Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2020, 07:43 PM

Default Help with Camera Purchase Decision

Well, I am looking for a new camera. I currently have a DSLR system that I have not used in years. My I phone has been my go to . I am a very lazy photographer rarely come off auto. I don't want to carry a bag with big camera and lenses anymore. So I am looking for something compact with very good photo rendering in auto mode. I have you tubed everything out there "I think" and I want everything. So realistically I want to be able to put it in a fanny pack or small messenger bag, used for vacations shots, pictures of grand kids, Landscapes etc. I have looked at everything from $200- $1500. I do like the micro 4/3 offerings from Olympus as well as The Tough TG6. I would like to be under $1000.00.
The other thing, if someone has a TG6 how is the video and sound from the camera?
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:54 PM
Banned

Cameras such as the TG-6, though good, especially with their waterproofing will not give you the resolution that you are used to with your DSLR.
The best of the premium compact cameras (IMO) are the Sony RX100 series
https://www.creativebloq.com/feature...d-shoot-camera
The primary difference is its 1" sensor which is about 4x the size of the sensor in most compact cameras.
There are a number of different models that we carry https://www.creativebloq.com/feature...d-shoot-camera
If you are interested PM me and I can provide some insight and AO pricing.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:06 AM

Default Canon G7X Mark II

I picked up one of these and love it - I have lots of professional gear but this is my EDC

I take it everywhere now
Old 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Went through the same thought process a few years back. I sold my top end Olympus camera gear and bought a FZ200 by Panasonic. They call it a bridge camera because it is between the top end stuff and compact toys. It takes awesome pictures and video. Most impressive is the low light shooting it is capable of.

I see they have upgraded the FZ series to FZ1000 ( I stand corrected, looks like there is now a FZ2000 and 2500 at the top) and probably every number in between. Might be worth looking into as a few years back they were very well rated on nearly every site.

What made the choice for me was the eye piece to look through that was adjustable rather than the screen only and the F2.8 through the entire zoom range.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:30 PM

I'm also done with the big SLR's. I'm planing to get a Gopro hero 8 black and just us my phone on my next trip.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:23 PM

I'm on my 2nd TG-6. I've dropped it on pavement off my bike at 25kph, I've chased it bouncing along the bottom of a river while fishing, and despite a number of other cameras, it's my go-to, in-my-pocket, every day camera. I purchased a cheap screw-on wide angle lens from Amazon for it, and it takes amazing landscapes, architectural and general travel photos. The macro setting is superb for insects, flowers and the like. However, the zoom is limited - for bird photography I use a super-zoom camera, it's not selfie-friendly, and I don't do much video so I can't comment on the sound quality.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:09 PM

Default panasonic camera

Another plug for Panasonic. FZ200 has been upgraded to FZ330, still with 600mm at 2.4. The 1000 has a 1" sensor, great image quality, but more $, shorter zoom and too large for a pocket. There are hundreds of choices, but many recommend the FZ330. It has many advantages over my too expensive Sony RX10IV. I've yet to retire my FZ200.

Last edited by farmer60; 02-29-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:49 AM

Canon or Nikon make amazing cameras
Old 03-01-2020, 10:53 AM

Thanks guys, I picked up a compact Canon that will fit the bill.
Cheers