Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM

Yeah makes no sense to me either Okie, as do alot of the other gun laws. But then again you can put a pistol grip on a semi with a 18.5 inch barrel to make it shorter as long as its over 26 inches. By the way I read the rules anyhow.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM

M500 TACTICAL COLLAPSIBLE STOCK & SHELL HOLDER

Innovative new system from Advanced Technology Inc. that fits the Mossberg® 500/590/835 and Maverick® 88 pump shotguns, plus adapts to the Winchester® 1200/1300 and Remington® 870 pump shotguns. Collapsible, six-position buttstock with pistol grip and tactical buttpad is California compliant and made from matte black, glass-filled nylon. Pre-drilled holes for tactical shotshell holder (sold separately). Stock changes length of pull from 9-1/4” to 13-1/4”. Sling swivel stud included.

I put this one on my mossberg 500 with a 18.5 inch cylinder bore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tact5_jpg.jpg (56.0 KB, 82 views)

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-12-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Good Hiking Gun

I was at a Gun Shop in Tofield Alberta 2 weeks ago,they showed me a little single shot shorty 410 Hiker..only about 28 inches long,he said the factory can legally make and sell these short guns,and $150.00 too.but didnt get a name or model, phone the gun shop in Tofield.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvb View Post
I was at a Gun Shop in Tofield Alberta 2 weeks ago,they showed me a little single shot shorty 410 Hiker..only about 28 inches long,he said the factory can legally make and sell these short guns,and $150.00 too.but didnt get a name or model, phone the gun shop in Tofield.
That should be the boito hiker.
You can order them online here: http://www.frontiertaxidermy.com/html/shotguns1.html
Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM

I have a remmington 870 defender with pistol grip i would use 3" buckshot. awsome gun never jams. My buddy has a mossberg a little cheaper but screws up all the time I wouldn't touch one even if it was 1/3 the cost of my remmington.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwhite View Post
I have a remmington 870 defender with pistol grip i would use 3" buckshot. awsome gun never jams. My buddy has a mossberg a little cheaper but screws up all the time I wouldn't touch one even if it was 1/3 the cost of my remmington.
Your loss. The 500 is been in production for 40 years.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 01-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwhite View Post
How do you find the pistol grip?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM

My hiking gun is a stainless steel Marlin guide gun in .45-70 with stoutly loaded 420gr hard cast bullets.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 PM

Thumbs up Coach Gun

When I'm out in the back country during the off season, I carry a light 12Ga. Coach Gun, if I feel it's needed. It works great for putting meat (small game) on the fire, and it also makes for a fairly good defence gun.

Rifled slugs and 'OOO' Buck in 3" shells are absolutely devastating at close range. I usually keep 6 defence rounds in/on the gun while in the back country (one in each chamber, and four on the stock). For small game getting, I keep an assortment of birdshot shells in my backpack.

With only one exception, I've been able to avoid using it to defend against bears. With some common sense and a little bear-knowledge strategy, you can usually avoid the 'ultimate' solution ... the bear lives, and so do you!

My one exception was when I had to use it to stop a black bear ... I saved a hikers life with it!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
I don't know, but I been told...these are too hard to aim adequately. Even at short distances. Better to have something you can shoulder. Quickly. The proof will be in the pudding at the range. Try hitting a pie plate with one at 10-15 yds. from the hip.
Try hitting with any gun 'from the hip'. I used a pistol grip for years in the bush because I needed it, and used a pistol grip to make it small because we didn't have the options we do now with short barrels. We shot alot and used Brenneke slugs as they would out penetrate everything else. We also shot looking down the rib of the barrel not from the hip so at bear range we were pretty good. Yes we were better with stocks on but we all still went with pistol grips. These days I would get a full stock with pistol grip as its nicer to shoot and like others have mentioned shorten the barrel.
Right now I also use the coach gun as its all I have.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
If a guy was set on using a shotgun for hiking, I would strongly advise against a pistol grip set-up. If you really want a super short gun take it off of the other end IMO. The pistol grips are so uncomfortable to shoot, esp. w/ slugs, that I can't imagine anyone getting enough practice on one to be proficient.

Get lots of practice. Lots of practice shooting slugs, preferably Brennekkes. Don't waste your time and energy carrying an arm for protection that you aren't completely familiar with IMO.

When I feel the need (rarely) and am not hunting I do carry a Rem870 w/ 20" bbl. Soon to be a 14" bbl w/ XS Ghostrings. Plain old wood furniture. Not really much fun to shoot...............but.

A few of my buds have 'experimented', against my advise, with pistol grips, special stocks etc. Last week one of them shot my 870 and stated "Thats it, mine is getting it's old stock back!!"

This is exactly what I did. Then I took the pistol grip off and have never used it since. Even with practice I cant see being confident enough with my accuracy from the pistol grip to bet my life on it. I have a friend with a folding stock that accepts the limbsaver pad. It is awesome with a backpack scabbard.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Default pack gun

I have an old Bakail 20 gauge been carrying since I was 14
seen its fair share of grouse, and one deer <yummy spikehorn>
breaks down into 3 pieces have no idea on the weight
very light anyway, i wouldnt trade it for a mil and a six pack
as tempting as that may be
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM

If anyone has a short barrelled shotgun (prefferably 12ga) I'd be interested in buying. (For use as a hiking shotgun) I'd like to see a pic / price if you have somthing for sale. PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Also have a skidoo up for trade.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=25789

Last edited by Albertadiver; 01-14-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Howdy,

Did the past thead search, read a lot of interesting information on whether or not to hike with a firearm etc.
Pure paranoia IMHO... The odd time I feel a bit nervous in a particular area it's just some bearspray on the belt. Studies suggest it's more effective than a gun anyway, and way lighter, can take it anywhere anytime, etc.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Pure paranoia IMHO... The odd time I feel a bit nervous in a particular area it's just some bearspray on the belt. Studies suggest it's more effective than a gun anyway, and way lighter, can take it anywhere anytime, etc.
True enough. I spend a lot of time in the backcountry and have only ever needed bear spray. (never needed to use it) I'm just thinking of getting a pack gun for grouse, or 'just because'.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Howdy,

Did the past thead search, read a lot of interesting information on whether or not to hike with a firearm etc.

My question is, for those who prefer to hike with a non-restricted firearm, what is your preferred gun and load? I'm leaning towards a shotgun....
For some reason I ALWAYS manage to run into a bear or something. People want to take me bear hunting because no matter where I go I always find one ( or it finds me) Even fishing I carry at the minimum some bear spray. If not bearspray then a gun.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
For some reason I ALWAYS manage to run into a bear or something. People want to take me bear hunting because no matter where I go I always find one ( or it finds me) .
Good thing baiting of black bears is allowed, because YOU appear to be bait.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Default dalask shottie

The Dlask with the short barrel is non-restricted.
It has something to do with being either manufactured or a bonifide gunsmith manufacturing it .
There was eight or nine pages of disscussion on this same gun on the huntingbc.ca web site.
Only thing there was the guy bought it and then promptly added the pistol grip to it and thus it became "Restricted" and was glowing how the regi paper said it was non-restricted.
I haven't heard if this guy has taken it out to play , but rest assured he is going to loose it when he is stopped by a Peace Officer or CO.
I don't care what kinda gun a guy or gal owns, but if you don't know the rules then you better accept the results.
and to quote from the web page "These are part of a large run we did of 8.5” barreled Remington 870’s. These were by and large at the request of backpackers and hunters, as well as anyone who spends a lot of time in bear country. These are a non-restricted item at this time. Any one with a PAL may purchase one of these beauties"
Ok now for my rant @849.00 and tax your getting a 870express and that's it....
WSS or any other gun shop can supply you with a far superior firearm that that will do a far better job than this one will.
Easier to handle and draw a bead on what ever threat may approach you....rant off
Cheers and if anyone buys one. lets see the you tube clip first.
Rob

Last edited by .257Weatherby; 01-14-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Good thing baiting of black bears is allowed, because YOU appear to be bait.

lol true enough! ...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
True enough. I spend a lot of time in the backcountry and have only ever needed bear spray. (never needed to use it) I'm just thinking of getting a pack gun for grouse, or 'just because'.
Yeah a shotgun is way more fun then bear spray. Like the answer "just because". Used that one too. I want a 45-70 "just because".

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM

I hava a old 303 enfield with a plastic stock and 174gr RN bullets.
Long but light and accurate