Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Old Vehicle ID.

Pic is on the farm in Brunkild Manitoba in 1918.
My Grandfather is behind the wheel and was 16 years old at the time. His brother standing next to him.

Is anyone able to identify the vehicle?
Assuming Model T, but curious as to year.

Last edited by omega50; 04-23-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Excellent keepsake picture.

My guess... It looks like a 1917 Ford Model T 3 door 5 passenger touring car.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-23-2018, 01:46 PM

Cool pic!!, not too many cars on the road in those years.

IIRC the louvered hood came out in 1915.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 PM

I think it is a Chevy 470 or Baby grand
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 PM

Default 1915 & 1917 Model T's

Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Definitely a 1915. Great Picture. I would definitely frame it and protect it from direct sunlight. That one would be worth taking to someone like McBains to preserve and perhaps hang a copy for display.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 AM

Your Grandpa is dressed pretty fine for stoking bundles of Grain!!!

Rare to find anyone who even knows what I am talking about these days, but it was pure effort to cut and dry grain for a thresher in those days.

Only did it once as a kid. Was on a field of oats and Half the stokes I did fell over.

Drewski
Old 04-24-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Rare to find anyone who even knows what I am talking about these days, but it was pure effort to cut and dry grain for a thresher in those days.

Only did it once as a kid. Was on a field of oats and Half the stokes I did fell over.

Drewski
It sure was a hard way of life! My BIL has a binder, and he did one round of the wheat field with it. Hubby stacked the stooks and after they dried, we pitched them on the wagon for the threshing machine. It's interesting to see how that all works, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to do a whole quarter that way. Amazes me that farmers ever got the whole crop off, but back then, all the neighbors used to pitch in and help each other. A very different way of life, for sure.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Drewski
Turns out Grandpa had a real eye for the ladies. I never in real life saw him out of a suit. Married in 1929 Divorced my grandmother in 1937 when my Mom was 2 years old. He had a rather large string of live-in girlfriends until the day he died He came from a large family and was the only one that was shined up.

Because she was a single parent , my grandmother lived with us and raised us kids from 1953 to she died in the 80's.

My mother was super social, absolutely doted on her Dad and hosted family dinners every Sunday. I never understood the dynamic as a kid, but in retrospect Grandpa brought his women over for dinner every week , while my Grandmother cooked and cleaned for everyone.

Granny loved beer, and usually had straight Rye in her teacup. Her name was Ethel. My Dad teased her for that and nicknamed her Ethyl Alcohol.

As an adult I understand why she had a taste for some relief. Having her nose ground into his relationship status every week

I also inherited his Old Spice Cup and new in box Shaving Kit from England. Essential gear for his success with the ladies.

Last edited by omega50; 04-24-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Definitely a 1915. Great Picture. I would definitely frame it and protect it from direct sunlight. That one would be worth taking to someone like McBains to preserve and perhaps hang a copy for display.
The pics have been locked in Gramps old steamer trunk in the basement since 1974. Maybe been out for viewing 5 times in the last 40 years.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:59 PM

So Omega50,

You DO KNOW you just wrote the next Old Spice Commercial, RIGHT???

Drewski
Old 04-24-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I still think 1917. Maybe 1916. The 1915 model T's rear fenders were straighter and not so around the back of the tire. The pics from 15 to 17 show the difference in rear fenders.

Reference: http://www.american-automobiles.com/Ford/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915-Ford-Touring-Car.jpg (40.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1916-Ford-Touring.jpg (21.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1917-Ford-Touring-Car.jpg (20.3 KB, 18 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-24-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
So Omega50,

You DO KNOW you just wrote the next Old Spice Commercial, RIGHT???

Drewski
LMFAO - I may have peed a little on that one ...... omg still Laughing ...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Drewski
My first job was stooking 40 acres of wheat for a neighbor. I botched the job but dad restooked the whole field for me so that I would get paid.

I was too young at the time for doing the job, and dad sold his thresher and bought his first combine before I was old enough, but I have vivid memories of chasing the wagon as the men picked up bundles for the thresher. As they picked up the bundles mice would scatter and us younger kids had a blast catching the mice, for entertainment later.

I also remember spending hours watching the grain scale do it's thing. It was fascinating how it filled up, then dumped out the grain, tripping a bushel tally in the process. I also loved the sound of the straw blower.

I worked on restoring a 1917 Model T. There wasn't a lot of visible differences between the years from 1915 to 1917 so far as I know.

George Bernard Shaw