Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 AM

I will add that GSP's are beautiful dogs but they are super high maintenance and really no nice way to put it, they are asses! lol I had one, a couple friends have one and a family member had a couple. They are not in my opinion great family pets unless you consider destroying your house/truck/other items, annoying anybody who ever comes to visit, and costing you lots of money... then yes they are great! lol
Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I will add that GSP's are beautiful dogs but they are super high maintenance and really no nice way to put it, they are asses! lol I had one, a couple friends have one and a family member had a couple. They are not in my opinion great family pets unless you consider destroying your house/truck/other items, annoying anybody who ever comes to visit, and costing you lots of money... then yes they are great! lol
This is 100% opposite of what all my GSP's are, or have been...
Old 04-23-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
This is 100% opposite of what all my GSP's are, or have been...
And it proves that behavior varies more by dog than by reed, but if you go with the right bloodlines, you increase the odds of having a dog with a better temperament.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Default GSP or Lab

I have hunted both labs and GSPs, currently I have two GSP's. I love working with my GSPs and both of mine are both good pointers, and both have been trained to retrieve. My female is 8 years old and has more go then my 4 year old male.

As i get closer to retirement I will be moving back to a Lab. The GSP's really should be run everyday so really it comes down to the time you will spend.

I agree with one of the other responses regarding cold weather, it is no so much the cold weather that slows my GSP's it is when they are wet in cold weather that is when I need to watch them.

Lastly with my GSP's I do not need to work cover as hard as I did with LABS, something else to consider at retirement age.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
For the occasional rooster Hunter , mixed with all other birds . LAB .

Want a classy , foot hunting , great pet dog ....For the last 100 years
The Supreme Gun Dog ......WPG .....Wire Haired Pointing Griffon .
Definitely All Weather ....

There seems to be two classes of Birders .....dog watchers
or bird killers .
Newellknik, Did you train your own Griff or send it away. I am looking for a Griff trainer around the Calgary Area?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
best dog to take pheasant hunting is the dog you take with you
Hunted over them all plus German Shepherds and cattle and sheep dogs ...they all pounded birds... my preference is a Springer, but if I had to go pointer lol- it would be Brittany... I just lost my last dogs a red phase flat coated retriever and a field springer ... my next dogs will be a brace of field cockers unless my son and daughter have their way which would be a Golden ( i could trick them with a Field Golden) ... any which way I win and they will be Family members and have many great times afield ... as an aside I would kennel cut my springers in mid August and their coat was long enough for warmth and protection by fall but short enough to be burr free
Old 02-13-2020, 10:39 AM

One thing is for sure,any dog no matter what you hunt with is nothing but a pain,for you, the dog and anyone you hunt with if its not TRAINED.

If you sped the money either get it trained properly, or if you KNOW how, train it yourself.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
One thing is for sure,any dog no matter what you hunt with is nothing but a pain,for you, the dog and anyone you hunt with if its not TRAINED.

If you sped the money either get it trained properly, or if you KNOW how, train it yourself.
True true true... I would suggest on a minimalist perspective that you only need 1 command and that is that the canine stops and looks at you when you say NO!!! in any circumstance ...then you can let 10,000 years of genetics kick in ... this has allowed me to hunt upland with mongrels (farm dogs), healers, german shepherds, huntaways, border collie ... plus most eastablished upland breeds ... coolest upland dog was the border collie that we could cast wide and long then have her push the rooster to us as blockers on long ditches