Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 04:26 PM

Default Dog treads water, in ocean, for 11 hours

https://globalnews.ca/news/6604073/d...australia/amp/

I call BS.

11 hours. In the ocean.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:53 PM

That's a hell of a long time to tread water. It's
got to be almost as bad as sitting with a CRA auditor and answering questions for an hour. Sharks are safer.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-28-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I don't know. While a dog doesn't have as much endurance as a person, that's not out of the question. A person can (some people) swim for a over a day. And they've found polar bears swimming a couple (?) hundred miles from land or ice shelf. They figure that a polar bear can swim for 3 or 4 days straight.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-28-2020, 05:24 PM

I guess if your only option is to breathe water, you try harder
Old 02-28-2020, 05:41 PM

Did he doggy paddle?
I'm glad I can throw this in peoples faces now when they critique my swimming form.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Meth dog.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's a hell of a long time to tread water. It's
got to be almost as bad as sitting with a CRA auditor and answering questions for an hour. Sharks are safer.
Pure GOLD !!! You just won the internet tonight
Old 02-28-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I don't know. While a dog doesn't have as much endurance as a person, that's not out of the question. A person can (some people) swim for a over a day. And they've found polar bears swimming a couple (?) hundred miles from land or ice shelf. They figure that a polar bear can swim for 3 or 4 days straight.
I'd say it depends on the dog. Newfoundlands have been known to swim 50 miles or more.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I'd say it depends on the dog. Newfoundlands have been known to swim 50 miles or more.
Wow. I wasnt aware

I just figured 11 hours seemed like an exaggeration.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 PM

They should change the dog's name from Heidi to EvanRude.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-28-2020, 09:20 PM

Serious question, why wouldn't an average dog be able to tread water for that length of time? I never would have guessed that dogs wouldn't be able to do that.

Wolves will swim for hours between islands.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Wait - did you just say dogs aren’t as fit as humans? The only dogs I’ve met that aren’t waaaay fitter than the average human, is because their owners are lazy sheetheads.
Now, in all honesty my gsp wouldn’t cut it, he swims like a rock - but I wouldn’t take a bet against a lab or similar. Also oceans are a hell of a lot easier to keep afloat in than fresh.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:47 PM

I seen a woman drop her weiner dog while getting into a boat,the dog sank straight down and the gal purse around her neck dove right in and plucked him out, I kinda got a good laugh watching her roll back on the doc with only one shoe and her dress torn up.

They yanked her out of the water and she hooked a nail on the side of the dock and off it came,only half of it. She wasn't to happy about her hubby pulling on her hair, hey life sucks some days. I had to drive away I was in tears laughing . She was about 2 hotcakes away from exploding, big gal.

11 hours is a lot of dog paddling, I say no way,if he drank sea water he would get sick after a short time or even die from that,so I say no way BS.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 02-28-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Wait - did you just say dogs aren’t as fit as humans? The only dogs I’ve met that aren’t waaaay fitter than the average human, is because their owners are lazy sheetheads.
Now, in all honesty my gsp wouldn’t cut it, he swims like a rock - but I wouldn’t take a bet against a lab or similar. Also oceans are a hell of a lot easier to keep afloat in than fresh.
Didn't say not as fit. Both dogs and their humans nowadays live lives that are generously described as sedentary.

Dogs might be described as endurance hunters, but humans are one of the top endurance athletes on the planet.

A fit human will outrun a dog over long distance and possibly even a horse. They are tribes that still run down deer to kill them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...runners-2018-3

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...outrun-a-horse

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ning-not-speed

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-born-runners/

I used to outrun our old dog when she was at her peak, in warm weather and in 2 feet of snow. Of course my *slightly* longer legs helped in the latter. 2 1/2 hours of running her in the snow would wear her right down. Could be a fair bit quicker in the heat. At the wife's urging, I had to stop her from killing a little rabbit, so I chased her in the summer till she was ready to lie down. And the dog used to get more running around than either of us would. We'd both walk her, sometimes separately, and a probably a couple times a week, we'd run her behind the vehicle for an hour or two on rural property or back roads/trails.

Pureblood!
Old 02-29-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I seen a woman drop her weiner dog while getting into a boat,the dog sank straight down and the gal purse around her neck dove right in and plucked him out, I kinda got a good laugh watching her roll back on the doc with only one shoe and her dress torn up.

They yanked her out of the water and she hooked a nail on the side of the dock and off it came,only half of it. She wasn't to happy about her hubby pulling on her hair, hey life sucks some days. I had to drive away I was in tears laughing . She was about 2 hotcakes away from exploding, big gal.

11 hours is a lot of dog paddling, I say no way,if he drank sea water he would get sick after a short time or even die from that,so I say no way BS.

JD
Well the dog in question wasn't a Dachshund, which aren't ideal at swimming. It would be a bit like entering Chris Koch in a swimming competition. While he has great endurance; by his own admission, he's lousy at swimming. Actually he says he can't.

Dogs can swim for miles, of course somewhat dependent on breed. Like I said, they are endurance runners, which translates pretty handily to swimming.

https://www.livescience.com/2898-idi...-revealed.html

And I know this isn't a dog, but thought this was fairly incredible. No reason a dog couldn't go for half a day without drinking sea water..

https://zooologist.com/how-fast-can-a-polar-bear-swim/

Pureblood!
Old 02-29-2020, 11:08 AM

A couple survived around 20 hours of swimming to land around Hawaii.

I read that the current was against them for quite a while. I think that the 20 odd miles could translate to a couple times that, if not more.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...arks-jellyfish

Pureblood!
Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 AM

I guess it depends on the breed, I'm pretty sure a sled dog can keep running and pulling a lot longer compared to other breeds. In some cases these dogs pull for 18-20 hours a day.

One would think the energy needed to swim would be similar.

That leads me to believe it depends on the breed and the fitness of the dog.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:58 AM

There was a story recently of a bloodhound that joined a marathon passing her house. Even with many side trips, the dog finished sixth. Ha!
Old 02-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I guess it depends on the breed, I'm pretty sure a sled dog can keep running and pulling a lot longer compared to other breeds. In some cases these dogs pull for 18-20 hours a day.

One would think the energy needed to swim would be similar.

That leads me to believe it depends on the breed and the fitness of the dog.
If you saw the movie "Togo" it gives you new respect for the endurance of sled dogs. Humans are not even close.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
If you saw the movie "Togo" it gives you new respect for the endurance of sled dogs. Humans are not even close.
I'd say most humans aren't even close, but then most dogs aren't either. Top sled dogs are the elite athletes of the dog world, and can cover 100 miles in a day.

But then again, humans can cover 100 miles in a day also. People have ran for hundreds of miles straight over a few days without stopping for rest.

It would be an interesting race. It would be interesting just setting up the parameters of a contest like this, to make it competitive. I'd say that when it gets stinkin' cold out, the dog would have the edge. But in extreme heat; humans have the most efficient cooling of probably all the animals, and that would be a huge advantage, and probably mean an "easy" win.

Pureblood!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I'd say most humans aren't even close, but then most dogs aren't either. Top sled dogs are the elite athletes of the dog world, and can cover 100 miles in a day.

But then again, humans can cover 100 miles in a day also. People have ran for hundreds of miles straight over a few days without stopping for rest.

It would be an interesting race. It would be interesting just setting up the parameters of a contest like this, to make it competitive. I'd say that when it gets stinkin' cold out, the dog would have the edge. But in extreme heat; humans have the most efficient cooling of probably all the animals, and that would be a huge advantage, and probably mean an "easy" win.

Yes temperature is a major factor with dogs. My GSP is still no quit at around 0C even at 9 years old. 10c and he starts to take breaks when doing a ball workout.
At his fittest/younger years he could destroy world record marathon times.

I watched a film at banff mtn a few years ago about skijoring dogs - gsp bred with greyhound. Their VO2 max was something like 3x the best human max. Crazy.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:16 AM

I was impressed with my Springer Spaniel couple years back. He trotted at 10 km/ hr following me on quad for a total of ~50 km. Their endurance is quite impressive.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 PM

Then there's border collies. The energizer bunny of dogs. Work their ass off for 14 hours and then still want to play hard! The toughest, most endurant human of all time would get his/her ass kicked badly by the toughest, most endurant dog species.