Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Breaking news attack in Toronto

look like 9 dead with a vehicle.

Sad

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...north-toronto/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-23-2018, 03:22 PM

I hate to be a pessimist, but I suspect there will be more attacks to come.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:24 PM

Nine people are dead, and sixteen more are injured, many critically, after a rental van mowed down pedestrians for close to three kilometers in North York Monday afternoon.

From Globe
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-23-2018, 03:26 PM

That cop in the video has some balls, looks like the idiot tried to get shot with his repeated "gun" pulling.
Yet another senseless loss of too many lifes for nothing. Crazy times we're living in.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:37 PM

A damn shame!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 PM

I sure miss the days of 30-50 years ago when life seemed so much better, less drama in the world, I don't remember things being so stupid back then..sorry to hear about more loss of lives for no good reason at all..
Sadly
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Nine people are dead, and sixteen more are injured, many critically, after a rental van mowed down pedestrians for close to three kilometers in North York Monday afternoon.

From Globe

Very sad news.

On another note (and mods, if this angers anyone, please delete it!)...

Time to ban vehicles....yeah I know .... a silly argument. But that's just how anti firearms groups spin it. Shame we can't focus the public's attention on the fact that it's not the tool that does the killing....it's the deranged person.

rant over
Old 04-23-2018, 04:13 PM

This doesn’t surprise me anymore. It’s becoming regular occurrence. Before long this type of thing will not even be newsworthy. Sad.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
This doesn’t surprise me anymore. It’s becoming regular occurrence. Before long this type of thing will not even be newsworthy. Sad.
When the Paris truck attack happened I thought the same, and now it's here. Edmonton had one, now TO. Scary stuff as you can't defend against it.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Unhappy Sad

I'm typically not part of the AO Drama Club, but given the circumstances, I thought I'd share this update;

As of 6:12PM EDT - https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/9-dead...er&_gsc=AYEtso
Old 04-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I sure miss the days of 30-50 years ago when life seemed so much better, less drama in the world, I don't remember things being so stupid back then..sorry to hear about more loss of lives for no good reason at all..
Sadly
Zip
Ah yes the good old days when all we had to worry about was the threat of nuclear annihilation 100 times over, but if you hid under your desk at school all would be ok. I Guess all the lead paint and asbestos in the school would save us.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:05 PM

If you watch the footage of the arrest the guy does fake draws and claims he has a gun.

Even stranger though is the three people walking by nonchalantly in the back ground - like WTF

scroll down to the take-down vid here https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/live...strian-toronto

Yuen said one suspect was in custody, the van had been located and all available resources had been mobilized to investigate the situation. Sources told CTV’s Mercedes Stephenson that the suspect is Alek Minassian.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-23-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:30 PM

I can’t believe those three idiots that were feet away from the suspect while police guns were drawn. Are they that stupid?!?

Another spineless attack on innocent people.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 PM

Wow! That maniac wanted death by cop something fierce! He should have bought at least a replica pistol to wave around, now we have to pay for his permanent accommodations for however long that takes......
Old 04-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps.257 View Post
Ah yes the good old days when all we had to worry about was the threat of nuclear annihilation 100 times over, but if you hid under your desk at school all would be ok. I Guess all the lead paint and asbestos in the school would save us.
So in your mind these are the same?
I know the police officer who was involved in the Edmonton incident last year.
Many people in Toronto will know the victims of the incident in Toronto today.
Tell me Gramps, how many people to you know that were killed in nuclear wars in the 50's. I'm also from that time, and yes it was in the back of your mind (though realistically not that much in Canada)...but now one does know that some nutbar in a truck (or heaven forbid a gun) decides he's going to have his moment of fame.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM

There were a lot fewer mind altering prescription drugs available in the 1950's though the 1970's. All the time its medicate, medicate, medicate, not so much get out of your bsmt/den/dark hidey hole and get some blasted exercise.

A serious question comes to mind for me. How many, if any, mass killers have been well exercised, athletic people? Burn off that rage at the gym, on the rink, the pitch or in the woods folks. When you get there you'll wonder what that frustrated gobbledygook in your head was all about in the first place......
Old 04-23-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
There were a lot fewer mind altering prescription drugs available in the 1950's though the 1970's. All the time its medicate, medicate, medicate, not so much get out of your bsmt/den/dark hidey hole and get some blasted exercise.

A serious question comes to mind for me. How many, if any, mass killers have been well exercised, athletic people? Burn off that rage at the gym, on the rink, the pitch or in the woods folks. When you get there you'll wonder what that frustrated gobbledygook in your head was all about in the first place......
They also had government sponsored mental health institutions where people who posed a risk could be institutionalized and kept safe from their demons.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-23-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

I am sad and mad
Sad because of the innocent Canadians that lost there lives
Mad because Trutard, intentionally brings pieces of crap like this here, with these types of ideologies, gives them special treatment, enables them ( religious exemption, million dollar payouts, hold hands, sing cumbaya ) and some how thinks he can rehab rapists and murderers?
Trutard opened the dang flood gates!
Should have been him under that van!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Banned

Don’t take this the wrong way as this is a tragedy, without question. But I really do hope it turns out to be one of these “refugees” that our oh-so-gracious PM has let in. Maybe there will finally be some light she’d in Canada over this before we get as bad as England or Australia or Germany.

Obviously condolences go out to the families and we can only hope for a swift end to the justice side of this event.

Kudo’s to the cop for showing the restraint in not shooting him, but at the same time I kinda wish he did when he was challenged.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:04 PM

Death count has risen to 10. Utterly unnecessary and cruel. How do people come to a thought process where they not only rationalize killing total strangers but actually carry it out? This guy even utterly failed at suicide by cop, you have to be a loser of inconceivable magnitude to not get that right. (of course he already proved that, I'm just noting his other failings). I'm torn on this, I really wish he was killed in an extraordinarily painful manner, but I'm also kind of happy that he failed at something he was wanting to achieve.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 PM

Sad event today.

And lots of crap posts as usual!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Retard was also a legit medical term for how many years? Soon mentally ill or intellectual disability as the term is these days will be offensive. Political correctness is to blame as people get their feelings hurt over every little thing they don't like.
I don't really have any problems with people using the word. In this instance though, I do have a problem with it because in all likelihood it was not a person with severe mental disability who committed the act of violence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I am sad and mad
Sad because of the innocent Canadians that lost there lives
Mad because Trutard, intentionally brings pieces of crap like this here, with these types of ideologies, gives them special treatment, enables them ( religious exemption, million dollar payouts, hold hands, sing cumbaya ) and some how thinks he can rehab rapists and murderers?
Trutard opened the dang flood gates!
Should have been him under that van!
Do you even know anything about the guy? Alek Minassian sounds like an Armenian to me. How many Armenians do you know who belong to the religion you refer to as "them"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Don’t take this the wrong way as this is a tragedy, without question. But I really do hope it turns out to be one of these “refugees” that our oh-so-gracious PM has let in. Maybe there will finally be some light she’d in Canada over this before we get as bad as England or Australia or Germany.

Obviously condolences go out to the families and we can only hope for a swift end to the justice side of this event.

Kudo’s to the cop for showing the restraint in not shooting him, but at the same time I kinda wish he did when he was challenged.
Doubt it is a smart thing to wish for no matter what the circumstances are. Hope it was an isolated act committed by a random person with mental problems or something similar.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post

What other way is for us to take your “hope” but the wrong way? Should be ashamed of yourself and if you really believe in consequences ... give yourself a two month self imposed suspension!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Doubt it is a smart thing to wish for no matter what the circumstances are. Hope it was an isolated act committed by a random person with mental problems or something similar.
I hope it’s isolated as well. I’m just sick of “mental problems” being the scapegoat. Holding people responsible for their actions is what’s needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
What other way is for us to take your “hope” but the wrong way? Should be ashamed of yourself and if you really believe in consequences ... give yourself a two month self imposed suspension!
You have a problem with my opinion, I get that. ASI said before, this is something that should never happen and it’s sick to see it here, or anywhere. If you actually comprehend what I said, it stems down to a better vetting system rather than the almost open border policy that the current federal Liberals want. Nothing insulating or beyond truth in my statements. I respect your opinion, please respect mine without the insulting.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 PM

Global News states that fortunately, no guns were fired (when the officer had his pistol out) or more people could have been hurt....this tragedy was done with a vehicle and they still had to get their gun message out.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:12 PM

Regardless of who the murderer is or why he did this doesn't change the fact that many innocent people lost their lives. I just hope that the individual responsible is held accountable for his actions. I also hope that the murderer does not turn out to be an ISIS member that was welcomed back into our country.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

following WWII there was a massive epidemic of morphine>heroin abuse by those veterans who came home and crime in larger urban settings stateside skyrocketed. then the US had Korea and Vietnam (lsd).

this fellow was enamored by some mass killer stateside who felt he was not being noticed by women.

on a related note, social media is causing a type of social ineptitude (will find article later) and it may/might be likely that a frequency of keyboard warriors will creep out from moms basement to test their fury in real world more often.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Regardless of who the murderer is or why he did this doesn't change the fact that many innocent people lost their lives. I just hope that the individual responsible is held accountable for his actions. I also hope that the murderer does not turn out to be an ISIS member that was welcomed back into our country.
I hope he is ISIS( I am NOT saying that I want to see other ISIS returnees start doing this crap, but hopefully the authorities would round-up the rest of them).This country needs a wake-up call ...BADLY!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So in your mind these are the same?
I know the police officer who was involved in the Edmonton incident last year.
Many people in Toronto will know the victims of the incident in Toronto today.
Tell me Gramps, how many people to you know that were killed in nuclear wars in the 50's. I'm also from that time, and yes it was in the back of your mind (though realistically not that much in Canada)...but now one does know that some nutbar in a truck (or heaven forbid a gun) decides he's going to have his moment of fame.
Please show me where i said its the same? Anyway assume way as i have no interest to get into a AO ****ing match.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post

Do you even know anything about the guy? Alek Minassian sounds like an Armenian to me. How many Armenians do you know who belong to the religion you refer to as "them"?
Sounding like its Armenian does not mean that it is. A google of the name brought up one website noting that it was most prevalent in Lebanon as far as % of the populations names go. I'm not saying that he is from Lebanon, but its a heck of a lot more that 'sounds like its from so-and-so land'. That being said, it seems potentially less relevant anyways as it might not even be religiously motivated, so far its sounding like he was very lonely and excessively angry about it based on his social media posts to that effect.