Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 PM

Default Skinner Sites

So I'm having the 19.5" barrel on my Marlin Glenfield Model 30 cut down to 16.5". It is a .35 rem that I'm going to turn into a guide gun of sorts to have on my saddle when I do horse patrols. When not on my saddle I'll use it for keeping critters at bay in my yard...(critters = self defense) I ordered the Skinner guide gun set of rear and front site to put on this rifle. Has anyone had experience using Skinner sites on a guide gun? Once I get the rifle cut down and re crowned I'm going to get a good cerekote finish on it to go with the stock I stained when I purchased the rifle several years back.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 PM

Default Skinner Sights

I put the Skinner Peep Sights on my Tikka T3 SS.
Not the gun you mentioned, but I like the peep sights.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 PM

I have the skinner winged peeps on my Marlin 1894 I really like them. Longer sighting radius than you will have but I would think they would meet your needs .
Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 PM

I have Skinners Lo Pro on my 19" barreled Krico 30-06. Really like them.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
So I'm having the 19.5" barrel on my Marlin Glenfield Model 30 cut down to 16.5". It is a .35 rem that I'm going to turn into a guide gun of sorts to have on my saddle when I do horse patrols. When not on my saddle I'll use it for keeping critters at bay in my yard...(critters = self defense) I ordered the Skinner guide gun set of rear and front site to put on this rifle. Has anyone had experience using Skinner sites on a guide gun? Once I get the rifle cut down and re crowned I'm going to get a good cerekote finish on it to go with the stock I stained when I purchased the rifle several years back.
18.6 is the shortest you can get it cut down to, take her down to 16.5 and she will become a useless prohib, you can buy a manufactured barrel any length for that gun so long as the overall length is 26”and over
Old 03-25-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
18.6 is the shortest you can get it cut down to, take her down to 16.5 and she will become a useless prohib, you can buy a manufactured barrel any length for that gun so long as the overall length is 26”and over
He lives a few miles south of us.

Colin
Old 03-25-2018, 08:01 AM

I have it on my Marlin guide gun. Works great, fits into my scabbard with no problem. I just use the "ghost ring" no aperture. The sight gives a good quick look at close range, and with a bit older eyes it helps a lot.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

Skinner Express rear sight on my Marlin CBA. Was able to keep the original Marbles front bead. Works great. CBA is an 18.5" barrel. Shorter sight planes are supposed to a little less accurate, but I don't have a problem out to about 150yds.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
He lives a few miles south of us.

Colin
Sorry, missed that part.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Skinner Express rear sight on my Marlin CBA. Was able to keep the original Marbles front bead. Works great. CBA is an 18.5" barrel. Shorter sight planes are supposed to a little less accurate, but I don't have a problem out to about 150yds.
I'm not too worried about the shorter site radius. Once this rifle gets cut down I'll sight it in for 30 yards or so and if I ever take it out to 100 its just so I know where it prints.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 PM

Rifles shortened and sight installed. Gunsmith dropped it off for the cerakote job yesterday. that means hopefully in the next 2 weeks I will have it back. Hopefully I can figure out how to post pictures here so you all can see the end results. Should be a great saddle gun although it will probably stay by the door more often.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Custom mount

For my Guide Gun I made my own mount on a turret lathe at work then fixed a ladder sight off of a No4 MK1 Enfield I had lying around. I had to put a taller blade sight on the front to account for the elevation of the rear but Everything worked out in the end. After installation I went to the range and elevation was bang on at 100 meters. I had to account for 4" of windage but other than that it works very well. The front sight is a Skinner, sorry I wasn't more helpful on the rear portion.

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG
Old 04-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I have it on my Marlin guide gun. Works great, fits into my scabbard with no problem. I just use the "ghost ring" no aperture. The sight gives a good quick look at close range, and with a bit older eyes it helps a lot.
X2
Old 06-28-2018, 08:26 PM

The long wait is over. There was a delay as the cerakote guy lost his shop and had to relocate. In the mean time I was left out of the loop and the gunsmith had my rifle hanging around his shop. I got things figured out and the guy doing the finish felt bad since I had to wait so long he put the cerakote on for free. Only thing I had to pay for was the barrel cut and crown and new dovetail cut in. I was a bit worried how it would look but to be honest it looks a lot better now than it did initially. I'm excited to see how it shoots now.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:55 AM

Are you able to post a few pics? I'm looking forward to seeing what your "new" rifle looks like.