Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 07:39 AM

Default Snow goose chase was on

Covered two provinces over the last few days, sheet water and high gas prices in both, the first day was nothing but driving, we found birds at 1 min past light, so we could not make good judgment on the field ,it was corn. talked with farmer said they been there all day.355am lets get to it ,get out to field by 425 and said wow we only got a hr to set .take out atv and we did a run into field to find a dry hill, with in 5 min buddy goes thru a snow bank and gets stuck. that ate up about 15 min. so we only got into field about 100 yards and only set up 200 decoys, birds started to come into field so I took of to move the truck , started my walk back and here comes some, we tuc into the ditch and wait them out they had come off some sheet water in a field to the north, I raise up and drop a triple, the game is on .. the pup who is 11 months now ,and was in boot camp this month got them all with ease .,She broke into full heat this last week and is marking every rock and grass she smells.

we might have only had 150 birds come to field that morn but we shot ok.

looking for more fields and even the goat was looking for action. was quite vocal to the little female in heat.

we did some pass shooting and getting a shoot for morning..

Best field was about 2000 birds in it , but only 100 came in the next day.

url=https://postimg.cc/image/j3umxr2ev/][/url]

OH THE MUD.. top half inch was muck and could not get a decoy stake into frozen ground without some heavy pushing

Seemed we had a head WIND everywhere we went. the best tank of gas was 34.5lt per 100 , gas was from 1.14and as high as 1.28..yesterday was a joke,,hard to put a $110.00 bucks in fuel and look down and it says you can go 233 km before empty..... Cant wait for next weekend.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 04-22-2018, 07:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Can you say holy dedication to the hunt, good on ya but man the old bank account sure took a beating...prarie gumbo sure is a pain the butt too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2018, 10:13 AM

freaking awesome is right, this is called dedication and have to be honest, one has to be a little whacked as any of us who chase these white bastards, you have to be a little off when you look at the amount of gear and WORK involved. sherpas are a good thing and man chasing these snows can be very addicting lol

that poor new trailer LOL!!! bet some of those new dekes look like juvies now Oh god I hate mud lol, sure the car wash loved you. Congrats and looks like your all warmed up for the next outing soon Hope to be in the saddle later this week. Way to go Autumn, awesome pup!!!!
Old 04-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Deadly write-up! Kinda hard to even comment on. When one thinks of all that went into that, it sorta takes your breath away. All I can say is that Autumn landed in the home of a lifetime. She's a beauty.

PS: Don't tell the Mrs what you spent. She will want you to take up agility competitions with Autumn instead.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Great story and sounds like a great hunt!
Now the only question I have is this: what are you going to do with all these birds?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 PM

I'm giving it a week to warm up and then I am back at it and might go looking for a shoot. They should start getting further north by then I hope
Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I'm giving it a week to warm up and then I am back at it and might go looking for a shoot. They should start getting further north by then I hope
They were heading north, all but two we shot were adults, the birds that flew ove,r us was amazing ...snows, canadas ,specs cranes , pelicans, they will push thru that snow line.....but its to be 24c here next week.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 PM

Default Snow geese chase

Wow, great story. Beautiful pup. I’ve never seen a snow with that many warts on his sniffer before. Cool.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 AM

Thumbs up keep your dekes clean....

Looks like fun !!

I was in a spread on Saturday...too windy for migration. Things were slow.

Hint ****

Get a 20-30 foot tow rope and pull that sled way behind your ATV.....Keeps the mud off everything in the sled !!!! It Works !!