Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Lever Action .22

By Thursday I will be buying my first rifle. I am still under debate on what though. My choices are:

1) Henry Lever H001 $270ish
2) Marlin Model 39 $600ish
3) Browning BL-22 $550ish

I am having trouble justifying to myself spending the extra on #2 or #3. The Henry has a silky smooth action. But this is because it uses plastic internals (or so ive read). I KNOW that 2 and 3 are better made and will last better then a lifetime. But it is alot of money for a plinker.

I will be using it for grouse, rabbit, and target while I wait for Wholesale to get my 12Ga in (which is another story).
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 AM

PS: if anyone knows of anyone who might be thinking of selling any of the above please let me know...
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM

I can only comment on one of your choices, but a buddy of mine has been shooting a Browning BL22 now for close to 20 years and it's never given him any sort of problem. It's a nicely finished rifle that I'm sure most shooters would be proud to have in their gun cabinet.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I can only comment on one of your choices, but a buddy of mine has been shooting a Browning BL22 now for close to 20 years and it's never given him any sort of problem. It's a nicely finished rifle that I'm sure most shooters would be proud to have in their gun cabinet.
I can vouge for the browning too. Mines 20+ years old also and still shoots like it did when I got it.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM

I have the Marlin 39A....great shooting gun. I like it because it has a longer barrel.
But I also know the Browning is a bery nice gun
And I know nothing about the Henry.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Big.Bear

If its just going to be used to shoot grouse, rabbits etc I would go with the Henry Lever H001.

That's just my opinion
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Default Marlin 39

1st- Marlin 39

2nd- Browning BL22

3rd- Winchester 9422

Henry. I want to like them but can't like a rifle with all that plastic and pot metal.

I've been shooting my 39 for over 20 years now, very accurate and reliable. Dad had a BL22 for 15ish years, good little rifle, alot lighter than the 39. Can't go wrong with any of the top three IMO, but they'll likely still be making the Marlin after all the others have ceased to exist.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Looking at some other fourms and this one I am slowly getting it into my thick head that you get what you pay for. I love the looks of the marlin and the browning is pretty sharp. They are both something I could hand down to my own kids one day and be proud to do so. I think I'm going to try to find a used one if I can.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Default 22

I've never owned a Henry, but have had a 39 and still have the BL 22. i loved the look and feel of my 39, but as soon as I started to shoot the Browning, the Marlin never left the safe until the day I sold it.
The nice thing about the Marlin is the resale value of them, as I bought mine 3 years ago and sold it for more than I paid for it.
really like the smaller frame feel of the BL and I' well over 6 feet tall. FS
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

i am now getting cold feet haha tommorow i am going to buy my first rifle and still cant decide.

the Marlin is just too overpriced, like $720 come on.
the Browning is getting up there too, $520 for the base model
or the Henry for $260

I had a line on a used 39, but my lack of planning and needing something to shoot on Sunday for my rabbit hunt put the kybosh on that.

I could get the Marlin Model 60 (semi auto) for even less then the Henry, but thats not a lever...: cry:

i guess it is my first rifle and i could always buy something else something different another day...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 PM

ill vote for the henry....its a fine gun...and the plastic and pot metal works...simple as that....glocks are plastic too
Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergrey View Post
the Marlin is just too overpriced, like $720 come on.
the Browning is getting up there too, $520 for the base model
or the Henry for $260
IMO get a 'keeper' for your first rifle........... The Marlin will prolly be over $1200 in 25 years, yours will look cheap at $720.......
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 PM

My vote is the Marlin. It's a damn nice .22 My dad has one and I've shot it a lot and love it.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM

the more i think about it the more impracticle the leaver becomes. loading and unloading...

i might look at the Savage MKII combo, it comes with a scope and is still the same price as the Henry. Maybe my second 22 will be a lever when i have the money to spend on a good one.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM

I've owned and shot extensively, a M39 Mountie for 35 years and absolutely love it. I've shot BL22's and 9422 and they are very nice as well. I can't speak for the Henry but generally you get what you pay for and nothing pi**es me off more than paying hard earned money for something and being disappointed with my purchase. My guess is that if the Henry is assembled with plastic internals it will likely wear and eventually let you down - at that price point some compromises will exist. After 1000's and 1000's of rounds my Marlin is still as accurate and reliable as the day it came home with me (having said that I can't speak for the current crop of 39's but FWIW, a buddy has a new 1895 and loves it). Obviously everybody has a budget that they need to stay within but my thoughts are buy as much gun as you can afford, you're less likely to be disappointed. Most importantly buy one. Good luck.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
the more i think about it the more impracticle the leaver becomes. loading and unloading...

i might look at the Savage MKII combo, it comes with a scope and is still the same price as the Henry. Maybe my second 22 will be a lever when i have the money to spend on a good one.

Give sickfast a call..... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=25906
Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
a buddie might be interested... but i JUST bought the exact gun in a 20Ga LAST NIGHT at WSS. I would have taken a 12Ga to save $150
Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
a buddie might be interested... but i JUST bought the exact gun in a 20Ga LAST NIGHT at WSS. I would have taken a 12Ga to save $150
I meant the two .22s he has, at the bottom of his post. I like the look of the wood....
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM

If your taking a look at bolt action .22s, have a look at Anshcutz. Not 100% sure on availability or pricing but they are awesome guns.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
I meant the two .22s he has, at the bottom of his post. I like the look of the wood....
duh haha looked right past those
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
If your taking a look at bolt action .22s, have a look at Anshcutz. Not 100% sure on availability or pricing but they are awesome guns.
I got one it is a great gun!!!

shot gophers over 150 yards with a 22
Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Ruger M96 .22 is a lever, has a detachable box magazine, is around $500 including tax, and is in the Russell's Catalogue. Never handled it myself but it is one I have been thinking of looking at as it may meet my requirements for a "truck gun". Not very traditional looking and not pretty though. I am assuming you aren't competitive shooting.

Don't listen to the Boltie crowd unless that's what your really want. I had a Stevens .243 for deer lastyear: worked great but I just didnt' like it. Sold it and bought a BLR: I loved carrying it in deer season even if it did limit long shots. More successful too. My brother has a Tikka T3, which he bought without handling, due to all the Rave Reviews but this year admited he wished he bought a lever instead..

Go into the Store, try every one that is within your real price range, and pick. You will probably like the feel of one better than the Others: you will forget the price if you love holding it. Bolts never gave me that feeling (althought I did buy one last night). I've heard nothing but good things about the Marlin 39 series but never found one I liked, the Browning BL-22 however... The Henry was Ok.

Sorry for the Length.

Cheers.