Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 AM

My hunting party is of varying opinions when it comes to the grind mixture. One swears that pork is the wrong way to go, he'd rather mix with lean ground beef.
Another would rather use pork trim. Another wants lean pork.
This past season we did it totally different, and so far, so good. We mixed beef trim (probably 90% fat) at about a 1 - 4 ratio with the deer meat. We do drain a fair bit of fat after cooking, but the flavour is good. The beef trim was free from a local meat department, and fresh, he need a day to accumulate what I requested. I will probably go this road in the future. After buying fuel, bullets, tags etc. I don't need to buy domestic meat to mix with game.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 AM

Q.Can ruminants and non-ruminants co-exist happily in the unholy union of being ground together and frozen?

A. Yein
Old 04-29-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
No worries.

The roasts and steaks from this deer were great.

That is what has me stumped.
The meet is even vac sealed.
I have never had a chunk of steak or roast that has ever tasted bad on one that I cut. I have had ground or sausage that started out really good but has developed a peculiar taste after being frozen for a while. I can not help but think that the common denominator has something to do with the pork that was added.

I still mix pork with my ground, but do it just before I cook it.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This works equally well. Olive oil is cheaper than pork tenderloin. If I want ground pork I will buy it, but if I'm eating game then I want game.

Hope you figure out your issue. Generally speaking if it smells bad, I don't eat it. That has served me well.
I am a fan of olive oil for salads but for pan cooking I prefer lard or bacon fat or even butter.
I do not know if it is true but I have read that vegetable oils and fruit oils like olive oil do not do well with hot pan heat.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I am a fan of olive oil for salads but for pan cooking I prefer lard or bacon fat or even butter.
I do not know if it is true but I have read that vegetable oils and fruit oils like olive oil do not do well with hot pan heat.

Lots of different kinds of oils. I wouldn't use olive oil for deep frying, as at higher temps and longer use it would break down, but for frying up some ground meat it in a pan absolutely I would.

There are many types of oil, so here is a chart that gives smoke points. Even with deep frying you are typically looking at 350-375. Your frying pan on high gets hotter than that before you put a piece of meat in to fry, but that temp comes down quite quickly when the meat hits the pan, especially with ground meat which steams itself to begin with as there is so much moisture to begin with.

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutri...t-smoke-points
Old 04-30-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Lots of different kinds of oils. I wouldn't use olive oil for deep frying, as at higher temps and longer use it would break down, but for frying up some ground meat it in a pan absolutely I would.

There are many types of oil, so here is a chart that gives smoke points. Even with deep frying you are typically looking at 350-375. Your frying pan on high gets hotter than that before you put a piece of meat in to fry, but that temp comes down quite quickly when the meat hits the pan, especially with ground meat which steams itself to begin with as there is so much moisture to begin with.

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutri...t-smoke-points
That chart sort of confirms what I have read.
I do prefer animal fats to vegetable fats for the most part because I like the taste. I also like the idea that animal fats can be obtained by simple heat rendering.

Unlike extra virgin olive oil, that if authentic is obtained by simple pressure squeeze (my term) most vegetable oils need a chemical process to remove the oil. I also believe that most vegetable oils were not meant for food but were made originally as lubricants. I have read more than once that the original Crisco product of shortening was not intended as food but was produced in an attempt to make soap.

For me, animal fat seems to be more natural for food and oils made from things like soya and rape seen would probably be better as ingredients in paint.

Sorry for the deflect from the rancid meat taste thing
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
I think if your freezer quit for an extended period, you'd know.
P.S. I don't wish that experience on any other human being. (Unless they just keep booze in the deep freeze, I guess)
I use the "water bottle" trick to keep tabs on whether my freezer has suffered a power outage, or had the door left open etc.

Just freeze 1/2 water bottle, then put the bottle in the freezer upside down. If you ever find ice in the bottom of the water bottle, you know that there was a thaw at some point.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ Good Tip
Old 04-30-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have never had a chunk of steak or roast that has ever tasted bad on one that I cut. I have had ground or sausage that started out really good but has developed a peculiar taste after being frozen for a while. I can not help but think that the common denominator has something to do with the pork that was added.

I still mix pork with my ground, but do it just before I cook it.
More and more people I know are adding beef rather than pork for that reason - especially in sausage. I am extra carefull now not to allow air to contact my venison/pork mixes. All my meats are double wrapped - in plastic bags or seal-wrap and then freezer paper and all of the air squeezed out before the freezer paper part.