Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Default Duck Lake and Surrounding Lakes, Montana

Has anyone been fishing on the Blackfeet Reserve that would be able to provide any insight for planning the logistics of such a trip? I'm looking at heading down that way this spring and am thinking of staying on the Alberta side and driving down each day.

I've heard bad things about Browning, how bad is it to drive through / go to the nearby gear inspection station / purchase a license there? Would a guy be safe making such a trip on his own to the area? (Would not be looking for trouble at all, just hoping to go down and catch some big trout)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:34 AM

I have never had any issues. The problem with staying in Cardston is the border crossing does not open till 7 and you cannot get fishing before about 8:30 I have stayed in East Glacier you can buy your license at the campground on the way up to the lake or I think they sell them at the farm implement dealer on the west side of Cardston.

You should know it is not the fishery it used to be. Still decent but the days of those nice 5plus pounders seems to have slipped away
Old 04-21-2018, 10:44 AM

Stay in Cut Bank, MT and fish Mission, Kipp and Four Horns. I agree that the fishing in Duck isn’t what it once was and Duck is a fair drive from Cut Bank. As an alternative you could stay in the Duck Lake Lodge (google it). An interesting place but definitely not 5 star. You can buy your Blackfoot fishing license online. Good luck!