Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Cool My First Gun

Went down today and picked her up. Not what I originally wanted, but after thinking about it, it made more sense to go this way... Let the rabbit hunt begin!

What I bought:

20 Ga. Remington 870 Express

I figured that it would be easier to get rabbits after they were kicked up with this then a .22
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergrey View Post
Went down today and picked her up. Not what I originally wanted, but after thinking about it, it made more sense to go this way... Let the rabbit hunt begin!

What I bought:

20 Ga. Remington 870 Express

I figured that it would be easier to get rabbits after they were kicked up with this then a .22
You are going to love that 870!

Cat
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Thumbs up

I shot a bunch over the winter with the same gun. I found #4 or #6 lead works great! Have fun that 870 won't let you down no matter what you put it through.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I shot a bunch over the winter with the same gun. I found #4 or #6 lead works great! Have fun that 870 won't let you down no matter what you put it through.
picked up 50 shells of #4 as well... should do the trick. Sunday will be unsuccessful if I don't go through them all.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Another smart shopper. I am sure it will give you years of enjoyment. My 870 is 33 years old and counting.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM

My 12 guage 870 is 8 years old and has always done everything I've asked of it. I don't think you'll have any regrets.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 AM

My son's trap gun is an old 870 that was built form parts - we call it
"Frankengun" , the name was hung on it by my older brother when he worked for a famous Canadian gunsmith in the 60's.
it started out with a gun that came into the shop for parts due to a blow up .
A 20 got mixed in with the 12's and slid forward of the extractor.
When the gun misfired, another shell was racked and - KABOOM!!!
Luckily no one was seriously hurt, but I remember something about broken fingers.

He bought the chassis for peanuts, and salvaged a few screws and springs , scroundged some VERY nice wood with the help of (Ron Bowman of Remington), built a trap barrel from a M58 field gun, plugging the gas vents , installed a rib and shortend the shank, and a skeet barrel from an 870.
He choked the barrels IMP/MOD and SKT2, and I think it was likely George
Poahl himself who put one of the finest bluing jobs on it I have ever seen
This gun has been going strong since, and is a perfectly balanced, lightning quick, work of art!
I will never see field use mind you, it is strictly regulated to the skeet and trap ranges , as it is just too nice to take into the bush or a duck blind!

Cat
Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 AM

she is solid. gave her a little oil last night to make sure she stays nice for me on Sunday, considering it sounds like its going to be slop out there.

i also put in a request for a 12Ga Mossberg 930 Autoloader for duck and geese, so i hope that will be in soon as well....
Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
she is solid. gave her a little oil last night to make sure she stays nice for me on Sunday, considering it sounds like its going to be slop out there.

i also put in a request for a 12Ga Mossberg 930 Autoloader for duck and geese, so i hope that will be in soon as well....
Easy does it on the oil, remember oil will get stiff in cold weather, and no matter what the label says it all does that especially over time.(also when it attracts gunk, lint and crud) Consider dry teflon lubricants, and the like for cold weather use.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-16-2009, 11:35 AM

can you rip these right down? it seems to be rivited. you would think they would use bolts or screws
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM

870's are pretty much field strippable.
Read the owners manual to remove the barrel and the bolt. The trigger group is just as easy, just push out the two pins and it will wiggle right out into your hands.

There is really not much call to take it down beyond that, but the butt stock can be removed with a philips screw driver and a long straight blade screwdriver (or socket and extension).

There are no absolutes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Skip the mossy, sell or return the 870 and get ONE GOOD 12 ga. semi that can do it all well. Beretta or Benelli would be my choice.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
can you rip these right down? it seems to be rivited. you would think they would use bolts or screws
Prety simple, yup. As Dick said, read your owner's manual.
After ypu get the barel off and the trigger group out, the breach block and follower come right out, but there are some parts you must be aware of.
There are in depth tear down instructions available on the 'net, I'm sure....
Cat
Old 01-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Google is your friend.

First hit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ORAzzeyz90

There are no absolutes