Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 09:40 PM

Default 7mm-08/7mm Rem Mag and 338 Federal/338 Win Mag

Looking to add two Tikkas in the calibers listed above. One would be set up for mountain deer hunting (7mm-08 or 7mm Remington Magnum) and the second would be set up for mountain big game (elk, moose) (338 Federal or 338 Winchester Magnum).

I don't expect I would ever shoot at a game animal beyond 400 meters and frankly probably not even that far. I have lots of experience with the 308 family of cartridges (own a 243 and 308 Battue), where they have proven to be reliable killers of whitetail deer in the short range hunting of the eastern woods.

Is the extra "oomph" of the magnum calibers worth the recoil/muzzle blast over the 308 family cartridges at the ranges I would consider ethically shooting? I've read the ballistics tables, but would appreciate hearing from hunters who actually hunt in the wide open spaces of the west.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:55 PM

i had a 7mm08 , was a great caliber , dropped anything i shot quick. i have a 7mm rem mag , it was my first non enfield rifle and i can guaranty you wont need an bigger caliber for anything around here . tikka t3 in a magnum is gonna kick like a mule . if it was me and i didnt already have a bunch of rifles i'd buy a 30 06 or 7mm rem mag and call it a day. of course when it comes to rifles ,the more the merrier.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:00 PM

You'll get a ton of opinions on what calibers are 'right' for various animals. If you watch any of Randy Newberg's youtube shows, you'll see he takes many elk with a .308 or 7-08 at the ranges you describe. Seems to largely be a personal preference. I've been using a 7mm Rem Mag for about six years now on deer, but am considering moving down to the 308 or 7-08 as I think these calibers make it easier to practice more often (vs my 7 RM). Just my opinion...
Old 11-21-2017, 10:03 PM

I would start with the 7mm-08 with a 140 grain good bullet. It's all you need on the animals you mentioned at the distances you will most likely shoot.
If you really need another gun I would go with the 7mm Rem Mag loaded with a 160-175 grain bullet for the bigger game or longer distances.

if you want to stick with the .308 family a 30-06 would be a great 1 gun set up.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 AM

Gotta think about your end use. Caliber/cartridge alone is no longer the question with modern powders and bullet designs. you aren't likely going to see a big difference in terminal result between the 308 class from 7 to 308 to 338, using high quality bullets. Dead is dead. The 7 is a little flatter, but not $1g worth.

I'd suggest shooting a tikka in 7 Mag before buying one. One of the less than pleasant experiences I've had.

Your 308 is going to be a great choice for everything here, you won't need to change. If you want something different, two ways you could go with this to perhaps change your real world capability. An ultralight, sub 7 lb (all in) mountain rifle in 7-08 or 6.5 cm. That's gonna be significantly easier to carry up mountains.

Or a 26 or 27 inch barreled, turret scoped, >10 lb, 7 mag/300/whatever flavor of fast and flat. That kind of rifle works great for stand/blind/cutline hunting when you don't have to carry it all day.

Last edited by 3blade; 11-22-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:37 PM

Check with some friends and try out a few calibers in various rifles, and make sure you compare apples to apples. Best not to have after purchase surprises.

The new synthetic stocks on many rifles weigh less than traditional wooden stocks, which they often try to balance off with good recoil pads ... less weight usually means more felt recoil, a good recoil pad usually means less felt recoil.

Buy something that fits you well (especially in length of pull) with recoil you can manage, and in a caliber that you can afford to practise with( one of the main advantages of 30 06 and 308 is that they are so darn affordable you can practise, practise and practise)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:36 PM

For what you want to hunt any one of the four chamberings you mentioned will do just fine.
So really you don't "need" two rifles but two is more fun than one.
Do you find recoil as a negatively effect of you shooting ability?
Consider that when choosing the gun.
Myself I hunt deer to moose with a 338 win mag in a T3 lite.
I find the recoil manageable but some would consider it extreme.
It's sure nice to carry when you're going up hill.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Those are good chamberings, but...

If you’re settled on a new Tikka, you might want to go with a long action cartridge, like 7mm Rem. Mag or 338 Win. Mag. The T3 series is only available in a long action, so there’s nothing much to be gained getting one of them in a short action chambering. For consideration...
Old 11-27-2017, 09:03 AM

I'd go t3 lite stainless in 7mm-08. Light, accurate, managable recoil, and more than enough power for anything we have and if you don't like it easy to sell.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 AM

I bought a T3x in 300win mag and was a bit hesitant to shoot it as I thought it was going to kick pretty good. After the first wincing squeeze waiting for the hard hit to the shoulder I was pleasantly surprised. It kicked a bit harder than my 30-06 but not so much that it was a problem.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Lots of the T3 in 338win mag had accuracy issues. This lasted for quite a few years and I don't know if it ever got resolved.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Lots of the T3 in 338win mag had accuracy issues. This lasted for quite a few years and I don't know if it ever got resolved.
I was skeptical of such a light barrel in that large a bore.
Most of my 3 shot groups have 2 almost touching and usually 1 MOA total.
Some custom gun makers won't chamber 338 in a light mountain model.
Its asking a lot from a barrel to produce accuracy with such a thin tube.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:31 PM

7mm doesn't recoil any harder than 30-06 so I wouldn't put it in near the same class as the 30 mags. I don't notice it being any stiffer than my .270 to be honest and the 270 is a lot heavier gun.

More of it is rifle design. Some rifles absorb recoil well and some don't. Tikka just happens to be in the DON'T zone, although the T3x is a helluva lot better than the T3. Monte Carlo stocks can beat you up a bit in the big mags as well.

Buddies T3 Hunter 7m is a pain in the arse to shoot. Might as well have a brick duct taped to the end of the stock. Catches me on the same shoulder bone every damn time. Hats off to anyone shooting their ultralite synthetics in 338.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I was skeptical of such a light barrel in that large a bore.
Most of my 3 shot groups have 2 almost touching and usually 1 MOA total.
Some custom gun makers won't chamber 338 in a light mountain model.
Its asking a lot from a barrel to produce accuracy with such a thin tube.
You got a good one then, quite a few were 3 MOA shooters. The bbl contour was not really the issue. Guys tried stiffer recoil lugs, bedding and the action, adding upwards pressure to end of bbl and some of the other tricks not normally needed with a t3. Some guns shot better with the tweeks some didn't.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:01 AM

my 7mm rem mag tikka t3 lite doesnt kick too bad.

i put a limbsaver pad on it and have no problems sitting down and shooting 50 hot handloads.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:24 PM

My Tikka T3 lite in 7mm has been awesome, I would highly recommend. The 45$ limbsaver pad add on makes recoil more manageable but in the end you are shooting a 7mm.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Funny, I just did that. 42 years of 7mm rm 160gr. Just switched to 7mm08 my savage 114 build shilen barrel shoots better than rem mag but weighs more. Have fun. My first six measure .50 .
Old 12-10-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
If you’re settled on a new Tikka, you might want to go with a long action cartridge, like 7mm Rem. Mag or 338 Win. Mag. The T3 series is only available in a long action, so there’s nothing much to be gained getting one of them in a short action chambering. For consideration...
Other than the short magnums what is to be gained by using a short cartridge like one of the 08 family is less recoil.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 PM

I have a Tikka T3 in 338 Federal. Got it off of a member here last year. Feels like shooting a .308, but have a choice of heavier bullets.