Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 01:59 PM

Default Best New SUV, and why

In the market for a new suv
Just wondering which is the best and why.

Please do not bash the others...just looking for the best in your opinion

Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Banned

V12 Bentley Benteyga is the only thing which works for my needs.
What's your budget, what is the intended use for the vehicle?
Old 12-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Suburban because tony soprano said so!!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
V12 Bentley Benteyga is the only thing which works for my needs.
What's your budget, what is the intended use for the vehicle?
Huh, I thought that Urus I saw was yours, guess not.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:13 PM

I think your question is a bit too broad...SUVs come with seating from 5-8, how many do you need? What is budget? And so on. A bit more information from you and I'm sure the helpful crew here will be happy to inundate you with their brand favorite and why.

Myself, I really like the Porsche Macan GTS....but not ready to pony up for one just yet!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-30-2017, 03:19 PM

Some context would be nice. What are you using it for and who/what do you need to haul? When we bought the wife an SUV it was an Acura MDX and we both liked it better then the BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus. All of those brands were miles ahead of the vw, chev, Chrysler, Honda, Nissan and toyotas we drove. Then we had a third kid and she wanted a mini van. I argued a seven seater SUV was big enough for three kids, my parents managed five kids in a station wagon but I lost that battle.
For a pair of empty nesters or a couple kids and strictly highway use I would still say the MDX is the nicest SUV on the market but if I was using it on the farm or for a hunting buggy it would be my last choice.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:52 PM

When I was younger the old man really liked the Chevy Tahoe/suburban suv’s. Lots of room and a good amount of power. When kids come into the picture for me I wouldn’t hesitate to look into buying one.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:55 PM

I really like my suburban.
If you just want to move children and their accessories around, a mini van is probably handier, but the suburban can also pull the holiday trailer.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:58 PM

Got myself a Jeep Cherokee last January. Turns out to be much better then I was expecting. Comfortable, enough room for my needs, tows a decently loaded trailer, fuel mileage has been calculated since new and I actually get a better combined mileage then the window sticker advertised. Still have yet to figure out what 9th gear in the transmission is for since it never indicates that it gets used. The 4x4 snow mode is a beast with winter tires, heated seats and steering wheel are a nice cherry on top. I do not care for how the window defrost works in the winter as it seems the drivers and passenger windows are always foggy except right where you look at the side mirrors. I also don’t care for the touch screen connect system but that’s what everyone is going to so I gues I’ll learn to like it. Other than that I love the thing.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:01 PM

I really like the Infiniti QX80 but I also like the Audi SQ5. Two completely different animals though. As previously mentioned, more information is required. Expectations, budget, etc..
Old 12-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Hey, which version of Cherokee did you buy? Was it new? Which engine is in it?
Old 12-30-2017, 08:46 PM

Assuming we are keeping it somewhat reasonable, my favored SUVs on the market right now are:

-Mazda CX-5;
-F-Pace; and,
-Audi Q5.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Big fan of Honda. CRV or Pilot. Why . They simply work, dependability and great resale. I own everything Honda to a fault. 3 vehicles, quad,generator, water pump, pressure washer, weed wacker and others. I think i have over 400k on my 07 ridgeline with half that mileage on back roads or places i shouldn’t be. Done literally nothing to it except tires, brakes and fluids religiously. Best winter vehicle i have ever driven. Will drive it till it drops and not anytime soon. Wife luvs her CRV. Talked the in laws on a CRV, they just picked one up today. Have to say lots of upgrades in past 8 years. Now my wife wants a new one with the turbo and technology. Urghhhh

Lots of great vehicles out there. Depends on needs and price point. Pa of 6 I’m guessing large family. Pilot 8 seater. Will say the new model looks is not as appealing. For that matter most of the suvs look all the same now lol
Old 12-30-2017, 09:12 PM

Default Honda

Wife has a 2013 CRV. Great vehicle. Has needed nothing except gas and fluids.

Know many, many people with Honda Ridgelines, Pilots, and CRVs. NEVER heard anyone regret buying theirs.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Hey, which version of Cherokee did you buy? Was it new? Which engine is in it?
I got a Cherokee Sport with the Altitude package. I went with the v6 as I don't believe in 4 bangers unless your in a smaller car. Combined I average 24.4mpg where window sticker says 23mpg combined. Not bad, I've calculated it from all my fill ups through the first 16000 miles.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

I almost purchased a Lexus RX but I just couldn’t get over the front end, it’s fugly. Besides that it didn’t quite fit my style. The wife had a rav 4 and I loved ripping the tires off of it, the rx is basically a rav on roids. It was just that front end.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:26 PM

After tbree years, my Santa Fe XL hasn't given me any problems, but if I was to replace it, I would go with a Highlander.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:15 PM

My wife is on her second Jeep Grande Cherokee, she loves them. The ride is nice even on gravel , she has 12 miles of gravel ever day for work. V6 is good on fuel and lots of power. Its a limited so the inside has all the comfy features and comfortable for 4 adults and still lots of storage behind.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Huh, I thought that Urus I saw was yours, guess not.
Lol, I'd rather gold plate my Dodge W250 than buy either a Bentley or a Lambo, unless it was a Lamborghini tractor.
Since the OP hasn't responded to anyones' queries I'll nominate a Landcruiser FJ 40 with a 4bt Cummins in it.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
After tbree years, my Santa Fe XL hasn't given me any problems, but if I was to replace it, I would go with a Highlander.
I was going to add to my post on Hondas that Toyotas are equally good.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 AM

Our Buick Enclave has been a good unit for my wife. Bought a mint 2011 CXL2 model with 50K as they come with 4yr/80k warranty. Same wheelbase as a Tahoe/Yukon just smaller volume space wise and smaller motor.

I grew up with parents driving suburbans and want one but my wife doesn’t want to drive the bigger unit.

Will be looking in the new year again . Buick on the list again but going to look at a Lexus LX570 (the wife wants the look at something different)but no local dealer in northern Alberta...closest is Edmonton so that may play a factor.
Would like to see Cadillac with a 7 seater like th Buick Enclave size.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 AM

Currently own an 07 pathfinder.... terrible gas milage but has nothing but pep.... ( probably why the gas milage is terrible) Gets equivalent gas milage to my diesel if not better when hauling the same boat. Have owned 2 GMC Acadia ....loved them unfortunately the second one didn't have the hauling capacity or AWD that we wanted and then had a engine problem that they couldn't resolve. With all that being said.... the next one will be a Jeep Grand Cherokee ( Diesel ) great towing great gas milage ... nice fit and finish
Old 12-31-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Big fan of Honda. CRV or Pilot. Why . They simply work, dependability and great resale. I own everything Honda to a fault. 3 vehicles, quad,generator, water pump, pressure washer, weed wacker and others. I think i have over 400k on my 07 ridgeline with half that mileage on back roads or places i shouldn’t be. Done literally nothing to it except tires, brakes and fluids religiously. Best winter vehicle i have ever driven. Will drive it till it drops and not anytime soon. Wife luvs her CRV. Talked the in laws on a CRV, they just picked one up today. Have to say lots of upgrades in past 8 years. Now my wife wants a new one with the turbo and technology. Urghhhh

Lots of great vehicles out there. Depends on needs and price point. Pa of 6 I’m guessing large family. Pilot 8 seater. Will say the new model looks is not as appealing. For that matter most of the suvs look all the same now lol

Lots of great vehicles now, but not for off road. Over the years I’ve had a few SUVs. Ironically my two Saab’s (hatchbacks) where closer to being SUVs than some of the so called SUVs I’ve had.

We’ve had an ‘02 Odyssey, ‘05 Pilot and ‘08 CrV (all pretty much loaded). They were ok but no more reliable than most of our other vehicles. Less reliable than my Saab’s!!!

The Odyssey which my wife usually drove went through 3 trannies in 80,000 km!!! Horrible seats too. Drove it from Edmonton to Snohomish one day and couldn’t walk for three days. Amazing rear load capacity.

Neither the Pilot or CrV were great winter vehicles either. My current Subaru Tribeca (bought used) is a far better winter vehicle. Equal to the Honda’s for reliability.

Some of my vehicle history:

Had an old 80s suburban. Horrible vehicle. Good for hauling plywood and crap. Not good for much else.

1990 4Runner - also horrible. No power, springs sagged after a camping trip to Alaska, etc. Temporarily bent the hitch and rear frame pulling rocks and a couple small boathouses at the lake, but it could pull quite well though it had a rather useless 2,000lb or so limit for trailers. Ok when got off the road. Horrible on the road.

1997 pathfinder. Ok but poor starter due to crappy throttle body injection.

2002 Excursion v10. Crappy all around but does the job. The oddyssey was better for hauling bulky loads but the Excursion can handle a ton of lumber in the back. A couple months back had it literally stacked to the ceiling and out the back with heavy wet and long PT lumber and it hauled it without a problem. (Giving it to a friend and reserving borrowing rights, but have had to spend $2+k just to fix it up for him. Horribly unreliable for just around 120,000 km. Only put roughly 3,000km/yr on it over last 10 yrs. mostly just towing a 32 trailer. So front end etc. should have held up better.)

2014 Touareg (current wife’s car is top end TDI/Exec/R-Line) - amazing range, love it for that. Mediocre at handling. Our Subaru is far nicer driver and better handling.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 12-31-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

I'll through down another vote for the Cherokee. We got a 2008 limited edition with a diesel in it. Power for days and I've taken it some pretty radical places in the bush. We plan on getting something bigger soon because it's small one space with 2 kids and a dog plus all the required gear but ill be keeping it and upgrading the suspension for a bush wagon.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:08 AM

Had a v6 grand Cherokee, was awesome. Needed more room when we had kids, bought a Ford Expedition. Still running it 10 years later, no probs with it. Great vehicle. Super comfy and Decent on fuel.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I'll through down another vote for the Cherokee. We got a 2008 limited edition with a diesel in it. Power for days and I've taken it some pretty radical places in the bush. We plan on getting something bigger soon because it's small one space with 2 kids and a dog plus all the required gear but ill be keeping it and upgrading the suspension for a bush wagon.
I’ve heard great things about the diesel. Wasn’t it a Mercedes engine?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

Yeah Mercedes 3.0L. Unreal low end grunt. I got a hot tune for it after blowing out the swirl valve motor. This thing will eat hemis for lunch. The awd system is unreal and 4 low will take you places you probably shouldn't be lol
Old 12-31-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
Had a v6 grand Cherokee, was awesome. Needed more room when we had kids, bought a Ford Expedition. Still running it 10 years later, no probs with it. Great vehicle. Super comfy and Decent on fuel.
The Expedition has been good????

I bought the Excursion as a tow vehicle but found that the extra two cylinders were just enough to handle the outrageous weight of the thing- leaving nothing more for towing, even just our “super light” trailer. (3.73 gearing didn’t help.)

I’ve thought that the Expedition being lighter might have a better power/weight ratio should we need to start towing again.

All being well I won’t get our Excursion back (friend is fighting cancer and we’re hopeful he’ll long outlive the truck.) However, even though it’s a phone call away, over the past few months I’ve sure missed the convenience of having a truck at the ready in the yard for picking up deals. Missed 70% off culled lumber I could have used and so ended up spending $1k more than I’d needed to.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Jeep Grand Cherokee by far the number one SUV. It set the standard almost 30 years ago that all the others are trying hard to emulate.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Yeah Mercedes 3.0L. Unreal low end grunt. I got a hot tune for it after blowing out the swirl valve motor. This thing will eat hemis for lunch. The awd system is unreal and 4 low will take you places you probably shouldn't be lol
Prior to getting the Touareg TDI I’d only driven a couple diesel cars in Europe but loved them.

Having one now is sooo nice for trips. The range is amazing. Plus the fact that it can tow something like 7,500 lbs means I can go to the ‘resort’ where we have thd trailer now and pull out it out of storage and put it on a site. There’s no way I’d pull a long trailer with small SUV though.

My big complaint with our old Honda CR-V and the current Subaru Tribeca is the pitiful range. I’m constantly having to stop and fill. So a diesel is on my wish list for a daily driver. Too bad VW has screwed it for everyone!