Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Default Son got his learners...Now what?

Hey all,

So my Son just got his learners this past weekend and am looking at what some of you did to start teaching your kid's to drive. He has driven in the past on our farm and occasionally on and off the ice while fishing. I can't remember exactly how I jumped in a vehicle and started driving...LOL.

I will start out with him driving in a parking lot but once we get on the road, I no longer have a gas pedal and brake to ensure nothing goes wrong....

Really, I am just feeling you all out for some ideas to ease the tension
Old 04-23-2018, 01:11 PM

I'm a year or so away from this, but although I plan to take them out driving like you, I'm also planning to sign them up for some formal lessons. I've discovered that they will take information and 'suggestions' better from a non-parent. Plus - even though I consider myself a good driver (don't we all?) - I'm sure I've picked up some bad habits over the year that I should not pass on to my kids.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned

Also enrolling them in AMA courses usually gets you a discount on their insurance.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:12 PM

I have one just got his full license and one coming up soon to get his learners. Stay in a quiet neighborhood or at least a familiar area and go around and around the block. Be ready to give instructions ahead of time in a friendly tone of voice. Like - prepare to stop,
Keep your outings short helps the stress for both you and the learner 15-30 minutes
Good luck

Last edited by doublehaul; 04-23-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM

Gave my son access to my old hunting Burbs 13 years ago when he turned 16 out in Turner Valley.

Thought it was going well until I saw a pic from a bush party a few years later where my truck was doing a nose stand in a creek embankment
Old 04-23-2018, 01:15 PM

You're on the right track. Start small. Parking lots, low traffic rural roads, small towns with stop signs or a few lights. Eventually, work your way up to a larger city if one is nearby.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:22 PM

Don't forget to get him educated on a manual transmission too!

I recall some of the best education in terms of how to drive on icy and snowy roads came in the form of 'stunting' in empty parking lots at night in the winter. These days one is more likely to get busted than in my day, but perhaps a reasonable parking lot for the activity can still be found. What some might call stunting also qualifies as safety training by getting one familiar with the physics of bad traction, momentum, steering into slides and just getting off the gas to re-establish control.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Great ideas suggested. Driving courses should be mandatory for new drivers.

If possible, like on an acreage, farm, or big empty parking lot make some pileon courses for the new driver to practice with. Watch Canada's Worst Driver TV show for some ideas.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Did that with my son, now my daughter finally got hers. I started my son out in the alley. We have a real long one. He would drive and park in our driveway.

Then he got to drive to the local soccer games a few blocks away. That was scary as he had to figure out his half of the half roadway when cars were parked on the curb lol.

Industrial areas in the evening are great as they can drive for a while and encounter stop & yield signs, 4 way stops etc. Not much traffic.

Then just ease them into main streets when you think they are ready.

My son also drove the truck and pulling the trailer with dads argo on it when on the back lease roads.

I am 50, I still remember the first time my dad said youre driving, we we going home on the highway. I was scared . When I did that to my son, I seen my wide eyes in him and knew exactly how my dad felt at the same time.

Take it slow and it will work out just fine. My daughter waited too long, now she has to learn on a stick shift

AMA course is tops.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 PM
Banned

If you think you worried about them when they were younger, you’re in for a rude awakening. Have fun!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Nothing to add! You've got some great advice here.
X2 on cabers suggested bad weather training.
See way too many cars in the weeds when winter starts simply because they never learned how to regain control when the lose traction.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:10 PM

Have them take the AMA course or something similar. The reduced insurance is worth it alone but you and your son may feel less stressed. I was much better behind the wheel with the instructor or mother than with my dad when I was learning. I remember going to empty parking lots with a stack of pylons to weave the car between the cones and also backing up without hitting them. Side streets are good for practicing on in the evenings. If i wasn't busy my mom would make me drive her around while running errands.
One last thing, make him change the tire at least once. There is nothing worse than a man who doesn't know how to change a tire. Like my 35 year old brother in law who has to call for help when he gets a flat.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-23-2018, 02:18 PM

As a little kid my son had a tractor with pedals and a little red wagon behind. He would back that wagon anywhere. When he got his learners he drove home from the city. Within weeks of getting his learners he was driving rush hour in Edmonton. Maybe it has something to do with growing up on the farm.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:27 PM
Banned

Count me in also in the teaching 'em how to drive in inclement conditions.
Finland...has very rigorous driving instruction...mandatory is 18 hours onroad with a mandatory slippery conditions component.
They also have the lowest accident rate in the world.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM

I took my daughter out driving in all kinds of weather around the subdivision, then downtown , then the airport .
parralel parking , teaching her how to deal with road conditions and read traffic, etc.
At the same time we got her enrolled in a good driving school as well.
My son basically went the same route but I know he was also four wheeling and riding with friends in their rigs as well !
Cat
Old 04-23-2018, 02:47 PM

Thumbs up

Slow and gentle around a little town with lots of stop and yield signs if possible to start. Learning where your wheels are on the highway is invaluable but just comes with practise. Hours and hours of it. I found that as my kids learned to watch for obstacles vehicles and pedestrians in a town they were much more aware as well on back roads and highways.
I remember my Dad's words when he did the same for me, ease to slow, easy to go, and when coming up over a blind hill on a gravel road make sure you are as far to the right as possible, there may be a combine coming the other way.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM

I have taught 4 or my kids to drive. In addition to all the good info and tips above, look at yourself as well and reflect on if you have the temperament and patience. If you get stressed, so do they and you can actually impede their learning to drive. If this is the case, AMA it until they have the basics.

Also keep in mind, like anything else, some people have an affinity for it more than others. One of my kids hit Deerfoot her second day driving at 14 and has 3 years of incident free driving in city and on highway - one of them likely will never drive much because she panics when anything random happens behind the wheel even though she is generally really chill.

Matt
Old 04-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Lots of good info already.
I remember I started just backing the cars out of the garage. Then graduated to driving them around to the front of the house.
Before I knew it, I was driving our family the last 10 or so miles to my uncles on gravel roads after the highway.
My sons 18 now and has 0 interest in getting his license. Has a learners and has driven us around to run errands. Started him off the way I started.
But he's quite content to use the bus.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Take him rallying. No problem!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyGRy7OmnDo
Old 04-23-2018, 04:40 PM

Valium.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:41 PM

My kids all took AMA and have done well but we have a tradition in the fall after harvest but before snow gets to deep. They take my beater pickup to our back 100 acre field and practice drifting and blowing doughnuts for a few hours. Reminds them how to countersteer and its better than the parking lots I used to screw around in.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM

Stay off the sidewalks !lol
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Take him rallying. No problem!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyGRy7OmnDo
Sweet
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Default Learners

Make sure he is well prepared for road rage, people have no patience for new drivers on today’s roads.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Sit back and enjoy getting chauffeur driven.

The Pit Boss began driving motor vehicles around age 12. At the farm, on the rifle range, getting the truck after goose shoots. He’d been driving quads, and dirt bikes since about age 8 or 9.

He got his learners one day after his 14th birthday.

He drove every time we went someplace, he drove his mom everywhere she wanted to go.

He took his drivers 2 days after his 16th birthday, passed it, and has been driving his own iron for 3.5years now.

Spend the time with your kid, teach them the stuff only the school of hard knocks covers, and make them get their own wheels, and insurance.(yes dear that means getting a job)

There are no absolutes
Old 04-23-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanks guys....I knew I could count on you for some very good ideas....

I had my wife look into AMA driving course to start but I believe they do not provide till 8 months before there 16th birthday, but I have not verified that on my own. Thanks Ken, I like your idea of taking him to a small town as Langdon would be a perfect place for him to drive around in a slower paced enviornment....We are in Calgary and any type of road is not suitable....

I also like the industrial area idea as at night there is very little traffic as well..Thanks for that suggestion as well.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Don't forget to get him educated on a manual transmission too!

I recall some of the best education in terms of how to drive on icy and snowy roads came in the form of 'stunting' in empty parking lots at night in the winter. These days one is more likely to get busted than in my day, but perhaps a reasonable parking lot for the activity can still be found. What some might call stunting also qualifies as safety training by getting one familiar with the physics of bad traction, momentum, steering into slides and just getting off the gas to re-establish control.
Did that with every car i owned . certainly not as much fun ( opps I mean educational ) once front-wheel drive vehicles came out .

And in both cases , having a smaller car with handbrake was best .

Actually my first car was a 73 Vega with a stick ...had to have a friend do the test drive , and then teach me about that damned third pedal . :-)

What we called " Drifting " back then was quite different , and didn't cost you a new set of tires every other month .
Old 04-23-2018, 05:38 PM

i highly recommend driver training and would stay away from the schools that advertise that they guarantee a pass on the drivers test . these schools teach kids what they need to know / do to pass the test . they dont focus on defensive driving .
Old 04-23-2018, 05:51 PM

I guess he can now be your chauffeur for fishing. A few few shore trips then the boat and you can teach him how to back down the ramp after we are launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Hey all,

So my Son just got his learners this past weekend and am looking at what some of you did to start teaching your kid's to drive. He has driven in the past on our farm and occasionally on and off the ice while fishing. I can't remember exactly how I jumped in a vehicle and started driving...LOL.

I will start out with him driving in a parking lot but once we get on the road, I no longer have a gas pedal and brake to ensure nothing goes wrong....

Really, I am just feeling you all out for some ideas to ease the tension
Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I guess he can now be your chauffeur for fishing. A few few shore trips then the boat and you can teach him how to back down the ramp after we are launched.
That is the plan Ken...LOL

Work smarter, not harder....when you have kids

I told him after our trip up to Slave lake ice fishing to visit Cory, his job was to clean the truck out and he did not dissapoint....Did a great job