Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Default Whos got the edge this year?

Alright bow hunters,

What are you shooting now and is there anything that is coming that will change your mind?

Lets hear from all the Bow hunters on your to picks for bows and if anything exciting is coming your way. Which companies hit it out of the park and which ones dropped the ball.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:40 AM

I think that if you were to try a top of the line bow from any manufacturer these days, they all generally perform the same. You need to decide what it is that you’re looking for out of your bow. Everyone always says that the way it fits you, is the most important factor. However, I’m quite partial to hoyt bows. Mainly because of their rigorous testing, and their warranty. I’m looking at Bowtech this year as well, based on price comparison. With their new solid limbs that are made in house, there shouldn’t be any problems with limb failure. The only thing I don’t like about the new realm is the fact that it has all those extra threaded holes for accessories. The hoyt hyperforce looks like a great bow as well, probably be my next bow, unless I can come across extra cash to buy the redwrx RX-1.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM

There hasn't been anything significant in the last 5 years. IBO 330 + or -, around 4 lbs, carbon or aluminum, ATA 28-32" etc. Most new bows are tweaks on current tech. My money would be on Hoyt to bring out the next big innovation, but it's not here yet. It's pretty well established that you can't really go much lighter or longer and still be universally effective.

Until I see something that is going to make a difference on game, I'll put my money into scouting.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 PM

5yr old APA, might upgrade in a couple years.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Until I see something that is going to make a difference on game, I'll put my money into scouting.
agreed. the industry is at a bit of a plateau at the moment. ...maybe some changes in arrow technology.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Hoyt currently owns the "true" carbon market, with PSE making strides.

Outside of that there is lots of choices in aluminum risers, it's a matter of finding the bownthat picks you. The Reign and Realm offering from Bowtech are quite nice, loaded with features. The new modular Bowtech grip is a winner IMHO.

LC
Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 PM

i ordered a hoyt hyperforce i cant wait for it to come in and i can play around with it. i shot the redwrx and love the draw and hold on the new cams the re positioning of the grip does make a difference to how the bow feels. its really well balanced it came down to the halon 32 and the hyperforce for me both felt great, very quit, and dead in the hand but in the end i went with the better string angle and lighter hoyt. i decided to go with aluminum over carbon from some of the damage my old bow soaked up i'm pretty sure would have cracked or broken had it been a carbon riser. i was really hoping for a halon 34 but they went the other direction with the triax
Old 01-03-2018, 10:30 PM

I was a Bowtech guy I picked up the Assassin when it first came out and loved it. But just recently I bought a high end bow and absolutely enjoy shooting my new Obsession Defcon m6,trophy ridge IQ sight, qad hdx drop away rest and some other goodies. Ibo 356 with the right arrow you can come really close to ibo. Draw cycle is so smooth for a speed bow with actually just under 6” brace height not very many negative reviews on these machines compared to some of the others. I wish I would have picked up a machine like this before but they were way outside my budget.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:01 AM

I am in the middle of trading my hoyt spyder 30 for a hoyt nitrum 34. I wanted a similar bow to my spyder with a longer ata. This nitrum should fit the bill for me.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 PM

I picked up a Hoyt carbon element last year and after having my Martin phantom II for seemed like ever I am very happy with it. I shot lots of bows trying to find the one for me but every hoyt i shot I was very happy with.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM

If you listen or read reviews and posts on "Archery Talk" the current front runner for bow of the year is the Matthews Triax. Of course the ATA show hasn't happened yet so something new may knock it off the top of the hill.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 PM

I would personally stick to Elite or consider a Prime but when it came down to bows for draw lengths of 32-33" The Elite Victory was hands down the best fitting smoothest drawing for me personally.

Id Like to have the option to shoot more than just a couple bows at those draw lengths but for now Elite it is.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:27 PM

I've been shopping for a new bow to replace or add to my Prime Rize. Shot all 4 of the new Hoyt hunting bows, Bowtech RealmX, Prime Centergy and Logic. If I did not already have a smooth and quiet 33 inch 335 IBO hunting bow the Centergy or RealmX would take my money. That RealmX was fantastic and if it wasnt for the HUGE, long axel yokes sticking out of the side of the limbs i would have bought one. Prime Centergy gets my vote, but its too close to my current bow to justify the purchase. The Rx1"s look super cool but are not better than the competition IMO. Triax felt like a slingshot in my hand...pretty cool but i didnt shoot it. One more year with the Rize!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM

Shot the new Triax and gotta say it was awesome. Very dead in the hand, stupid quiet and a very smooth draw cycle. This was bare bow with just a sight, no stabilizer. Very impressive with just a small design change to the position of the harmonic stabilizer on what is essentially a short Halon. The 28" ata will be great for tree stand and blind hunters. If you haven't had the chance definitely go and shoot one. It will surprise you.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
There hasn't been anything significant in the last 5 years. IBO 330 + or -, around 4 lbs, carbon or aluminum, ATA 28-32" etc. Most new bows are tweaks on current tech. My money would be on Hoyt to bring out the next big innovation, but it's not here yet. It's pretty well established that you can't really go much lighter or longer and still be universally effective.

That's my theory for the last 25 years of bow hunting, upgraded arrows, broad heads, whisker biscuit, better sights, went to a release but as for the bow...30 yards or less...dead is dead but if a limb was to ever break wow off I go to get one of those super light, super fast set ups....son runs Hoyt and well,it's night and day between bows but dead is dead and the game don't know the difference.

On another note are the bows made nowadays to,run maybe 5-10 years then wear out to the point a rep event is required?
I replace strings but that is it on my bow....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That's my theory for the last 25 years of bow hunting, upgraded arrows, broad heads, whisker biscuit, better sights, went to a release but as for the bow...30 yards or less...dead is dead but if a limb was to ever break wow off I go to get one of those super light, super fast set ups....son runs Hoyt and well,it's night and day between bows but dead is dead and the game don't know the difference.

On another note are the bows made nowadays to,run maybe 5-10 years then wear out to the point a rep event is required?
I replace strings but that is it on my bow....
I don't think so, but we haven't had them long enough. Older, slower, (therefore theoretically more durable) bows are still in use. The current "type" is around 5 years old and outside of blowtechs well publicised issues, there hasn't been any widespread concerns that I've heard of.

Strings wear out. Limbs sometimes crack. Aside from physical damage to cams or risers, there's not much else...The bearings in the rest of the bow should never wear out, unless there was a bad batch.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Funny that people bash Bowtech bows...craziest "explosion" I have seen was on a last year new Hoyt, top and bottom limbs failed at full draw and the axles came out of where the limbs split..

The limb literally shot into the target butt, 18m away and pieces everywhere.

As far as limbs, I have seen 3 Mathews splinter, 2 Hoyts, and 2 PSE. Personally only limb issues I had were with a HCA, 2 sets of them.

I have seen one Bowtech delaminate. Now they have a new limb process and a solid limb. Since that process was implemented inhouse (mid to late 2016) they haven't had any limb issues.

Go to any shop ALL manufacturers have an issue or two from time to time.

LC
Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Funny that people bash Bowtech bows...craziest "explosion" I have seen was on a last year new Hoyt, top and bottom limbs failed at full draw and the axles came out of where the limbs split..

As far as limbs, I have seen 3 Mathews splinter, 2 Hoyts, and 2 PSE. Personally only limb issues I had were with a HCA, 2 sets of them.

I have seen one Bowtech delaminate. Now they have a new limb process and a solid limb. Since that process was implemented inhouse (mid to late 2016) they haven't had any limb issues.

LC
You’re right Lefty!! It’s the same in any industry. Not all defects will get caught by quality control. Material handling during shipment and other factors could also compromise the integrity of a product. Every company ends up with a lemon now and then. Buy what you like, and let others do the same.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
...... GOT ONE !!!

I gotta check the parking lot to make sure he's not in jimbows whenever I go there, don't want to end up with a body piercing
Old 02-10-2018, 11:24 PM

i finally got my Hoyt Hyperforce in the other day and got it all set up i've run about 100 arrows through it and gotta say i really like this bow the draw is smooth and the hold is fantastic,solid back wall and 85% let off make holding on target super easy i didn't notice much pin floating while holding. the new grip is very comfortable and fits perfectly into my hand every time. the release is nice but there is some vibration in the hand during the shot not nearly as vibration free as the Halon 32 i shot. all in all i am very pleased with the Hyperforce i was very happy at how well balanced it feels right out of the box. things i don't like would be hand vibration and the ridiculous wait times it took 12 weeks to get this bow in
i haven't shot the triax. for me it would be really hard not to buy a halon 32 if i had to go back and order again i cant get over how well that bow felt to shoot
Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 AM

a friend of mine has been shooting the new hoyt redwrx for about a month now and had to take his bow in for warranty the other day because the threads on his bow string are starting to separate. still waiting to hear from hoyt if they will warranty it or not. not sure if this is a one of experience or maybe hoyt is having some quality control issues with the new strings.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Banned

That’s the first I’m hearing of it. That’s not your typical Hoyt quality.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Banned

I've seen it happen before on my old rampage **** happens doesn't mean it's a quality control either any thing can happen
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBowman View Post
a friend of mine has been shooting the new hoyt redwrx for about a month now and had to take his bow in for warranty the other day because the threads on his bow string are starting to separate. still waiting to hear from hoyt if they will warranty it or not. not sure if this is a one of experience or maybe hoyt is having some quality control issues with the new strings.
Do you mean the serving is separating?