Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Straight east of Balzac near Keoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
So where is Bruce Lake?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Man, I hope this isn't true. Was there a problem with the aeration system this winter?
I would like to know too! Was the aeration system not working this winter? ...anyone?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
The thing is that a lack of excessive nutrients present would prevent a lake from becoming a trophy fishery. Plus what is already in the system — such as dead fish — wouldn’t increase the biomass really at all. You can’t increase what is already there. What you want to mitigate is excess increase of foreign organic matter, which augments the development of more biomass. Just sayin
how many thousands pounds of bait do you think has been added to pigeon lake over the years , it has helped the algae bloom that never used to happen
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Gotta appreciate how they closed Cross Lake for winterkill last year only to open it this year already. Clearly the revenue lost because then gouvernment closed the lake on the campground was too much. So instead of allowing the lake to health it's own population, god forbid the gouvernment taking an extra step, they opened the lake like nothing happened.

I haven't been there yet nor during the winter for obvious reasons, but I doubt the perch population rebounded enough to allow anglers to keep them again.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyandrew65 View Post
Gotta appreciate how they closed Cross Lake for winterkill last year only to open it this year already. Clearly the revenue lost because then gouvernment closed the lake on the campground was too much. So instead of allowing the lake to health it's own population, god forbid the gouvernment taking an extra step, they opened the lake like nothing happened.

I haven't been there yet nor during the winter for obvious reasons, but I doubt the perch population rebounded enough to allow anglers to keep them again.
You should go there before assuming they just opened it up for the park to make money...

Cross Lake had a partial summer kill 2 summers ago. The closure was actually unwarranted as there were and still are healthy populations of fish.

Dead fish were spotted so the reaction was to make the lake C&R which does make some sense. Upon inspection they realized there are still plenty of fish up there so they reinstated the old regs.

They did the same thing at another lake in NB1 a year or two ago as well, can't remember its name though.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 PM

I think a drive around some of the central lakes or a boating would be a good idea. Let`s take Pigeon for example. When I started fishing you could easily see the bottom on 13 FOW or even 26-27 was possible. When I went out at the end of the year, last day. It was dark in 9 FOW. Out deeper it was incredibly dark. No light penetration with 1 foot of solid snow and 4 feet of ice could be a killer combo. I hope not but it will be worth checking out this spring.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fi...interkill.html

We could use some more of this:
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fi...hinson/do.html

I certainly would not complain if they put limits on those lakes that already state `prone to summer or winterkill` as they will never be that productive anyways. If that includes a bigger lake like Utikima, fine.

Right now our water levels are in decline and there will only be more of these instances until we get a good flooding - like in the late 70s early 80s.

Our angler per KM must be through the roof by now with lakes losing more and more water.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 PM

Bruce lake dies out every couple of years and the pike work their way back down the irrigation line and drainage from Chestermere lake. It goes from dead to good in a few short years as it is full of nutrients, so realistically if there were plenty of fish removed, the few left would recover better. If Chestermere is kept healthy. The pike work their way from Chestermere lake down to Dalemead lake too. Very likely it took a big hit as well-it is a very shallow lake too. There is a limited amount of oxygen-once it's basically gone no fish can survive-except perhaps prussian carp. Only so much air in the tank until the ice comes off. I know prussian carp frequent that drainage basin - that is where they spread all over the South Saskatchewan basin from. It will recover quickly as it has in the past, perhaps a plan to manage numbers every few years to match growth rates would be better than total die off. And yes 10 million dollars would certainly help...
Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Why would we want to kill the lake before it has a chance to winter kill? Is the fishing no good on these lakes anyways(at other times)? Is fishing success only measured on what you can keep?

Liberal limits will net you nothing, with maybe the exception of the first year implemented. No recovery = no fish. And I do not want to see put and take for walleye/pike perch(and likely will never see it). We have put and take for trout already.

You may need to accept the dream of 5 age classes will rarely happen. I would rather have good fishing for 3 or 4 years than just the first year of your proposed fishing.
Just on observation, but Utikima has not suffered a severe winter kill in quite a while, despite some bad winters and high fish populations. Its been know to winterkill regularly in the past though... so what has changed? There is far more fishing pressure there now, perhaps with regular thinning of the population the winterkill cycle can be extended?

Beyond that fun point, which may or may not be a feasible theory on other waters, properly set size and catch limits should limit the harvest on lean years and allow the depleted population to make a comeback.

The major problem is that to properly determine these things individual lakes would have to be studied, which we all know would cut into the unemployed citizens beer money, and will never ever happen.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-19-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity how is the pike population doing on that lake? I fished it about 6-7 years ago and the pike fishing was pretty good. Lots of fish and a pretty good average size. As far as my information goes, it winterkilled several years back and I'm interested to know whether the pike are rebounding?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Just out of curiosity how is the pike population doing on that lake? I fished it about 6-7 years ago and the pike fishing was pretty good. Lots of fish and a pretty good average size. As far as my information goes, it winterkilled several years back and I'm interested to know whether the pike are rebounding?
Before the winter kill that made the regulations on retention go to 0 on everything, Pike fishing was alright. I dont really remember catching anything that was over the size limit or enough to make us comfortable taking it home. No use taking a 63cm fish when the rangers will measure it and it turns out their measuring stick is 1cm shorter then ours. We would hit areas where every cast could result in a pike, but even then they were all around the 30cm to 50cm range.

Im not sure what it is like now tho.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Before the winter kill that made the regulations on retention go to 0 on everything, Pike fishing was alright. I dont really remember catching anything that was over the size limit or enough to make us comfortable taking it home. No use taking a 63cm fish when the rangers will measure it and it turns out their measuring stick is 1cm shorter then ours. We would hit areas where every cast could result in a pike, but even then they were all around the 30cm to 50cm range.

Im not sure what it is like now tho.
Huh. See, I've heard that said before and it puzzles me. When I fished it we were just in a canoe, we threw spinnerbaits around the cattail island type thingys at the north end, and we hauled in fish in the 5-7 lb range for several hours straight. I live in Slave Lake, I didn't really want to go down to Cross lake to begin with, but I ended up having a blast.

Sounds like this was a freak event?
Old 04-19-2018, 06:52 PM

We need MOAR global warming. That will prevent winter and winterkill.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM

Well at least some of you get the point on liberal limits with open waters in April for wonderful lakes.

As for post winterkill years these lakes can be left open as the populations will be low and fishing pressure will stop with poor catch success.

Drewski
Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Pine Lake?

Just checked the winter kill lakes for this year and I see Pine is on it again. I have not been out there since season ended, anyone have any idea how bad it was this year?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:31 PM

Lakes like Lake isle suffer greatly from runoff from farms in the area as far as I am concerned. Unrelenting amounts of fertilizer leaching through the soil into the lake along with over development of the lake shore IE cottages on every available foot of shoreline. Eventually they will do the same thing to Jackfish lake west of Edmonton. That lake used to be such a nice clean lake with great fishing . Now it is a murky lake that is prone to algae blooms.It has McMansions covering the perimeter and even if you can get in to fish.Cabin owners have it limited to 20 cars in the parking lot I believe, you are inundated with Wake boats and Jet skis constantly churning up the lake. What was a great fishing lake is reduced to mediocre at best with skinny pike and a few stocked walleye.
In Alberta we take every resource it seems and squeeze the life out of it before we stop and think - hey we shoulda done that differently -- but we never seem to learn.
Like the fellow on here used to say ,"It's Alberta boys take what you can get before it's gone."(paraphrase)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:41 PM

What do you mean " it's alberta boys take what you can??" ? Had a look at the catch limits or regulations lately? How about "its alberta boys., bend over and take it like a man, gimmee your money., and forget about eating any of these skinny, stunted, and doomed to die a slow agonizing death because it's gonna winter kill, kinda fish".? Stock walleye as a put and take fish like a rainbow trout or leave it be and don't waste your time. 20 years of protection and it's the same old crap. All the cabin lakes will never recover, it'll just give the cabin owners a fresh walleye now and then if no one is lookin. I don't blame them a bit, might as well get something out of the half million they coughed up to live by a stinky old slough that's doomed as a fishery. Might have been a fine pike and perch lake but they all got whacked and we all know the fisheries will never stock a pike or perch in those lakes.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 PM

It's sad really. And there are some lakes and ponds that could be potential fisheries but they are empty and locked up by cities looking to develop over them, and not accessible in the mean time. I wish they would have some of the more stable ones set up as fisheries, as well as help boost populations struggling from various situations. If they were set up doing one, the other wouldn't be hard on an as needed basis. Like the rest of you, I'm tired of seeing my favorite lakes die and year after year they are "TBD" with nothing done. It's not hard to feel as if they don't care very much when the F&W officers that came every weekend quit coming out 2 or 3 years ago but the number of fisherman was just as many or even more... As for the statement about Alberta, I look at how few real lakes we have compared to all of the other provinces (like substantially fewer) and there are like hundreds more people fishing each lake on average here than other provinces so "take what you can get." When I look at the numbers compared to the other provinces on number of lakes, average number of fisherman/hours/days out etc. however I do feel like Fish and Game has had a rough go of it trying to keep up to the quotas needed. How many other provinces banned commercial fishing to help sustain the resource? I'm not saying they have done fantastic, but also not saying they flopped either. Yet. haha
If you are looking for the exact numbers, they are out there on provincial and federal government websites.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You should go there before assuming they just opened it up for the park to make money...

Cross Lake had a partial summer kill 2 summers ago. The closure was actually unwarranted as there were and still are healthy populations of fish.

Dead fish were spotted so the reaction was to make the lake C&R which does make some sense. Upon inspection they realized there are still plenty of fish up there so they reinstated the old regs.

They did the same thing at another lake in NB1 a year or two ago as well, can't remember its name though.
Stoney (Siler) Lake
Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFisherman View Post
It's sad really. And there are some lakes and ponds that could be potential fisheries but they are empty and locked up by cities looking to develop over them, and not accessible in the mean time. I wish they would have some of the more stable ones set up as fisheries, as well as help boost populations struggling from various situations. If they were set up doing one, the other wouldn't be hard on an as needed basis. Like the rest of you, I'm tired of seeing my favorite lakes die and year after year they are "TBD" with nothing done. It's not hard to feel as if they don't care very much when the F&W officers that came every weekend quit coming out 2 or 3 years ago but the number of fisherman was just as many or even more... As for the statement about Alberta, I look at how few real lakes we have compared to all of the other provinces (like substantially fewer) and there are like hundreds more people fishing each lake on average here than other provinces so "take what you can get." When I look at the numbers compared to the other provinces on number of lakes, average number of fisherman/hours/days out etc. however I do feel like Fish and Game has had a rough go of it trying to keep up to the quotas needed. How many other provinces banned commercial fishing to help sustain the resource? I'm not saying they have done fantastic, but also not saying they flopped either. Yet. haha
If you are looking for the exact numbers, they are out there on provincial and federal government websites.

This has been on this site before but here it is again from 2013:

This is from the Alberta Conservation Association

Ontario has 250,000 fish-bearing
lakes, with 585,000 licensed anglers,
or 2.3 anglers per lake.

Saskatchewan has 94,000 fish-bearing lakes,
with about 184,000 licensed anglers,
or 1.9 anglers per lake.

Alberta has only 800 lakes with fish,
but 250,000 licenced anglers, or
312 anglers per lake.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM

Wow not many people must fish in Ontario. 14 million residents and only a little over double our licenses, and we only have 4 million people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

or 2.3 anglers per lake.

or 1.9 anglers per lake.

312 anglers per lake.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

or 2.3 anglers per lake.

or 1.9 anglers per lake.

312 anglers per lake.
And 95% of those lakes are accessible by float plane... but we do get the point.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 AM

That's what I was looking for, was on a time crunch haha. Thanks Jungleboy!
Old 05-03-2019, 08:38 AM

Fishable water includes rivers and creeks. Lets look at the number and length of these water ways in doing the calculation.

You will quickly see that the density of fishermen on any water way is rather low when you factor in the rivers and creeks.

But then again exposing this pretzel logic employed by Fisheries would spoil the justification for not opening lakes for 20 + years to retention, right!

Drewski
Old 05-03-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Fishable water includes rivers and creeks. Lets look at the number and length of these water ways in doing the calculation.

You will quickly see that the density of fishermen on any water way is rather low when you factor in the rivers and creeks.

But then again exposing this pretzel logic employed by Fisheries would spoil the justification for not opening lakes for 20 + years to retention, right!

Drewski
And places like Sask And Ont don't have any rivers or creeks as well?

Regardless of how you decide to measure angling pressure, Alberta angling pressure per fish bearing water is much, much higher than these other provinces!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
And places like Sask And Ont don't have any rivers or creeks as well?

Regardless of how you decide to measure angling pressure, Alberta angling pressure per fish bearing water is much, much higher than these other provinces!
yup.