Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Archery Hunting Advice

Hoping to get a bit of advice for the 2018 hunting season. I plan on getting more serious about bow hunting and specifically spot and stalk. I have done a small amount of archery hunting from a ground blind in the past, but I tend to want to move around and glass. Just enjoy spot and stalk more than sitting. My past rifle hunting has been a bit of spot and stalk, sitting, and still hunting.

Any thoughts on species to target/not target early on in my spot & stalk bow hunting career? I was thinking antlerless mule deer and maybe spring black bear for 2018. I am located up in the peace country and don't have much priority built up for any species. New to the region and have some scouting spots picked out for the spring/summer.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

Mule deer, that's what I got my boy started on and he got a nice 4x4 buck his first year. We did a 600yd + stalk on a couple buck over about 1-1/2hrs, it might be my most memorable hunts to date.

Elk hunting in the rut might be my most favorite hunts there is, just don't be scared to get off the beaten trail and go after them.

Carry a compass and ALWAYS keep the wind in your face.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:32 PM

dont Limit yourself to just one species. Grab an elk and a moose tag and get out for a walk. I hunt the peace region as well and there are tons of elk there and tons of moose as well.

Elk in my opinion are the hardest to hunt with the exception of the rut. They are ghosts even if you know they are all around you. The best hunt there is however.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:31 PM

i agree pick up every tag you can you never know what you'll see out there. that being said i would choose the species you're most familiar with as your primary target. i wasted a lot of time my first year archery hunting bouncing back and forth from elk to moose to WT back to elk. the next year i focused only on elk and had a lot more success. invest some serious time scouting and hanging trail cameras as fun as spot and stock is its bloody hard up here in the peace country there's not many glassing points and most of time you're looking down cutlines or over grown pipelines. in my opinion you're better off trying to call, rake, or rattle in animals. get yourself 2-3 wind check bottles and pin a cloths pin to your jacket or binoharness you'll need it to clean out the wind check bottle nozzle if it gets wet. as a bow hunter you will live and die by the wind you'll be frustrated to no end by it but man when it all goes right its worth it