Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Default 45/70

you guys that shoot this cal. do you handload or buy factory? If you buy what are your preferences?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM

What rifle are you shooting? That'll make a big difference on what type of ammo you can shoot in it.

I say handload for it, no matter what type f rifle you're using. You just can't load near as hot with certain types of rifles.

Eric
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM

The only factory ammo i have used were the federal 300 gr speer hp they shot good no problems would like to try the new hornadys. waiting to get some brass inventory to start some reloads
Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM

I handload for this caliber now because you can do so much more than what is available in factory loadings, but for factory stuff the Remington 405gr, Federal 300gr and Hornady 325gr Leverevolutions all worked well in my gun... just depends what you want to use it for.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Your 45-70 will never reach its potential unless you reload.

Factory ammo is anemic compared to what you can do with reloading.

The reason they are "anemic" is because there are many old 45-70's in the hands of shooters that do not have strong enough actions to handle a hot load due to their age and method of construction. Therefore, factory ammo is toned down to accomodate these firearms.

The old saying is "if you reload, buy a 45-70. If you dont reload, buy a .444"

I have seen reloaded 45-70 ammo that will blow a hole thru 8" of railway tie.
Not that you will ever be attacked by 8" of railway tie, but on a charging griz or moose, that kinda power would come in handy.

Marlin actions are very strong and can handle the majority of reloaded 45-70 ammo. I have had at least a dozen different 45-70's (H&R, Marlin, Browning) and in my experience, the Marlin lever gun was the best of the bunch for my needs.....guiding.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
you guys that shoot this cal. do you handload or buy factory? If you buy what are your preferences?

Thanks
Incoming PM!
cat
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM

This is the girl I'm looking to shoot a buff with in march. Going up north on the west and south of the Park for a hunt. Uberti 1885 high-wall in 45-70.

Cat has graciously offer to help build a black powder cartridge for her.

http://
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM

I had a impulse buy a little while ago and bought a 45/70 handi rifle. Sweet little gun. The guy at WSS wouldnt sell me the Hornady Leverevolutions because there ONLY designed for a lever gun....? Didnt make sense but I didnt want to argue, because I might get even worse service next time if I did. Some one with more knowledge explain this to me please.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:18 AM

Uh, not sure why, because I think that handi is probably as strong as the danged levers!!
MAN, that is a fantastic looking rifle!!
This is one I put together a few years back with a Tasco scope and custom mounts a friend built for me.
This one was in 40/65
Cat

Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 AM

The fellow at WSS didn't know what he was talking about. The factory ammo would be just fine in the handi rifle. Maybe the guy behind the counter was a little "handi".

In that fine rifle you plan to take buffalo hunting, the black powder loads that Cat will help you with would be great. Good luck on your buffalo hunt. Eric
Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM

what a beaut setup bearb8er. The wss dude should have said Leverevolution ammo is the only pointed ammo safe for a tube mag. No problem at all for your Uberti.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 AM

thanks guys. The only ammo I've put down the tube so far is the Leverevolutions - shot fine. I really wanted to do this hunt with black powder cartridges but was running out of time to try to learn enough to build the loads myself. So cat's offer to build some for me was just over to top! All the buff pics on the other thread are starting to get the blood flowing.

Hey Cat those mounts look really solid. Trust mine will last.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Hey Cat those mounts look really solid. Trust mine will last.
Those mounts are super, but go better on an octagon barrel as opposed to my round one.
I have since sold both, but George built three at a time, and has one left!
a 500 grain hard cast will hit like a freight train!!
Cat