Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Remington Baikal

Almost sounds like an oxymoron, when you think about, but I was in The Sportsman's Den, in Red Deer, [Help wanted, by the way,] and I spotted two single shot rifles , hanging on the wall. They looked like someone took the old Russian single shot, Baikal shotgun and grafted a rifle barrel onto it. Remington markings, on the receiver. They looked like pretty well made pieces of artillery, with some downright fancy wood in the stocks. One appeared to have a hammered or contoured barrel as well. Very reasonably priced too. Too bad the wife was in the truck, waiting for me. Is this what the icon of American gun making, with 150 years of history, behind it has come to?
Grizz
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 PM

I'm not sure ... are you talkin' about the Remington SBR18? ...

Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Almost sounds like an oxymoron, when you think about, but I was in The Sportsman's Den, in Red Deer, [Help wanted, by the way,] and I spotted two single shot rifles , hanging on the wall. They looked like someone took the old Russian single shot, Baikal shotgun and grafted a rifle barrel onto it. Remington markings, on the receiver. They looked like pretty well made pieces of artillery, with some downright fancy wood in the stocks. One appeared to have a hammered or contoured barrel as well. Very reasonably priced too. Too bad the wife was in the truck, waiting for me. Is this what the icon of American gun making, with 150 years of history, behind it has come to?
Grizz
Remington Spartans, for sure!

Cat
Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Gone Hunting

At one time there was a side by side double under that brand. I always thought one in 45/70 would be fun to carry in the willows in moose calling season. Then I heard they were having trouble with that action with 45/70 pressure. It also came in 30/06 and a couple other cartridges.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
At one time there was a side by side double under that brand. I always thought one in 45/70 would be fun to carry in the willows in moose calling season. Then I heard they were having trouble with that action with 45/70 pressure. It also came in 30/06 and a couple other cartridges.
The action was not the problem, the problem is with the two different factories building OEM for Remington.
from what I have been told we will never see a 47/70 SxS with the Remington name on it hit our shores - catalog, yup, actual run , NOPE.
Cat