quoted by people, and those people actually had never even fired a CZ.
I'm not saying that they are the end all and be all of the shotgun worls because i don't think thatat all, but they are good guns, as good as the guns in nthe same brackets they are in.

BTW, the Huglu forum memebers give you an hinest review if their guns, warts and all!
There have been soime problems for sure, but nothing that most guns would not have problems with.
there arw threads everywhere on that site about K guns, P guns, B guns, etc with problems as well, I know I also have had problems wit different brands oif high end guns in the past, but nothing that is typical or can be nailed down to a specific trait of that brand.

Cat
Why are you writing so much stuff to try to convince me CAT? You won't convert me back to a Huglu no matter what. I like CZ stuff, I own two of their rimfires. But as I said, the CZ is not the maker of their shotguns. That should cause concern right off.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Why are you writing so much stuff to try to convince me CAT? You won't convert me back to a Huglu no matter what. I like CZ stuff, I own two of their rimfires. But as I said, the CZ is not the maker of their shotguns. That should cause concern right off.
Ya knw what, I wasn't tsling to you trying to convert you or anybody else, and caould care less if you think they are junk or savage rifles ( which are winnnig big matches in stock form) are junk.
Who cars if CZ does not make their own shotguns, neither does Weathrby or dozens of other companies.
I owning one gun that breaks makes it junk then I can tell you that Berretas are junk, Brownings are junk Anschutz are junk, FAIRS are junk, and a mess of others.

Shoot whatever you want, but don't automaticly call someting junk becaus eyou had own bad experienxe and then try and come on here and post that I have some hoidden agenda like you have before.
As far as I see it the last few days all you have tried to do is slight so screw you .
C'ya
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-03-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Ya knw what, I wasn't tsling to you trying to convert you or anybody else, and caould care less if you think they are junk or savage rifles ( which are winnnig big matches in stock form) are junk.
Who cars if CZ does not make their own shotguns, neither does Weathrby or dozens of other companies.
I owning one gun that breaks makes it junk then I can tell you that Berretas are junk, Brownings are junk Anschutz are junk, FAIRS are junk, and a mess of others.

Shoot whatever you want, but don't automaticly call someting junk becaus eyou had own bad experienxe and then try and come on here and post that I have some hoidden agenda like you have before.
As far as I see it the last few days all you have tried to do is slight so screw you .
C'ya
Cat
Boy oh boy, that kid really got your craw today didn't he. Up yours too there good buddy. I don't agree with your opinion on many products and you seem to go out out your way to disagree with my likes and dislikes. If you like cheapo stuff Cat, that is your call. I don't. 'Nuff said.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

Default gun

Weatherby 20gauge semi auto, I think it's called an SA-20 or something like that. You can get this gun for between $450-500, and it is just as lite as the Benelli M2 Field 20 gauge, and the recoil is very minimal. If you're buying an O/U, wait until you have the money to buy a nicer one in a little higher price range. Until then, this semi will do you fine and only burn half of your budget...also, you'll get 3 shells per flush or flock, and that can't be a bad thing ever!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Boy oh boy, that kid really got your craw today didn't he. Up yours too there good buddy. I don't agree with your opinion on many products and you seem to go out out your way to disagree with my likes and dislikes. If you like cheapo stuff Cat, that is your call. I don't. 'Nuff said.
I don't care if it's cheap, I do care if it's reliable and in the case of my match rifles very accurate and reliable.
All my guns are, from my original rifles and shotguns right up, to the modern stuff, be they Anschutz or Savage, greener, or CZ.

Cat
Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I don't care if it's cheap, I do care if it's reliable
Reliable and dependable guns is what I am all about. I thought I made that clear.
Quote:
in the case of my match rifles very accurate and reliable. All my guns are, from my original rifles and shotguns right up, to the modern stuff, be they Anschutz or Savage, greener, or CZ. Cat
Now you are really reaching CAT. I never said anything about your match rifles. The topic was shotguns. Cheap ones! The thread reads "buying a shotgun advice".

As for my comment on the closed post where you got into the ****in' match with the new hunter, I happen to admire a person that has ethics and high standards. I also admire that the young man fought for his place against very tough odds of success (on this site especially).

I trust this ends the discussion. Have a nice life.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Cz redhead 103de,nice gun,good bang for the buck,and yes I own one,I love it!