Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Default Regular Rifle and Varmit Rifles

I am looking at a rifle that is a so called Varmit rifle. the one I'm looking at is a Model 70 Coyote Light on the winchester website. The caliber is 270 wsm what is the diffrence in regular rifles and varmit rifles and would there be any problems if I bought this rifle for big game. 270 wsm is a big game caliber.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Rifles

Probably a heavy barrel and larger/heavier stock on the Varmint edition.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:34 PM

I looked it up and there is not a diffrence between winchesters regular model 70 rifles and the model 70 coyote varmit rifle when it comes to weight, barrel length, and overall length.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM

270 WSM will kill big game. The only way to tell for sure is to handle one and decide if you are willing to carry the weight around. I find it interesting that the website says they weigh the same. Last i heard the coyote "light" is a medium contour barrel, whereas the sporter is a ligher "sporter" contour barrel, and then there is the featherweight, which sports a pencil thin barrel.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Default Rifles

I'm not a Winchetser fan therefore I guess I dont know too much about them.
If it were a Sako or Tikka Varmint then it would be heavy barrels.

I personally prefer my Sako model 75's rifles and have a few Tikka T3 LS rifles.

I have two 270WSM (mine and my wife's). Great caliber for big game. I use 140gr Accubonds. Took my cow elk with mine this past season in December. Double lung pass thru about 150 metres - she dropped in her tracks...actually pretty much fell over backwards.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM

The only diffrence in weight between model 70 featherweight and the coyote light is 4oz's in 270 wsm. They don't weigh exactly the same but would 4oz's be much a diffrence.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABolt270 View Post
I am looking at a rifle that is a so called Varmit rifle. the one I'm looking at is a Model 70 Coyote Light on the winchester website. The caliber is 270 wsm what is the diffrence in regular rifles and varmit rifles and would there be any problems if I bought this rifle for big game. 270 wsm is a big game caliber.
The 270WSM is a big game calibre....certainly not classed as a varmint calibre. One doesn't need a heavy barrel for regular big game hunting and the added weight of these things could really get to you over time. Every extra ounce gets felt after a long day of hunting on foot. If you are looking for a rifle to shoot big game and the odd coyote with, I would strongly recommend you buy a regular sporting weight barreled rifle in an all around big game calibre. That means a rifle that weighs 7.5 pounds without scope. An all around calibre is usually defined as a 270 WIN, 7 REM MAG, 308 WIN or a 30-06. Get a nice one from one of the big firms like Remington or Ruger and you'll be set for life.

Take a close look at the calibre first and foremost and take a serious look at what you plan to hunt with it. Remember that the 30-06 out sells everything else by a wide margin and there is a good reason for that. If you feel the 30-06 is too much gun for you, then if I was in your shoes, I would buy a 270 WIN (not a 270 WSM). In case you didn't know, the 270 WIN is a 30-06 case, necked down to .277" or 7.04mm size. It is a very flat shooting, hard hitting round, without as much recoil as the 30 calibres have. It is a great size for most game and can double as a coyote round. It is also one of the most popular cartridges ever developed and still is one of the best sellers.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Default Varmint Rifles

Here is the start of an article by Chuck Hawks on Varmint Rifles. You may or may not like his choice of calibres, but it is a definition of what a varmint rifle is:

Varmint Rifles
By Chuck Hawks

The typical varmint rifle is a specialized type of small caliber, long range hunting rifle. Great killing power is not required because the targets are usually rodents ranging in size from ground squirrels and prairie dogs to marmots (woodchucks or ground hogs), but accuracy and flat trajectory are at a premium. The small size of the targets means that the generally accepted maximum permissible bullet deviation above or below the line of sight is only 1.5 inches. It also means that high power telescopic sights are the norm. Their limited field of view is acceptable because the targets are small, far away, and shot only when motionless.
In addition, recoil should be light as many shots may be taken in one day. For the same reason, barrel heating can be a problem, so cartridges that burn a great amount of powder are not desirable. This explains why cartridges such as the .240 and .257 Weatherby Magnums are not very popular for varmint shooting, even though they are terrific in terms of ballistics, and the .25-06 is marginal. These cartridges kick too hard and burn too much powder to be ideal varmint calibers.
Serious varmint hunters are almost always reloaders. Most find it rewarding to fine tune their loads for maximum accuracy in their individual rifles. There is an excellent selection of varmint bullets in .22, .24, and .25 caliber, and a very limited selection in .17 caliber.

To read the full article go to: http://www.chuckhawks.com/varmint_rifles.htm
Old 01-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Sometimes predators are referred to as varmints. i think you need to differentiate between them. A 270 may be a tad overkill for a varmint like a gopher and while it will certainly hammer a coyote, again it is a tad overkill.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 PM

But would I be wrong in assuming that the rifles he talks about in the article (.22 et al) would be too light in the punch for yotes? Those rounds seem small to me, but I have no experience ot back that up.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 PM

Default .22

I believe he is talking about centerfire .22 calibres such as .223 etc. Which I would think has more than enough oomph for a coyote, particularily in the varmint rig category of rifles he describes, heavy barrel, high power scopes etc.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:24 PM

hey guys thanks for the replys. Ok now I now varmit rifles are usally smaller calibers thats why I'm confused about this rifle I like the options on this gun but the website calls it a varmit rifle but the calibers range up to 325 WSM.
Heres the like can anyone explain please?

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...d=115&cat=001C
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Winchester's Spin

Chuck Hawks article offered one definition of what constitues a "varmint" rifle, there is no set rules or guidelines of what is, or cannot be considered in this class of rifle.

In my opinion Winchester is calling this a Varmint rifle as a marketing ploy.

If you want to shoot a 325 WSM all day and call it a varmint rifle they are more than happy to fill that need with a product.

But as they state in their description: Most varmint guns are easily recognized by their heavy barrels, bipod mounting studs and long range scopes, but they are far from being equal.

They then go on to remove all the "heavy" from this model to make it attractive to shoppers who don't want to lug around a heavier rifle, but still want to say they own a "varmint" rifle.

If you subscribe to Mr. Hawks definition, this is not a varmint rifle. But everyone has their own opinion of what that is based on their experience and beliefs.

Just follow some of the threads started with the question "What is the perfect calibre for hunting.......deer/moose/elk/gophers etc. And stand back a watch the fun! Some say you cannot hunt deer with anything less than a belted magnum, others would use a .17 HMR if the law would let them.

Boils down to personal choice and how YOU define a gun's purpose and usage. Because sure as shooting, if I was to stand up here in this forum and say that a 325 WSM cannot be a varmint rifle I would get at least 10 responses from varmint shooters who use that calibre and swear it is the best varmint gun they have ever had for a variety of reasons.

Good luck with your search for a new rifle, whatever purpose you intend to put it to.